1.    #1  
    23 megs ain't much & I've only got 20 free, but I haven't installed anything yet

SO... Has anyone figured out a way to run Zlauncher & it's supporting files from the SD card? Its hitting my ram at over a meg (on the T3). Didn't care on the T3, but here I need it all... I've been experimenting on the T3, placing all the Zlauncher files in the PALM\Launcher directory. Its not working. Searched here, googled, looked on zztechs, docs, etc. No definitive answers on this one...
    My guess is that the more free ram I have, the happier my treo will be. That is a challenge.
    Also, I know that on the T3, nothing that needed to "wake up" the device, (alarms, reminders, etc) could be run from the card. Has this changed in the Treo 650?
    I am pretty sure you will have to run Zlauncher from RAM, and not the card. But you can use Zlauncher to move most of your other apps to the card. I only leave apps in RAM that regularly sync data. Everything else is on the card.
    Zane
    if your worried about space, dont be, zlaunger TOPS u can have 4000k.
    then u can put games on the SD card and use a short short which b will only about 40k to the palm. youll be fine. if u get a nice big size sd card (i got 1gig) i only have 10 games, ringo, verichat, pingy bank, everything is coming off the SD, i have 82% left on my SD and over 15 on my palm. youll b fine by just putting zlauncher on ur palm. no big thing.
    No idea what the previous poster was saying..

But anyway, pick a small theme and such on ZLauncher with no plugins, and it'll take just around 1M. But you can put nearly everything else that doesn't run all the time on the SD card and overall save yourself lots of internal ram and make thinges prettier and easier to use at the same time.

Don't get too hung up on how much space is free.. Leave at least 2-3M and you'll be fine. I have LOTS AND LOTS of misc stuff on mine and I still have 6M free. Just have everything possible on the SD card.

And BTW, get an accellerated SD card, it will really help with reading and writing. A 'normal' card is pretty darn slow, but a 40x or so flies. Don't go wild, anything over 40 really won't help much as the Treo SD card bus itself only goes so fast.
  5.    #5  
    Hey, guys
    Thanx for the feedback. I probably should have been a little clearer in the first post. The very first thing I installed on my T3 two years ago was ZLauncher. I'm pretty familiar with it's operation. I've got a fast 1 gig SD, and everything(almost) lives there. It's already installed & working fine on the new 650.
    The two questions again, are these:
    1. Is it possible to put some or all of ZLauncher on the card? My theme, icons, etc are big... But they're mighty purty!!
    2. When an app is moved to SD with ZLauncher, is any functionality, particulary pertaining to alarm/alert & sync/backup functionality lost?
    Trouble finding a conclusive answer on this. The following is from the PowerRun website. I need to know if this is only powerrun, or is it generic:

When an application is moved to the Memory Card, there will be some change in functionality (Exactly like the m50X series' built in function) as detailed below. If you do not like these changes, do not move the application to the Memory Card.

* Hot Sync will not backup that application and its data
    * Global find cannot find data in that application, except when the application is running
    * Application alarms will not come up
    * Application conduits will not work
  6. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    You can put the themes on your card. Of course, the active theme will be loaded into RAM.
    Yes, you can put *inactive* theme stuff on the card, but the active one must remain in ram.

If you make a shortcut (ie: use ZLauncher to place the files in /palm/launcher/zlauncher/apps/*) it will sync. But no, you can NOT put anything that runs all the time on the SD card, it will not work.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks, guys
    This was pretty much what I had figured, just wondered if anyone had pulled it off. It's official from ZZTechs:

Hello,

Thank you for your letter!

1. All files of ZLauncher must be installed in the internal memory.
    But you can install two necessary file 'ZLauncher.prc' and theme
    'ZLT_AguawoodXP_Hi_64.prc' on your device only.

2. If you want to use functionality 'Alarm, the application must be
    installed in the internal memory.
    The system do nothing with the application stored in the expansion
    card. I'm afraid we cannot solve it.
    Frankly, the alarm issue is way more of a limitation than zlauncher itself remaining in ram. That excludes some pretty big apps. I wonder if windows mobile has similar devils...
    Quote Originally Posted by dport
    if your worried about space, dont be, zlaunger TOPS u can have 4000k.
    then u can put games on the SD card and use a short short which b will only about 40k to the palm. youll be fine. if u get a nice big size sd card (i got 1gig) i only have 10 games, ringo, verichat, pingy bank, everything is coming off the SD, i have 82% left on my SD and over 15 on my palm. youll b fine by just putting zlauncher on ur palm. no big thing.
    I tried to move Verichat to my memory card, but the program says that it can not be run from there. Any suggestions on how to get Verichat to run from an SD card?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)