1.    #1  
    I got my VZW T650 and in generaly happy with it. I'm a very long time and what you may probably call "power" user of Plam OS. I got tired of carrying around both my T3 and mobile phone and though that T650 may be a perfect blend of phone and PDA.

There're fabulous aspects in T650 design, especially size and one hand operation, but I'm thoroughly dissapointed in Phone app in partucular and phone integration with PDA functionality in general.

Trying to use Phone app I can't help but wonder if app's developers really use cell phones since implementation of certain common features is totally screwed up and counterintuitive. I'm talking about things like dial shortcuts and extra digits dialing.

The whole failure stems from Favorits app (poorly designed by itself) being totally separate from the main Contacts app.
    1. Phone number and label in Favorites aren't linked to originating thru lookup entry in Contacts. As a result you have to mainatin two sets of entries.
    2. Single digit dialing shortcuts can't be assigned in Contacts, they live only in Favorites.
    3. Even worse, same is for Extra Digits, e.g. PIN, extension, international number after exchange, etc.
    4. I didn't find any way to insert pauses in extra dialing. C'mon, even cheapest, dumbest phones let you insert P or T symbols in phone number.
    5. Same cheapest/dumbest phones allow you to use two-digit shortcuts, not so $600 wonder.
    6. Back to extra digits. Why can't I send them by hitting Phone button like every other phone does? Instead I have to scroll to the onscreen button that's for 4 or 5 buttons away from the default button on a dialing screen.
    7. There's huge inconsistency in which button is used to dial a number in different palces. Sometimes it's Phone button, sometimes it's Center button, sometimes it dials immidiately and sometimes it opens a dialog.

Despite as I said being a very heavy and experienced user of Palm PDAs and various mobile phones Phone app really frustrates me. I can't beleive Palm came up with such a crap and that's on at least 2nd generation of Plam branded Treo.

My favorite, ages old Palm OS usability disasters like non-cycling dialog controls/menus, Contacts app that doesn't remember last viewed entry and, fainally, lack of Back To Last App button (yes, I know there're 3rd party apps for that) only add insult ot the injury and convince me that Palm is a dying platform that lost its sense.

So before with great pain and regret I turn to the dark side (e.g. Windows Mobile) let me ask if there's a replacement Phone app?

Thanks and sorry for a log vent.
    Quote Originally Posted by klopus
    <snip>

The whole failure stems from Favorits app (poorly designed by itself) being totally separate from the main Contacts app.
    1. Phone number and label in Favorites aren't linked to originating thru lookup entry in Contacts. As a result you have to mainatin two sets of entries.
    2. Single digit dialing shortcuts can't be assigned in Contacts, they live only in Favorites.
    3. Even worse, same is for Extra Digits, e.g. PIN, extension, international number after exchange, etc.
    4. I didn't find any way to insert pauses in extra dialing. C'mon, even cheapest, dumbest phones let you insert P or T symbols in phone number.
    5. Same cheapest/dumbest phones allow you to use two-digit shortcuts, not so $600 wonder.
    6. Back to extra digits. Why can't I send them by hitting Phone button like every other phone does? Instead I have to scroll to the onscreen button that's for 4 or 5 buttons away from the default button on a dialing screen.
    7. There's huge inconsistency in which button is used to dial a number in different palces. Sometimes it's Phone button, sometimes it's Center button, sometimes it dials immidiately and sometimes it opens a dialog.

Despite as I said being a very heavy and experienced user of Palm PDAs and various mobile phones Phone app really frustrates me. I can't beleive Palm came up with such a crap and that's on at least 2nd generation of Plam branded Treo.
    <snip>
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't believe all of your points are correct.

1) Favorites are linked to contact records. Create a favorite of type "SpeedDial" and hit the "Lookup" button. Linked.
    2) True. Single is only in favorites. This doesn't bother me too much.
    3) Agreed, this is stupid.
    4) Comma == pause. Comma has been pause on every phone I've ever owned, so this was natural to me.
    5) Two digit shortcuts? I've never needed that many shortcut numbers, but the Treo allows me to use A-Z, so that allows 26. I can't remember more that 5-6 anyway.
    6) I enter extra digits with the blue number keys while on a call. They're always active, regardless of screen, and are faster than typing on the display. Maybe try that?
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for help! Comments:

Quote Originally Posted by usurper
    1) Favorites are linked to contact records. Create a favorite of type "SpeedDial" and hit the "Lookup" button. Linked.
    Yes, but I meant it's not a "live" link - if you later change phone number in Contacts it doesn't change in Favorits and visa versa. So you have to do this twice.
    4) Comma == pause. Comma has been pause on every phone I've ever owned, so this was natural to me.
    Thanks for ponting this out but, starnge, on every phone I used "P" is a "Hard" pause (requires press) and "T" is a "Timed" pause (sends digits on auto after some delay). So comma is it Hard or Timed delay?
    6) I enter extra digits with the blue number keys while on a call. They're always active, regardless of screen, and are faster than typing on the display. Maybe try that?
    Perhaps I wasn't clear, my complaint wasn't about typing extra digits. It's about already having Extra Digits stored and making Treo to send them out while on a call. To do this you have to press on-screen "Extra Digits" button either with stylus or scrolling 4 buttons with right arrow button. That takes time and you have to look on screen. On most phones you simply press Phone button and it sends out Extra Digits. I frequently have to call thru exchange number various 12 digit or more international numbers and its' insane to enter them anew each time after connecting to exchange.
    There is an app called TAKEphONE (www.shsh.com/beta) which takes care of most of those problems. It also has a lot more features, I think you should try it (it has a 30 day free trial period) and you will love it.
    I've used TakePHone for years, and it may be exactly what you need, but that said, well, you haven't been playing with the Phone App enough.

Regarding your issues:

1. No, there is not a DIRECT link between the Favorites and your Contacts, entry, but this can have its advantages. BECAUSE they are not linked, you can change names. My Favorite for my friend says "Pat's Cell" instead of "Patrick Chen (M)." If they were directly linked, a lot of long names wouldn't fit on a favorites button.

2. You're right. Big freaking deal.

3. You're dead wrong here. Here's how to do extra digits after dialing. Highlight a Favorite button. Pull down a menu, and choose Edit Favorites Button. Tap the MORE button on the bottom right corner. Add your extra digits. Commas are pauses. This is a great way to add your VoiceMail PIN to the VoiceMail Favorite button.

4. Commas are pauses, as has been mentioned. This is covered in the User Manual.

5. OK, so there are no two-button shortcuts, but you CAN use ALL 26 letters of the keyboard to dial a Favorite, which is 25% as good (assuming you could make 99 speed dial entries on your old phone. I could, but never used more than 15 or so). TakePhone, BTW, allows two-button speed-dials.

6. See #3.

7. You ALWAYS can use the center button to active the highlighted on-screen button, which means you usually have to use the D-pad to highlight it first. The green phone button is provided merely as an occasional shortcut.

Hope this helps,
    Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    TakePhone is a must have application for me. It makes the phone interface much better than the built in application.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, I tried TakePhone and it's awesome. That's what Palm should've put in ROM. Thanks everybody for pointers and help.