1.    #1  
    ... connections over a carrier's network? For example, if someone were to write a "web server" for a Treo 650 could someone remotely connect to it? I would guess the carrier's would filter out just about anything incoming. I am unable to ping my Sprint 650, for example.

Is it even possible for a Treo to act as a server over bluetooth, or some other local connection such as the WiFi sled? I could understand a Treo being only a "client".

Thanks
    Yes, they can accept connections, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $The$ $problem$ $is$ $knowing$ $the$ $IP$ $address$ $at$ $any$ $given$ $point$...

Marc
  3.    #3  
    I installed HTTPD by Jim Rees, but it would stop within 3 seconds. Per the page below, Mr. Rees doesn't think that a decent server could be made for Palm OS.

http://httpdpalm.sourceforge.net/

For what i'm trying to do, I only need 'server mode' for about a minute or so. I've recently re-discovered VNC with the client in 'listen' mode. However, none of the Palm VNC clients that I've seen support the listen mode.

So, we're still back at the original question. Can Treos accept incoming connections over the carriers' networks? For example, if I told my friend my IP address, could she, let's say, open a web page on my Treo?

Are there any other 'servers' for the Palm OS; hopefully written for ARM processors?

Thanks
    I suspect this could be made to work; the implementation you're looking at is 3-4 years old.

Marc
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I once found an FTP server and a web server for Palm OS that worked on GPRS and T-Mobile, though it was not very fast. Theu were on an old Treo 270 I had, so not sure they'd work on the 650. Bluefiles turns the 650 into a bluetooth file server and works ok.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    I once found an FTP server and a web server for Palm OS that worked on GPRS and T-Mobile, though it was not very fast. Theu were on an old Treo 270 I had, so not sure they'd work on the 650. Bluefiles turns the 650 into a bluetooth file server and works ok.
    So you could "download" files off of your phone from the Internet? That would be great. Do you remember the FTP server?

Thanks
    I tried to ping my treo IP address, but it timed out. I have T-Mobile VPN and I do get a real dynamic IP address when I connect.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad