1.    #1  
    To achieve push email, I am using Chatteremail and quicksync through an SMS. As most of you would know, this is done by forwarding the email message in your inbox to xxxxxx@.messaging.yourmobileoperator.com or similar. However. I've found it useless and a bit compromising to forward important / confidential emails. Finally, I've found a way around it if you have access to a server running PHP scripts and can set up a cron.

1. Download phpMailNotification.php / phpIMAPMailNotification.php from ptonev.com.

2. When installed and configured properly, this script looks up your mailbox and sends a custom notification to xxxxxx@.messaging.yourmobileoperator.com.

3. Ideally, there should be a way to set up the script to run on arrival of new emails. But I couln't figure that out and set up the script to run at regular intervals. Anyway, the script sends out email notifications only when there are new emails in the inbox it is checking. I've set it up to send me a brief SMS "checkyouremail" every time the PHP script is run and it finds a new email in the designated inbox.

4. Since my hosting provider did not let me set up cron entries at intervals of less than an hour, I set up a web based cron at webbasedcron.com.

5. The only caution you need to take is that the script will require to place your inbox / server / password details in a file. I put this file in a password protected directory on my server so that nobody could have access to it. I guess if somebody finds his way to this file, they can hack into my inbox easily as well!

Anybody come across a better solution?

Cheers,

RK
    I don't really know about cron entries. However, it seems that what you are trying to do is easily done with an imap provider like fastmail or even better, fusemail.
    While this will work, a much more elegant solution (if you have a UNIX mail account) is to use procmail to do all the work. SMS messages are sent every time a new email arrives and you don't need cron.

Procmail snippet:
    Code:
    SMSSTAMP=`date +%y%j%H%M%S`
    :0f
    * ? echo NEWMAILTRIG_$SMSSTAMP | /usr/bin/mail <YOURNUMBER>@messaging.sprintpcs.com | tee
    You'll notice here that the variable $SMSSTAMP is applied to every SMS message, and is a conglomeration of the date, up to seconds. This is because Sprint will eat duplicate messages, so if you send your 'checkyourmail' several times in some short time span, it'll eat all but the first.

In Chatter, just use NEWMAILTRIG as your trigger sequence and it'll match it just fine.

Also, insure /usr/bin/mail is the right path (this is for Solaris)

edit: if you don't get it, use Fastmail
    Just curious...why not forward to a free fastmail.fm or similar IMAP account?
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    I actually have another problem with forwarding email from GMAIL to xxx@messaging.sprint.com. Sometimes, I get email attachments and the forwared email to SMS at SPRINT.COm never get to my phone. Only the TEXT emails will be SMS'ed to me. Anyone having this problem? or I missed a setting somewhere?

Kinda annoyed...I might try Chatter with forwarding it to AOL/AIM.COM mail and let CHATTER IMAP it "push".

GMAIL has a bit delay sometimes when try to POP the messages to VesaMail.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    From the OP:

However. I've found it useless and a bit compromising to forward important / confidential emails.
    But he was specifically mentioning that while forwarding to SMS, which goes through the carrier's gateway and is less secure.
  8.    #8  
    I am on a shared server and do not have access to shell. I believe that procmail code will require that.

RK
    Quote Originally Posted by codetreo
    I actually have another problem with forwarding email from GMAIL to xxx@messaging.sprint.com. Sometimes, I get email attachments and the forwared email to SMS at SPRINT.COm never get to my phone. Only the TEXT emails will be SMS'ed to me. Anyone having this problem? or I missed a setting somewhere?

Kinda annoyed...I might try Chatter with forwarding it to AOL/AIM.COM mail and let CHATTER IMAP it "push".

GMAIL has a bit delay sometimes when try to POP the messages to VesaMail.
    If a message has an attachment and you have it forwarded to xxx@messaging.sprint.com, it'll get bounced back as being too large. The better way is to have your message forwarded to your Sprint Email (not SMS) account - username@sprintpcs.com - and have your email account set to send you an SMS to notify you when you get a new email. In that way, your email won't get bounced back, and you still get the SMS message.