Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For the last two weeks or so, I have been having major problems with my VZW Treo 650. Soft resets, hard resets, endless reset loops; all borne out of unkown issues that can't be replicated or singled out. I unplugged the unit yesterday morning, hit the power button and then got stuck in an endless reset loop. I did a reset, was able to get the unit running and then experience all my preferences lost, all applications unregistered, etc. Other times just entering my password in Splash Money causes a soft reset which then results in the same as above... preferences lost, applications unregistered, etc. Yes, my data is still there, but obviously the T650 is not in the "state" I set it up in.

By process of elimination, it appears that the following MAY be cuasing some of the issues: BackupMan, Butler, Treo Guard, Handmark Express. I only say this because of the following: BackupMan has consistently caused resets for me after a scheduled backup. Some of the Butler settings seem to conflict with the default settings and/or Treo Guard. I use Treo Guard to turn on the radio in the morning and that has at times led to weird behavior and finally, Express will run the morning auto update and then go into resets, etc.

Again, this is not scientific and only from what I have observed... through clenched teeth and much swearing. (I have a busy job, two young kids and a wife and house that require my attention. I can't spend all my time on the damn Treo.)

Anyway, over this past weekend I put in the VZW ROM 1.03 update and for a short time was thrilled with what I perceived as a faster Treo with a better signal. Who knows... That was short lived and I got some of the same odd behavior going forward. Last night I did another hard reset, loaded the LATEST versions of the above applications and also disabled the above to see if I could get through a few days without any trouble. That remains to be seen.

So what is the purpose of this long story... On Bits N Bolts (BackupMan) website, it is suggested that due to the Treo 650 Non-Volatile File System (NVFS) and many people experiencing some form of resets, etc- a zero out reset may be a good idea. Since I have tried several hard resets... I wanted to do one last night. However, the instructions on it are ridiculous and I wanted to know if anyone has successfully completed one and has any tips on getting it done. I could not complete it for the life of me. A hot sync kept starting, which it is not supposed to, and I was ready to throw the damn thing against the wall. I will hold off for a few days and see how stable my T650 is, but each day it is stable, I will enable one of the above apps and see what happens. I will be honest with myself and say that I expect more issues and at that point, a zero out reset is my last option before contacting VZW.

Any clear "path" to a zero out reset and if you did one, what was the result??? More stable unit???

Any thoughts would be appreciated and thank you in advance.
    I too was told by bitsnbolts to try the zero out reset when their program wouldn't work as advertised with the 650 NVFS update.

It seems, and I would love someone to confirm or refute this, that the zero out reset doesn't work, or at least works differently after the update.

I was able to get the Treo to ender the described "dead" state after performing the acrobatic procedure. But the dead state lasted less than five seconds, not the several minutes they claim it must take before zeroing out the memory and coming back to life.

I asked here, the bitsnbolts folks, the Cingular folks, and the palm folks, but no one was able to confirm whether you can perform a zero out reset after the firmware update that addresses the NVFS problem.

Please enlighten us.
    HI Jeff!

Did you upgrade to the 650 from a prior device? If you did, did you just hotsync to your prior userid to transfer data to the 650? If so, we have some clean up to do.

Cheers, Perry.
  4.    #4  
    Hi Perry...

No, although I upgraded from a VZW T600, I actually followed Palm's detailed instructions and did the upgrade that way. I then added a few third party apps along the way, latest versions only, tested each, and really had minimal problems since getting the 650 in May. I also did this for my wife and although not a power user setup, her Treo is fine.

I did notice after my hard resets and then a hot sync that one file has not been restored or is an issue- something labeled connection manager. I don't have the log as I only hot sync at home, not my office, but that has been the case every time since the issues got really bad this past weekend. Don't know if that means anything to you.

Do you have any other thoughts or suggestions? I am literally afraid to touch the unit or make any changes. It has become that unstable.

Thanks...
    Jeff
  5.    #5  
    HELP!!!! Unf*cking real.

I was playing around with the Treo, in and out of Agendus and various apps through ZLauncher. I went into Palm preferences b/c I noticed the default e-mail app somehow got mapped to the e-mail button and after I mapped Snapper to it and tapped OK, it went into a reset loop and once again, back at square one. Data is in the unit, but all preferences are lost, all applications are now unregistered and this SUCKS!!!

I just said I expect more trouble and I can't even map a button in preferences without trouble. I am calling VZW now and demanding a replacement. I am really pissed off.

Any further ideas on the zero out reset? I would love to try that tonight.
    1. "Connect your device to its HotSync cable or cradle. The HotSync cable does not need to be connected to your PC, and it does not need to be connected to power. "

2. "Press and hold the Power button and UP on the 5-way navigator.
    While continuing to hold Power and UP, press and hold the HotSync button on the HotSync cable or cradle. As you press HotSync, make sure your other finger doesn't slide to LEFT or RIGHT on the 5-way navigator; it needs to be exactly on UP during the entire process. Although you are pressing the HotSync button, a HotSync operation should not begin."
    Are you holding the Power Button, AND pressing up on the 5-way? If so, your Hotsynch should not start.

3. "While continuing to hold Power, UP and HotSync, press and release the RESET button on the back panel of your device (where's the reset hole?). This is very difficult to do with only one person; you may wish to hold the stylus in your mouth and use your hands to press Power, UP and HotSync.
    Release Power, UP and HotSync."
    I find the stylus in mouth works, otherwise, grab a friend.

4. "If you did this reset correctly, the screen of your device will go blank, and you will not be able to turn it on. The charging LED will not light up, even if it's connected to power. It will appear to be "dead." (any other activity such as the Palm OS logo or a rainbow-colored Boot Log screen appearing means the reset was performed incorrectly; try again)
    Your device will appear "dead" for several minutes (up to 10 minutes). During this time, your device's internal memory is being reformatted. If your device doesn't appear "dead" for several minutes with the screen completely blank, the zero out reset was performed incorrectly; try again.
    After several minutes, your device will "wake up" and the Palm and Palm Powered logos will appear as if you had performed a hard reset. Eventually, you'll be taken to a series of screens to calibrate the touchscreen and set date & time."
    I think I've performed this successfully, although my device didn't go dead for several minutes, but for about 30 seconds.
  7.    #7  
    I tried that, but obviously will have to do it again. Holding the power and up button and then also pressing the hot sync button is NOT easy. My phone kept turning on or off and that was throwing me off a bit. Plus, my hot sync cable was connected to my PC. I will try w/o it being connected and give myself some room. Will need the wife for this one. I am hoping for a replacement from VZW.. will call in a few and advise. I do have insurance on it, but am prepared for a fight. :-(
  8.    #8  
    VZW is sending me a refurbed unit overnight. Don't really care it is refurbished, as long as it has the latest firmware and ROM update. So aggravated with this damn phone. Newman...

Are there any files from my last hot sync I should delete before restoring data to the refurb???
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1
    1. "Connect your device to its HotSync cable or cradle. The HotSync cable does not need to be connected to your PC, and it does not need to be connected to power. "

2. "Press and hold the Power button and UP on the 5-way navigator.
    While continuing to hold Power and UP, press and hold the HotSync button on the HotSync cable or cradle. As you press HotSync, make sure your other finger doesn't slide to LEFT or RIGHT on the 5-way navigator; it needs to be exactly on UP during the entire process. Although you are pressing the HotSync button, a HotSync operation should not begin."
    Are you holding the Power Button, AND pressing up on the 5-way? If so, your Hotsynch should not start.

3. "While continuing to hold Power, UP and HotSync, press and release the RESET button on the back panel of your device (where's the reset hole?). This is very difficult to do with only one person; you may wish to hold the stylus in your mouth and use your hands to press Power, UP and HotSync.
    Release Power, UP and HotSync."
    I find the stylus in mouth works, otherwise, grab a friend.

4. "If you did this reset correctly, the screen of your device will go blank, and you will not be able to turn it on. The charging LED will not light up, even if it's connected to power. It will appear to be "dead." (any other activity such as the Palm OS logo or a rainbow-colored Boot Log screen appearing means the reset was performed incorrectly; try again)
    Your device will appear "dead" for several minutes (up to 10 minutes). During this time, your device's internal memory is being reformatted. If your device doesn't appear "dead" for several minutes with the screen completely blank, the zero out reset was performed incorrectly; try again.
    After several minutes, your device will "wake up" and the Palm and Palm Powered logos will appear as if you had performed a hard reset. Eventually, you'll be taken to a series of screens to calibrate the touchscreen and set date & time."
    I think I've performed this successfully, although my device didn't go dead for several minutes, but for about 30 seconds.

Are there any updates on this? I have the 1.04 firmware from Verizon and for the life of me, even with 2 people it seems this reset is impossible to perform. I always get the rainbow colored boot screen and nothing more. I thought I would do this reset to get a fresh start. I have performed multiple hard resets but always wonder if stuff is left behind.
    Did anyone ever confirm that the zero-out-reset doesn't necessarily have to cause the phone to appear dead for a long time?

Because when I attempt it, it appears dead for only about 30 seconds, at the most.
    Just call me Berd.
    Same for me. 20-30 seconds.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Sorry if this is a stupid question....but is a zero out reset that much different from a hard reset? I am asking since I have had some issues with Treo's and was wondering if this would wipe my phone to a totally new state.
    It should not require a zero-out reset to do this. Use it only when the problems are really persistent, especially right after a hard reset. Or when you are going to sell your Treo.

A hard reset is like a "quick format" of the internal NVFS storage drive. A zero-out is like the "full format with data wipe" of the internal NVFS storage drive.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Thanks!!
    i too am having the problem.... when i do a zero-out reset.... the phone only stay's off for maybe 20 seconds.... not several minutes. how can i confirm if it really worked? anyone have any thoughts?

are there any utilities to check for data that is still on the device? i want to sell my treo and need to know sensitive data is removed.

thanks for quick answers!!
    anyone have a comment about my post just above??? i really need to verify all data is unrecoverable.
    Welcome to the club. I've had this piece of CRAP for 11 months now. The 650 was a great idea, with a gorgeous screen. IN REALITY IT IS A TOTAL PIECE OF JUNK.
    ~* Peace
    Something that seems to be common among you reporting problems after a hard reset is that you all seem to hotsync your old files back onto the unit. If that is true, try a hard reset, then reinstall all apps one at a time. I had serious reset issues when I tried to reuse my old backup after installing the updated firmware, but none what so ever reinstalling the apps. Yes, it is a pain since you have to put all of your registration codes back in, too. But it worked very well for me.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    I ran a zero-out on a malfunctioning T650 (SPCS) once. It had the original ROM update applied to it. It did the 10-20 sec blackout thing, but then came back up (was expecting 10 minutes). After that, I flashed it to the 1.08 rom. No longer could I get it to do the ZOR, it just was like doing a regular reset at that point.

I am not sure if it was a hardware issue creating the inability to ZOR, or the 1.08 spcs rom update. Anywho, I have a new unit now, and I have never had occasion to perform a ZOR on it.

Hope this helps...

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    HOw about on a cingular T650. I cannot hard reset. It's as if the UP is not registering... and I TOO cannot ZOR...

Can anyone chime in?
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com