View Poll Results: the freeze issue is a fact: what to do now?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • wait for a firmware upgrade

15 50.00%
  • ask for a replacement

4 13.33%
  • ask for money back

2 6.67%
  • live with it

9 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    so we have the freeze issue, it's a fact. now I wonder what to do:

to wait for a firmware upgrade: it could take very long, assuming it is a software bug;

to ask for a replacement: the refurbished unit you'll have in turn could have the same freezing issue, as well as (many) other bugs.

to ask for money back: this could be complicated, and... can you live without a Treo?

if Palm will tell us something more, we could decide the best option for us and them.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
    Here's my first suggestion. Stop posting useless stupid polls.
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Geez Oscar.
    if your having an freeze issue then i would suggest a hr and adding apps one by one.. If the problem continues with a virgin phone they you need a replacement.. the only time i had this issue it was with ringo..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Yeah, you left off the "hard reset" option.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    It has been suggested to leave your Treo idling in an app that does not display the signal strength indicator in the menu bar. I have not experienced the freeze myself, and at best, this would be a work around if in fact it does help.
    wtf is the freeze issue? my 650 doesn't freeze.
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgarza
    wtf is the freeze issue? my 650 doesn't freeze.
    check link in first post.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  9.    #9  
    it's a serious issue, it doesn't affect all treos, but if a device got it, then it is not due to a 3rd party app. there's no relationship with which app was active at the time, neither with the signal strength indicator, nor without.

this is the thread that discuss the issue: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...threadid=95122
  10.    #10  
    no, it's not due to the signal strength indicator, nor to an alarm left on the screen, as you stated in slows to a crawl thread.

the issue comes even after an hardware reset, with the Calc app left active and no alarm defined. it seems it's related to poor signal quality indeed.

I think any thread which talks about this is useful: when you realize you got a non working unit, and there's no firmware fix, and you can't be sure Palm will return a refurbished working one, you're in troubles.
    I find it only happens with my (fairly full) 2GB SD card in.
  12.    #12  
    it seems a new GSM firmware version is going out: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=97097

let's hope for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Yeah, you left off the "hard reset" option.
    The hard rest option is not an option. I got freezes on 4 GSM 650s, two of them was virgin.

We discovered that this is not a 3rd party apps related problem.
    Do you think that having a phone that loose your call+SMS+MMS forever is a stupid thing??????? You probably do not use your mobile for work or for security reason.......or better you don't know wich problem we are talking about.

Before insulting someone else thoughts, reed better Threads where you are quoting in.
    Matro I agree totally with you: THE FREEZING PROBLEM IS A FACT (for GSM 650 at least). No matter to say the opposite.

- I voted this only because I LOVE too much 650 features and stability (except freezing problem)!!! I'm really reading about FW 1.43 every spare minute of my working day!!

- I think that after 4 faulty Treo (plus 3 for a friend of mine) a request of replacement would be useless.

- I can not live with it, it's to dangerous to have a phone that doesn't act like a phone, even if this problem occurs rarely.

I escaleted my problem directly to Palm Italy/Europe managment trough Vodafone Italy (a retailer/service provider like Sprint or Cingular in US).
    I'm waiting to be contacted by them and if the will not state that they are aware about the problem and that know how to solve it (I don't care if via a new FW and/or HW replacement) I'll be sadly obliged to ask for a full pay back.
    A friend of mine is an advocate and he says that I have all prerogatives to obtain a full pay back.

I'll keep you updated about what Palm Italy/Europe is proposing to me.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by vittogn
    I escaleted my problem directly to Palm Italy/Europe managment trough Vodafone Italy (a retailer/service provider like Sprint or Cingular in US).
    how you did it? why you've escalated through Vodafone?
    Quote Originally Posted by matro
    how you did it? why you've escalated through Vodafone?
    Because we (me and a friend of mine) bought our 650 in a Vodafone shop.
    (Sorry for my bad English)
    I own 650 for 6 months. My only problem was overnight freezing. Approximate once a week, phone was dead in the morning. I was always suspecting temperature changes, because I used to leave treo on window shelf. Now when days are much colder, he starts freezing at day, when I was carrying it in my side case. At the end he was freezing daily. I was desperate. And then one day he froze with screen light on. He was definitely frozen not slow. Signal meter was on maximum, but it stated »no service available«. Then I remembered advices from treocentral board in I putted two sheets of paper behind my SIM card. Now 14 days later I haven’t had single froze. I’m keeping my fingers crossed…
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    This sounds somewhat familiar to an issue I/we used to have on Kyocera 7135s that was solved by unchecking the box "Enable Local Network Time" under preferences, date & time. Has anyone tried this to see if it fixes the issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by robimaja
    (Sorry for my bad English)
    I own 650 for 6 months. My only problem was overnight freezing. Approximate once a week, phone was dead in the morning. I was always suspecting temperature changes, because I used to leave treo on window shelf. Now when days are much colder, he starts freezing at day, when I was carrying it in my side case. At the end he was freezing daily. I was desperate. And then one day he froze with screen light on. He was definitely frozen not slow. Signal meter was on maximum, but it stated »no service available«. Then I remembered advices from treocentral board in I putted two sheets of paper behind my SIM card. Now 14 days later I haven’t had single froze. I’m keeping my fingers crossed…
    Robi,
    I read about this workaround, but unfortunately even some 650 with the new simtray (that does exactly what you obtained with paper) reported a freeze. BTW I cross finger for you (I'll try it too) even if I don't think this can be the "final solution" to our problem.

For what the temperature is concerned, both me and a friend of mine reported freezes in normal temperature conditions with no significant changes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast