1.    #1  
    How do I get my name in the from line of versamail when I send an email?
    On your palm desktop software, click on the VersaMail icon. Edit the account in question. You will find it under one of the advanced settings tab. Fill it in, and you're set.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    In VersaMail 2.6, it's under Menu/Options/Mail Servers. Tap Details in the main screen, then under Options (in the Details screen) tap the drop-down and select Outgoing Mail. You can put whatever you want in the "Your Name (for display only)" field; when you send an e-mail, that's what shows in the From line.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
  4.    #4  
    I'm using v3.0 so I couldn't find the menu item Tom suggested, so I went to the desktop version as Pheath recommended, and that did the trick. Thanks guys.
    Hmmm. OK, what do I do if there *is* no "VersaMail icon" on my Palm Desktop software?

I use a Macintosh, and virtually all the help files I've been able to find list solutions only for Windows users.

(Please don't suggest "buy a PC." I will not ever own one again.)
    This just gets better and better. Searching for "VersaMail" in my Palm Desktop Help screen yields zero results...
    Quote Originally Posted by likelite
    Hmmm. OK, what do I do if there *is* no "VersaMail icon" on my Palm Desktop software?

I use a Macintosh, and virtually all the help files I've been able to find list solutions only for Windows users.

(Please don't suggest "buy a PC." I will not ever own one again.)
    right-click on the hotsync icon in the system tray and click on "CUSTOM". Then you'll see a listing of all the conduits that your Treo syncs with. Double click on the versamail one (mine is listed 2nd in the list) and you'll get to the settings for the account set-up.

hope this helps.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Thanks, Rob, but still no luck. I have no "hotsync icon in the system tray."
    This could mean a few different things:

* a link to the Hotsync Manager in the Dock, which is where Mac keeps its icons that link to applications;
    * some kind of link to something in the Palm Desktop interface; however, the only options are "new address; addresses; new to-dos; new event" and stuff like that, with no mention of Hotsync Manager.
    * A link to something that's not Hotsync Manager; to what I know not.

Furthermore, I'm on a laptop with a touchpad and can't right-click anything. I substituted the ctrl-click that usually works, but there is no "CUSTOM" anything I've been able to find.

So. The only option I really have left is to get into the Manager and tinker with the Conduit Settings.

Again, no dice. All I have is Address Book, Backup, Contacts and so on, with no mention of either "Mail" or "VersaMail."

Maybe it's backing it up as part of some database or other; more likely it's not backing it up, which is OK at this point since I just set up the account and there's nothing in it yet.

I've had a frustrating day with Treo generally. It quit syncing via Bluetooth and VersaMail crapped the bed...luckily I was able to fix both problems but man, I wish they made these issues easier sometimes.
    (Oh, and searching for "custom" in the help file, of course, yields zero results.)
    Well, suck. According to this thread:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...d=1#post822592

There is no conduit for the Mac for VersaMail. Which would explain why I can't find it.

It's not a dealbreaker, but it seems pretty painstakingly stupid for the Treo folks to design an app that <i>won't let you enter your name onto your email account</i>. I know we Mac users are in the minority, but many people believe Mac technology is advanced enough where we ought to be able to enter our names without difficulty.

Sheeeez. I love this machine, but I really really hate these PC-esque goosechases down insanely complicated dead ends.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    If you want to put your name in the from field you don't have to do it in the PC, you can do it entirely from the Treo.

Just to to Prefrences > Reply Options, then fill in the "Your name (in the From field)".

I also use the "BCC a copy" feature to send a copy of all the mails I send from my Treo to my home account as well.

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobh
    If you want to put your name in the from field you don't have to do it in the PC, you can do it entirely from the Treo.

Just to to Prefrences > Reply Options, then fill in the "Your name (in the From field)".

I also use the "BCC a copy" feature to send a copy of all the mails I send from my Treo to my home account as well.

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
    For some reason that doesn't work for me. I have my name in there now, but when people get my email, the from line sometimes comes in blank. I don't understand why.
    Jacob! YOU RULE....

Thank you! It worked!