1.    #1  
    Hi all,

My first post and this topic has probably already been covered so I apologize if this is a double post. Here's the thing. I just bought a Sprint Treo 650 off ebay but the seller says it's "programmed" for Verizon and when he made a test call, it said something like "Welcome to Verizon". What does this mean? Has it already been converted?

I am a GSM user and I'm used to just swapping SIM's but I know with CDMA, it's a little more complicated.

Any info would be highly appreciated.
    I would check directly with Verizon before finalizing the purchase to make sure you will be able to do what you want to do. (Or else you may be reposting it on eBay for sale.)

Cheers, Perry

(Have you scoured the CDMA threads?)

here is one thread I found by searching for "converting Sprint 650 to Verizon"

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...nt+650+verizon

Many more threads were also listed.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/26/2005 at 10:45 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I would check directly with Verizon before finalizing the purchase to make sure you will be able to do what you want to do. (Or else you may be reposting it on eBay for sale.)

Cheers, Perry

(Have you scoured the CDMA threads?)

here is one thread I found by searching for "converting Sprint 650 to Verizon"

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...nt+650+verizon

Many more threads were also listed.
    Thanks for the input. I read somewhere that I need what's called an MSL. How do I obtain that?
    I'll help ya out. I personally have activated one of these verizonized phones, and from what you said in the first post, it has already been done. All you need to do is call Verizon's CS and activate it on your account, which is kind of the tricky part. About 3 weeks ago, Verizon updated their 'MSD' I think its called (master serial database, or ESN database) and won't accept any phones not on the list. It is still worth a shot though by calling and trying to activate it, since you can already here their support if you try to dial out. You can PM me or reply to this thread with future questions.

-Mike
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKnoop
    I'll help ya out. I personally have activated one of these verizonized phones, and from what you said in the first post, it has already been done. All you need to do is call Verizon's CS and activate it on your account, which is kind of the tricky part. About 3 weeks ago, Verizon updated their 'MSD' I think its called (master serial database, or ESN database) and won't accept any phones not on the list. It is still worth a shot though by calling and trying to activate it, since you can already here their support if you try to dial out. You can PM me or reply to this thread with future questions.

-Mike
    Hey Mike,

Thanks so much. Since you've already done this yourself, let me ask you a few questions. Is there ANY limitation as far as using all the features and capabilities of the Sprint Treo on Verizon? I think I read somewhere that maybe you can even do a little more with it because Verizon blocks some features in its Treo's? Yet another person said I wouldn't be able to use data? I wonder which it is?

The seller also suggested telling Verizon that it's an old Audiovox phone. I am assuming this is to avoid having Verizon question as to whether or not it is one of their phones.

As far as insuring it, do you think I will be able to do that? It's an expensive phone and while I have never purchased insurance for myself, this is for my girlfriend and she has lost, dropped and washed phones before.

I should get this baby in the mail today. I can't wait to try this.

Thanks again for your help!
    WARNING: Verizonized sprint phones are WORTHLESS! This fact needs to be stickied for everyone here. Verizon changed the rules around 8/22, it is NOT POSSIBLE to activate a sprint phone on there service any more. Period. Furthermore, almost every verizonized phone is reported stolen from sprint (call and check if you like, give them the ESN). I would file a complaint with paypal right away.
    Strange that Sprint is acting like that, my phone was actually one of the Earthlink phones, that I verizonized. I don't think it was a Sprint branded phone since the actual hardware didn't have a "Sprint" text on the phone unit. Rather, it said "Palmone". I called up Verizon and with the anticipated CS issue, got it activated. Shadowmite, do you know anything about Verizonizing the Earthlink phones? I'm considering calling Sprint to see what they say about my ESN. The Earthlink phone was a heck of a deal, Officemax was selling it for $300 with a $150 mail in rebate just for buying.

-Mike