1.    #1  
    I downloaded Pocket DVD Studio and used it to encode XXX-State Of The Union for my 650. Then, I downloaded TCPMP and tried to play it, but got an error message says it couldn't play that format. I have tried installing the plug-ins, and the show on the phone using Filez, but the program still won't play movies. I even downloaded a trailer in mpeg-1 format to see if it would work and had the same problem. How to I get the plug-ins to work?
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
  2.    #2  
    Nevermind...it's working now.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    The problem is probably that there are a lot of different audio and video compression formats, and you have to pick a set such that:

1. Your video/audio conversion tool, Pocket DVD Studio in your case, has to support the compression formats corresponding to your input file. Apparently that was true in your case, otherwise Pocket DVD Studio would have complained.

2. Your video/audio conversion tool has to support output (to the 650, and thus to TCPMP) file compression formats that TCPMP supports. Check http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about for a list.

One annoying issue I found was that .AAC is an audio file format that many conversion tools support, in some cases the only format, but the as-downloaded version of TCPMP doesn't support .AAC. You can get it, however, from http://www.rarewares.org/files/aac/tcpmp.aac.zip. Both TCPMP and the .AAC plugin work fine on my 650.

I spent a lot of time trying to get good movies using ffMpegX (for Mac), and while it's a great (and free) program, I could never quite get what I wanted. I always got either input file formats that ffMpegX didn't recognize, incompatible video or audio output formats that TCPMP wouldn't recognize, or the video got squished/stretched. Also the files would only play on the Mac and not the Palm or vice versa depending on what audio/video/wrapper formats I chose.

Finally I bought the Mac version of Kinoma Producer 3 ($30 well spent) and now I make .MP4 movies that play great on both the Treo and the Mac (or PC, if you have the free quicktime player.) I haven't found a file yet that would play on the Mac that Kinoma couldn't convert into something that would TCPMP play. I presume the PC version of Kinoma Producer works similarly, but I haven't tested it. Here are the settings I found work the best, as always your mileage may vary:

File (wrapper) format: MPEG-4 - .mp4
    Video format: MPEG-4
    Frames per second: 30 (higher than Kinoma recommends, but I liked it better than slower, slightly jerky framing rates)
    Bit rate: 1000 kbps (but down to even 400 kbps looks decent if you need to save SD card space)
    Audio format: AAC (only choice Kinoma offers for MPEG-4 file format)
    Audio channels: Mono
    Sample rate: 22.050 kHz
    Bit rate - 32 kbps
    Audio boost: none
    Layout: full 320 x 320 (if you want to fill the screen rather than the 320 x 240 letterbox; of course this chops off the sides of the source video)

One may want stereo and/or higher sample and/or bit rates for higher quality audio, but isn't necessary for movies of family, train movies for my 4 year old son, etc.

Edit: dammit, I'm submitting this even though your problem went away...
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I use handbreak to encode, its free and runs great on Mac http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12987
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the informative reply, bobodobo! I had tried to e-mail myself the plug-ins and apparently that won't work. When I got home and used quick install to reinstall the plug-ins everything worked.
    Charles

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    This is a little off topic, but do you guys know how to view a playlist after importing files into it?

For the life of me I can't figure this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by chr1sny
    This is a little off topic, but do you guys know how to view a playlist after importing files into it?

For the life of me I can't figure this out.
    Tap on the TCPMP at the top of the screen (or press the upper right "MENU" button on the Treo 650 that makes the drop-down menus appear in most applications)

Go to "Open files" or just press O on your keyboard

Navigate to the folder where your movies are stored. You can press "All" to select all of the folders (and subfolders) currently displayed. So the files can be in any folder or combination of folders you choose. I like TCPMP's navigation (and just about everything else about it. It rocks!)