1.    #1  
    Dial phone# via Treo 650 from PC - is it possible?

My 650 sits in a cradle connected to my PC. Is it possible to get the 650 to dial a phone# by clicking on a phone# in Outlook from my PC.

The main reason I want to dial from the PC and not from the 650 is that I have an application on my PC that is tightly integrated with Outlook.

Thanks

Tom
    PDA reach. best thing ever! http://www.junefabrics.com/pdareach/index.php
    I don't think PDA reach is doing what the OP wants to do. I think he's asking for the same kind of functionality you have if your computer is hooked up to a phone line, where it will dial numbers in outlook on your landline phone, and you can either pick up a handset or a headset connected to your computer.

PDA reach would only allow (as far as I can tell) you to dial a number by simulating the keys presses on your Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    I don't think PDA reach is doing what the OP wants to do. I think he's asking for the same kind of functionality you have if your computer is hooked up to a phone line, where it will dial numbers in outlook on your landline phone, and you can either pick up a handset or a headset connected to your computer.

PDA reach would only allow (as far as I can tell) you to dial a number by simulating the keys presses on your Treo.

Hey geneld

NOPE...

As dport said, PDAREACH is prolly the best phone/pc browser to use for making phone calls from your PC. You can use the PC keyboard to type the number in and then hit the PC 'enter' button and it will connect.

Or you can use the PC mouse and use the phones dial pad up on the PC screen, or you can connect from contacts or from phone log, or you can use a voice dialer program like voicedial by Voicesignal.

There is a slight delay on connecting with voicedial when using the PC to pull it up. Also Volumn Care works when using PDAREACH.

Also the call in progress screen is fully functional with the PC mouse with PDAREACH on the PC screen.

Chuck
    I still think you're missing the point.

My 650 sits in a cradle connected to my PC. Is it possible to get the 650 to dial a phone# by clicking on a phone# in Outlook from my PC.

The main reason I want to dial from the PC and not from the 650 is that I have an application on my PC that is tightly integrated with Outlook.
    The OP wants to be able to click on the phone number in Outlook, not the PDA reach application running on his desktop. All of the scenario's you and the PDA reach website describe manupilating the Treo via your PC either through the PC mouse or keypad, not using dialing capabilities built into Outlook and a connected PC modem.

If I'm misundertanding what the OP wants to do, then my bad and I'll step out of the discussion, but I don't believe PDA reach is the answer to the OP's needs as stated.

Hey geneld

I was addressing the last line line in your previos post...

I don't use outlook, so I don't know if the OP could dial using the T650 and Outlook. I would seem to me to be possible if the user had a phone/pc browser such as Keylink by Tapsmart, Mdesk by Motion Apps or maybe even File Point Desktop by Bachmann Software. These establish a connection from the phone to the pc through the serial cable.

I have all of them, so I will try it out.

Chuck
    You can test out with the Palm Desktop too, select a contact and right mouse click and choose Dial. This will brign up the windows dialer, which uses the modem to dial a number.

I actually thing PDANet from JuneFabrics might work (after looking at the website and FAQ there), I don't use it so can't say for sure, but it looks like it creates a virtual modem on your pc and would allow you to customize to dial an number.
    You can test out with the Palm Desktop too, select a contact and right mouse click and choose Dial. This will brign up the windows dialer, which uses the modem to dial a number.

I actually thing PDANet from JuneFabrics might work (after looking at the website and FAQ there), I don't use it so can't say for sure, but it looks like it creates a virtual modem on your pc and would allow you to customize to dial an number.
    Hey geneld

You are correct. The OP would have to use a modem program like Snap Dialer, Future Dial or PDANET and set up a modem connection. Sprint, for example charges .39 cents per minute for these type of connections.

It would be far cheaper to use PDAREACH or Tap Smart Keylink to make calls from the computer thru the normal cell connection. The user can leave these running in the background while working on the computer.

Chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    Hey geneld

You are correct. The OP would have to use a modem program like Snap Dialer, Future Dial or PDANET and set up a modem connection. Sprint, for example charges .39 cents per minute for these type of connections.

It would be far cheaper to use PDAREACH or Tap Smart Keylink to make calls from the computer thru the normal cell connection. The user can leave these running in the background while working on the computer.

Chuck
    Please forgive my ignorance, but are any of these products TAPI compliant dialer interfaces? In all honestly, I don't even know what the acronym stands for I just know that my ACT! software has a TAPI interface for dialing from the contact and logging call history as you go - now *that* would be something I'd pay for. Along with my BT headset (or BT dialing and wired headset) that would be a great setup.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the suggestions/discussion. Can I make myself clearer.

1. 650 connected to PC via cradle.
    2. Click/double-click on phone# in Outlook.
    3. 650 calls that number.
    4. I talk using my BT headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasAJ
    Thanks for the suggestions/discussion. Can I make myself clearer.

1. 650 connected to PC via cradle.
    2. Click/double-click on phone# in Outlook.
    3. 650 calls that number.
    4. I talk using my BT headset.
    If you have a program on your Treo that syncs your contacts with Outlook (Agendus, etc) and use a program called
    KeyLink, then you can visualize that program on your PC, use a mouse to dial that number as though you were on the Treo itself, and use your BT headset as you desire. There are other programs that more closely emulate Outlook, like Beyond Contacts by DataViz, but the interface is your choice. I don't believe there is any way to dial contacts from Outlook directly to your phone.
    David
    I cut and paste phone numbers into my Treo via PDAReach. I also cut and paste numbers into Vonage xTen Softphone. The latter more often than the former.
    Guys

Can you, using pdareach, then speak via the PC connected mic and hear through the speakers, can this type of handsfree capability exist with PDA reach or any other software, i'm not too worried about dialling but would like to talk via the pc, is that possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by adzo
    Guys

Can you, using pdareach, then speak via the PC connected mic and hear through the speakers, can this type of handsfree capability exist with PDA reach or any other software, i'm not too worried about dialling but would like to talk via the pc, is that possible?
    Well, I use VoIP over PDANet. Results vary. Will only do it if I need the Treo to connect the PC to the Internet.

However, I am not aware of any software that permits the PC speaker and mic to override those in the Treo. I do not even know whether the Treo synch cable supports such a function.
    Think of PDAReach just as a ghost remote control for your Treo. PDAReach does nothing to connect your Treo to your PC for PC-dialing and such. All PDAReach does is allow you to control your Treo screen via your PC, and put an image of your Treo up on your PC screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Think of PDAReach just as a ghost remote control for your Treo. PDAReach does nothing to connect your Treo to your PC for PC-dialing and such. All PDAReach does is allow you to control your Treo screen via your PC, and put an image of your Treo up on your PC screen.
    Right. And PDAnet does nothing but connect your PC to the Internet over your Treo. Both use THE connection between the PC and the Treo. Since the Treo can only support one such connection at a time, these two programs are mutually exclusive.