Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, could people explain what the options are for email currently on WM and why Chatter should be ported? I find myself with very mixed feelings about this.

Thanks.

Marc
    Pocket Outlook - more or less feature equivalent with VersaMail
    WebIS Mail - better than POutlook, better SD card support, but no IMAP push, no storage settings per IMAP folder.
    Profimail - full HTML rendering with images, no Sd storage, no push, fugly interface

Note that WM5 POutlook supports push but only from Exchange.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Looking at the feature comparison on your site, it appears that Chatter would be almost as unique on the WM platform as it is on POS. The only areas where it wouldn't be are:

Async operation
    Works Invisibly - No progress bars!
    Addressee auto-complete from Contacts
    Full HTML Rendering

WebIS Mail is a pretty good product, but not in your league. Should you choose to concentrate on Palm OS Chatter, you might wish to work with WebIS (who seem to be good folks who provide a high level of support) to help improve their product by the addition of some Chatter features. Personally, I'd rather see Chatter on Windows Mobile.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Marc, it's all about the push email, the exact same thing as on the current Treo. The only users who will be able to afford push email on the WM Treo are going to be (mainly) enterprise level users. Individual users will be able to get push email through a service such as mailstreet.com which offers wireless activesync and exchange email, but that will cost more than Chatter currently does with using your email or fastmail account.

The advantage to the whole wireless activesync is that it acts somewhat like Good in that all your contacts and calender can be synced wirelessly too, something that you can only get with Good right now for the Treo (at a very high cost compared to mailstreet). But then again wireless activsync is not a push solution, it's a user or timer inititated pull.

My .02
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    I left the Treo 600 and went to PocketPC and came back to the Treo 650 a couple of months ago. There was really only one main reason I came back and that was because of Chatter. There was just nothing comparable on the PocketPC and I was spoiled by it. So much so that I could not stay with the PocketPC.
    I've had to turn off push email in Chatter, sacrificing this great feature because I was missing too many incoming phone calls. This appears to be unavoidable in the CDMA Treos. If WM5 somehow removes this silly restriction, that would be reason enough for me.
    I now have a Sprint PC6700 running WM5. The built-in email program (called simply "messaging") supports IMAP and POP, and shows me all my IMAP folders, with seamless integration of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint attachments. What I miss most vs. Chatter is the ability to select from a list of SMTP profiles for outgoing mail from different identities.
  7.    #7  
    tangible - It's not a WM vs Palm issue (battery/lost calls); it's a carrier/network/hardware issue.

Marc
    If worst comes to worst, and palm doesn't release a new treo with PalmOS, or Access discontinues development on PalmOS, then I would really want chatter for WM 5.0. I don't know if I would get the Treo 700w or another HTC device, but I would really want the functionality that chatter offers now.
    Marc, I for one am going to give the PPC-6700 a shot and would be first in line for Chatter on the WM5 platform...
    I ordered a HTC Wizard (i-mate K-Jam) Monday past...i would be willing and able to test out chatter ppc should you create one
    One more reason?

EVDO apparently produces fewer or no direct to voice mail calls...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=96934
    "If you are a Palm OS application developer and are new to Windows Mobile, this page includes several resources that will help you get started."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/w...s/default.aspx
    Interesting comments in this thread. I'm actually considering moving to a WM based platform as at an enterprise level Palm simply has a hard time competing with WM. For the average consumer Palm OS is great. However, where I work (and that's sometimes the breaking point, isn't it?) I need seamless interoperability between the network and phone.

The upshot to this post is that I would only move to a WM Treo if and only if Chatter was ported to it.

It's simply amazing how a single software product as such (all other things being equal, of course) can dictate one's purchasing decision at that level.

Many of us are at Marc's mercy these days.
    To elaborate a little on that post .. Palm's best call and one that could really save the platform is when Chatter gets bundled in ROM with new devices, like an upcoming Treo 700p (if that's ever going to be released). I've read and read several remarks from folks sticking to their Palm-based Treo's only because of Chatter. Now if that isn't a golden combination and unique selling point for Palm, I don't know what is. All the other email solutions on both sides of the platform (Versa/Snapper for POS, WebIS Mail, Pocket Outlook) are simply not up to par.
    If I were Palm I would shove very large amounts of money AND developer support to Marc just to keep him away from developing Chatter for WM.

The only hurdle for Marc to take is far better integration with Exchange, both on the mail side of things and on the calendar push. I read a remark by David of Nexchange he and Marc were collaborating on that, which I'm looking forward too. It's the thing many many enterprises need and it's the only thing which would differentiate WM5 handsets from Treo's with Chatter when Exchange SP2 will be released (for that's the version where the push email will be native to both Exchange and the mobile devices).

- jp
    - always ill, but highly intelligent -
    webmaster Palmclub.nl
  15.    #15  
    djr - I have a pretty good relationship with Palm, but I don't think a bundle in ROM is ever going to happen (nor am I sure I'd want it to happen, frankly).

Marc
    Hi Marc,

Ok, that's really good to know. I wouldn't want to hear that Palm is slumping in this area as Chatter is one of the few apps that's really making the difference nowadays. Here's also hoping they're actively pushing it (Chatter) on enterprise level and not their own Versamail solution with Exchange Activesync, which is mediocre at best. I know they 'forced' (read: asked very friendly) you to sell Chatter on Palmgear, although you weren't especially happy with that, but it's a sign they (Palm) actually care to get the word out. My above remark was more a pondering whether that's enough, but from your point of view it is, and that's what counts, isn't it?

Bundling in ROM might indeed not be the best way, but bundle on cdrom then? Or Palm could provide a link in Tasks or Blazer or whatever. It's just scary to see how many people use their Palms and/or Treos with just the provided apps and maybe an extra game or two, without realizing *or* knowing the full potential of these devices. This has also been said before multiple times, but I also feel this is where Palm is really lacking. Why isn't there a link to the Expert Guides (albeit they are 'colored' to say the least, esp. the email solutions one) in Tasks or Blazer? Why doesn't Palm bundle these Expert Guides on new devices as an ebook or app or whatever? I just don't get that.

Sorry for the rant and being a little off-topic, but I had to get this out. Palm Benelux (where The Netherlands - my home country - is part of) is bundling a book I wrote (sort of like Now You know Treo) with every new Treo and other new handheld devices to get people started, but I wasn't allowed to write about Chatter or other email solutions, despite my various remarks this wasn't the best decision by them. I was *allowed* to write about other apps though (like pTunes or PowerRun etc.)
    Marc - one additional tidbit: there is no solution to retrieve e-mail from Exchange via OWA on the Windows Mobile platform. The OWA solution you are planning for Chatter would have all the same justifications on WM. I realize that Exchange 2003 SP2 will do push with WM5, but there are an awful lot of companies out there that are still on Exchange 2000 or that won't set up 2003/SP2 push for one reason or another or that don't have WM5 devices.

If you added OWA support and were able to port it to WM... you'd have even more of an advantage over the other (weak) WM e-mail clients.

Just more food for thought...

Pete
    I have to agree with Chatter being the one HUGE thing I will miss with my Treo, I have had it installed for a year back in beta testing and it saved me countless times for work. I am a Pocket PC guy at heart and the switch to the 6700 would have been a no brainer for me if not for Chatter. I will miss the simple use and interface.

Thanks for making a wonderful product, and if you do ever decide to go the WM route, I would be happy to pay for beta testing at any level.
    I wish I had a dime for every dime I have
  19.    #19  
    We'll miss you!

Marc
    Marc, you might want to check this out.

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...d.php?t=103666

I've made the switch over to WM and miss the functionality of Chatter each and every day (losing Chatter has been my only regret). Maybe you can work with this guy on something.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast