Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    my problem was slightly different: syncs would either fail to start or abort shortly after beginning. for a few weeks, turning the phone off seemed to work, then the problem returned. rather than get a new cable or reinstall drivers, etc., i decided to get a bluetooth USB connector, which hasn't failed, but is a bit slow.
    Same failure to recognize problem here. I tried switching ports, giggling the cable, blah, blah, blah. I don't have any electrical contact cleaner. I have found that licking the phone end of the cable helps about half the time.

I hate to spend the money for a cradle, but this is getting ridiculous!
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik57
    Same failure to recognize problem here. I tried switching ports, giggling the cable, blah, blah, blah. I don't have any electrical contact cleaner. I have found that licking the phone end of the cable helps about half the time.

I hate to spend the money for a cradle, but this is getting ridiculous!
    New cable equals no headaches.
    I am currently having this problem with one of my users.

You plug in the cable into the phone, it makes the sound on the Windows (XP Pro, SP1) machine that it sees the unit. You then press the sync button and it "starts" but then never connects and eventually times out saying that the connection isn't there.
    If you disconnect the cable, again the sound that Windows recognized something just was disconnected.
    The HotSync dialog never comes up on the XP machine.

We have:
    1) reinstalled Palm Desktop
    2) several soft reboots of the Treo (650 unlocked GSM, with the upgrade)
    3) tried every USB port on the machine, as well as bought a new USB PCI card and tried that too
    4) a new HotSync cable (sorry NRG, no go)
    5) restarting the machine
    6) restarting the HotSync program
    7) jiggling the connection

I have tried pretty much everything I can think of - the connections look very shiny - normally when the connection is dirty, it is visible either in a dull sheen of oxiation or dust/dirt.

I haven't tried removing the battery, letting it sit, and then putting it back in - might have to give that a shot.

During one of the attempts, it got to the spot where it recognized a user, but then it failed again. Normally never even gets to there.

It worked fine for months and the connection would sometimes drop, but jiggling it would help (and/or restarting HotSync Manager).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    It is a connector problem. If it wasn't resolved with a new cable, then it is the connector on the device. Sounds like you need to replace the device.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I too have had this problem a lot! After reading all the posts, I realized that the only thing I hadn;t tried short of purchasing a replacement or a cradle was to remove battery and wait... it worked the first time I tried, no wiggling, no licking, no eraser, no magic... so I hope that helps someone...
    I had exactly the same problems as listed above and cleaning the connector on the bottom of the phone just solved it
    Having tried all of the suggested fixes, I have come to the conlusion that the fault is in the Treo plug itself. Tried different cable, different computer, rebooting PC, rebooting Palm, hard reboot the works. luckily I can synch to laptop via IR, as long as I can wait 3 hours to complete the job.
    Anybody successfully claimed on warranty from Palm for this fault?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmackenz1
    Having tried all of the suggested fixes, I have come to the conlusion that the fault is in the Treo plug itself. Tried different cable, different computer, rebooting PC, rebooting Palm, hard reboot the works. luckily I can synch to laptop via IR, as long as I can wait 3 hours to complete the job.
    Anybody successfully claimed on warranty from Palm for this fault?
    Oh - tried cleaning connector too
    Found this post on Brighthand forum:-
    gaylen

Final Resolution - I received my 2nd exchange unit and it synced fine. It wasn't the software, the PC or my cables as the Palm support guy kept insisting. It was their product. I am extremely frustrated. This took hours of my time. I glad it worked out and all and I shouldn't sound so spoiled, but I just wished they would be a little more open minded about their own short-comings than always blaming everyone else for their problems. I would think that they test these products before they send them to at least see that they are working on the basics - like the syncing!
    I just had this issue come up, spontaneously. I really don't think this is a connector or cabling issue. This followed a "lost prefs reset" for me, so I think it is a software or hardware issue on the Treo itself.

Eric
    I'm on the phone right now with a Sprint technician telling me the reason I am having this problem is because I have iTunes and Hotsync installed, and the Windows OS only allows one conduit. His recommendation is to uninstall iTunes. Gee, I guess a Nano would make a nice paperweight. I told him if this really was the case, you would think three big companies like Palm, Apple and Microsoft could figure out a workaround. I asked him to produce something from the Microsoft Knowledgebase acknowledging the issue. On hold for 15 minutes now. . .
    I just fixed this issue on my Treo after about 6 hours of head-banging.

Here's the post:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=117982

Maybe this will help someone out there.
    E
    UPDATE:
    The Sprint PCS support guy finally gave up in his quest to prove to me you can't have iTunes and Hotsync installed on the same computer. The conclusion of the call was comical. Complete recap here:
    http://www.metamarshall.com/blog/200...of_my_lea.html

Finally, I called Palm. They had me do a hard reset, uninstall the Palm Desktop, and then reinstall. Worked like a charm. Palm said that there should not be any problems simultaneously running Hotsync and iTunes. Sprint support is a joke.
    From all of this, I can say that syncing with Bluetooth does have its occasional problems, but the idea of never having to plug the cable in makes those times one has to repair or reset the sevices well worth the couple of minutes or so taken. Ben
    I recently had this same problem. I could hotsync over BT or IR just fine but the USB kept coming up as unrecognized. If I moved the cable around a bit while it was trying to hotsync, I would get an odd little series of beeps coming from the computer. I tried the following:

1. Clean the contacts = no help
    2. Try new cable = no help
    3. Re-install newest software from Palm site = no help

What worked for me was removing the software from my computer and re-installing the software that came with my 650 from the original CD. My hotsync works perfectly now when using the cable.
    Got a replacement due to a hardware problem, then I ran
    into this same problem.

Removed/Resinstalled desktop.
    Hard reset 650.
    Blah, blah, blah.

Then I remembered seeing some BS from PCTunes fly by during my first
    sync on the new 650 about "helping" me transfer songs.

I went into Applications -> Delete on the 650, scrolled down, and there it was:

pTunes USB Helper

With the USB cable connected, I deleted it, restarted the 650 and now
    USB is recognized by XP and I was able to sync.
    I ran pTunes, and it asked me to reset again to enable file transfer or
    some crap. I did and it reinstalled the Nomsoft USB driver on XP, but I am
    still able to sync okay.

Now I'm going to try pdanet and see what kind of modem speeds I can get
    out of Cingular...

BTW: pTunes recreates "pTunes USB Helper" every time you launch
    pTunes if it doen't find "pTunes USB Helper" there.

As always YMMV,

wienie
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wienie
    Got a replacement due to a hardware problem, then I ran
    into this same problem.

Removed/Resinstalled desktop.
    Hard reset 650.
    Blah, blah, blah.

Then I remembered seeing some BS from PCTunes fly by during my first
    sync on the new 650 about "helping" me transfer songs.

I went into Applications -> Delete on the 650, scrolled down, and there it was:

pTunes USB Helper

With the USB cable connected, I deleted it, restarted the 650 and now
    USB is recognized by XP and I was able to sync.
    I ran pTunes, and it asked me to reset again to enable file transfer or
    some crap. I did and it reinstalled the Nomsoft USB driver on XP, but I am
    still able to sync okay.

Now I'm going to try pdanet and see what kind of modem speeds I can get
    out of Cingular...

BTW: pTunes recreates "pTunes USB Helper" every time you launch
    pTunes if it doen't find "pTunes USB Helper" there.

As always YMMV,

wienie

The problem with the 700p is there are 6 built in usb files that may cause a problem. I think one of them was ruined after a crash and hard boot. I don't know how to fix them.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    My HotSyncs between a Treo 650 & a Dell desktop computer running Windows XP Pro SP2 started failing inexplicably with the "USB device not recognized" error after about 10 months of no problems.

Following the advice posted on this thread, I cleaned the contacts of both the Treo & HotSync cable (the Treo end of the HotSync cable--not the USB end). I used Radio Shack Electronic Cleaner but I did not spray it directly on the hardware. I sprayed it on a cloth & then wiped the contacts with the cloth.

After the cleaning, the HotSync succeeded.

Even though the contacts look clean, perhaps they are fouled with a light coat of oxidation.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I can't sync either. I'm having trouble like crazy. I'm about to seriously throw this thing out the window. I tried everything in the post suggested and don't know what to do. The only thing I haven't tried was reinstalling the palm desktop.
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast