1.    #1  
    I have tried Mapopolis and would like to compare it to TomTom but I can't find a demo. Any ideas?
    just buy it. short of the initial configuration issues you may run into (which i never did thankfully), i can tell you- you wont be dissapointed. search around here and youll find most ppl feel the same way.
    ust buy it. it is the best. period. I've used it for about 6mo now and use the new version now. I've tried the others, they really don't compare. check www.semsons.com for a great price
  4.    #4  
    So I guess that means there is no demo?
    Quote Originally Posted by cnolan
    ust buy it. it is the best. period. I've used it for about 6mo now and use the new version now. I've tried the others, they really don't compare. check www.semsons.com for a great price
    Hi durex,
    how do TomTom behave on incoming call? Can you answer using BT Headset, just pressing green button (or center button in 5-way pad)?

Is TomTom weel integrated with keyboard, 5-way and palm menu? Can you use it without the touch screen or not?

Thanks
    When the phone rings you can receive the call. Unfortunately, it will not connect to your BT headphone (limitation of the BT specification on the Treo), but on my HBH-660 headset, I can press the button to force the connection.

You have to use the touch screen for most functions - this program is essentially identical to the version they put into their stand-alone GPS models which operate on a touchscreen. You can use the keyboard for entering addresses, etc. Unfortunately, the num-lock and caps-lock don't seem to work on the keyboard - you have to use the touchscreen for that.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    [QUOTE=emair]When the phone rings you can receive the call. Unfortunately, it will not connect to your BT headphone (limitation of the BT specification on the Treo), but on my HBH-660 headset, I can press the button to force the connection.

Thanks a lot emair.
    Let me understand better, sorry but I consider this aspect vitally important!!
    Wile you are driving using TomTom and the nice girls is speaking an icoming call arrive. The incoming call screen appear, you tap on answer and then you only have to connect the BT headphone with the multifunction button on the headphone? (on ViaMichelin sw you have to answer the call and the manually going out the navigation sw with 3-4 touch screen tap, before connecting the BT headphone. Very dangerous wile driving!!). When the call ends, does TomTom start again the itinerary authomaticly?

What do happen then if an SMS or a Calendar reminder appear? Just tap OK/Clear/Posptpone and TomTom keeps doing is work? Any crashes reported?

Last question, can you exit from TomTom just pressing Home (or other hw keys)?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Vittore
    Yes, it will work as you suggest when answering a call with the 5.12 version of the software. It is SUPPOSED to go right back to TomTom, but it doesn't seem to for me. I put a shortcut to TomTom within the Phone app, so one press (and one 'I agree not to drive into a tree and sue TomTom' press) and I'm back where I was.

I haven't dealt with SMS or alarms yet.

Yes, you can always exit from TomTom at any time with the home button or the other HW keys.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    Quote Originally Posted by emair
    Yes, it will work as you suggest when answering a call with the 5.12 version of the software. It is SUPPOSED to go right back to TomTom, but it doesn't seem to for me. I put a shortcut to TomTom within the Phone app, so one press (and one 'I agree not to drive into a tree and sue TomTom' press) and I'm back where I was.

I haven't dealt with SMS or alarms yet.

Yes, you can always exit from TomTom at any time with the home button or the other HW keys.

Thanks a lot.
    I have never used GPS, let alone on my Treo - but it sounds like something want! Can one of you using TomTom help me get up to speed a bit? Here are my questions:
    1. Is your Treo mounted on your car dash and can you really see the small Treo screen clearly while driving w/o picking it up? What kind of mount do you use?
    2. Which GPS bluetooth receiver do you use? I assume TomTom's own, but there seem to be a few choices.

Thanks,

Jon
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by floater
    I have never used GPS, let alone on my Treo - but it sounds like something want! Can one of you using TomTom help me get up to speed a bit? Here are my questions:
    1. Is your Treo mounted on your car dash and can you really see the small Treo screen clearly while driving w/o picking it up? What kind of mount do you use?
    2. Which GPS bluetooth receiver do you use? I assume TomTom's own, but there seem to be a few choices.

Thanks,

Jon
    1. I don't have a GPS receiver yet, but I do have the software. Going by my own experiences, the display looks just fine. Most people use those "air vent mounting kits" with a swivel neck, and I hear they work very well and are easy to install and remove.

2. I'm very curious as to what people have to say about both wired and BT receivers. I'm looking for something that's not too expensive, yet works reliably in the city (like downtown Detroit), and on streets with thick tree cover.
  12.    #12  
    Bt-380 from buygpsnow.com is awesome with the 650
    I've been using TomTom exclusively now for a few weeks and use the Globalsat BT-339 i.Trek M3 I got from Semsons.com. It works well. And, the thing is so small I can pocket it and forget it's there. I throw the GPS receiver up on the dash and use the vent mount that Semsons included in the package. It works pretty damn well.I use it in Manhattan and the outlying buroughs without much of a problem. Generally I get 9+ satellites in less than a minute on a cold start and damn near instantaneous on a warm start. The directions work. You do have to be careful at times: TomTom is based somewhere in Europe and their street atlas data is missing certain features, like telling you that you need to go through a tunnel or cross a bridge. For instance, to go from Queens into Manhattan via I-495 (the Long Island Expressway) can require going through the Queens Midtown Tunnel. Actually, I-495 goes right into the tunnel and comes out on 34th Street in Manhattan. TomTom, however, never says that you're going to go through a tunnel. It simply says to travel on I-495 Westbound to 34th Street and make a right turn. The map correctly shows this and show water all around I-495 for the tunnel part of the route. Also, I have to assume it is part of the building interference, but even when there are numerous sattelites locked, if traveling at a slow speed (walking, whic is one of the routing choices), TomTom can't seem to figure out at times what direction I'm going or what road I'm on. This has not yet been a problem while driving.
    There is an issue with acquiring the Bluetooth connection as people are discussing on GPSPassion forums. Basically, it can take some time. I can't yet find a foolproof way to have TomTom recognize the receiver consistently in a reasonable amount of time. It virtually always finds the receiver, but sometimes it may take 30 secs to a minute for this to happen.
    Otherwisem the Point Of Interest databse is awesome and the graphics are great. The UI is very well designed for easy touchscreen entry and finger selections. It is the most mature and capable product of this genre avaialable for the Palm, and I've tried numerous other packages.
    I've been using Tom Tom now for about 14 months in the UK. Overall it is very good.

I use a BT car kit and have set up the treo to automatically answer the call immeadiately. I do not have to do anything when driving.
    When the call ends I just press the end call button on the treo or on my BT remote control if the call hasn't automatically hung up by its self.

Tom Tom stops when the call is answered, but automatically starts again so you still get visual directions but hopefully it is obvious you DO NOT get spoken directions when on a call.

I am using a Holux GR213 wired receiver connected to a Seidio G2100S car cradle. I do not use a BT receiver (when in the car) as I can't use my BT car kit - the Treo can only do 1 BT connection at a time.

I can recommend the special John Cleese voice form the Tom Tom website - he is very funny & it adds a little fun to a boring journey!
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    To go blindly buy TomTom is just stupid. It's ok for car navigation, but it's virtually useless for anything else. The map data is ok for the US, but I've noticed many serious problems (wrong one-way info in wilmington). Can't store waypoints. I can't even add location markers 9 times out of 10.

It is polished, but things like the traffic info should be a free service for those who paid because TomTom is overpriced compared to their competition. The map overview mode is not good either. You should also be able to turn off the automatic zoom. You can;t select things on the map either, very annoying.

In the end, TomTom is decent, but it's hardly the holy grail of gps applications as many here would lead you to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    To go blindly buy TomTom is just stupid. It's ok for car navigation, but it's virtually useless for anything else. The map data is ok for the US, but I've noticed many serious problems (wrong one-way info in wilmington). Can't store waypoints. I can't even add location markers 9 times out of 10.

It is polished, but things like the traffic info should be a free service for those who paid because TomTom is overpriced compared to their competition. The map overview mode is not good either. You should also be able to turn off the automatic zoom. You can;t select things on the map either, very annoying.

In the end, TomTom is decent, but it's hardly the holy grail of gps applications as many here would lead you to believe.
    There may need to be some more enhancements. But, I have to say that IMHO it is the BEST navigational app for a PDA on the market right now. I have used it in several cities now and it has taken me directly the location I was headed for. Yes, I have encountered the wrong one-way info. But, I simply went to the next street and it re-routed instantly and took me where I needed to go (without going down the wrong way).