Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've repeatedly asked them to support Gallery and other user-hosted picture software packages.

I'm already paying for a webhost. I'm not interesting in having another domain or paying an additional fee to host.
    Ok, now that I've slept on my anger, I've thought about this a bit....

While I also hate subscription services, I do sort of understand WHY they might have to start asking people to upgrade AFTER 100 free photos. They are providing all the web space/storage! If EVERYONE (and their grandma) uses Splashblog and is storing thousands of pictures, they are having to keep up with all the hosting of the pictures. Now what they COULD do is release a standalone photo gallery that you could install on your OWN hosting, and then you could store the photos directly to your server and host the photos and not have to pay a yearly subscription.

Otherwise, their profits are eaten up by the hosting of everyone's pictures and we'll soon have to have advertisements all over the screen! ha....

Anyways, just my 2 cents....I'm still not happy about it, and I like my solution above better. I sure don't think $30 is going to fly with many people....not with me anyways. If I HAD to pay, maybe $10 a year or so....but again, subscription are the devil....
  3. rg1
    That logic doesn't hold up when you consider gmail. Google provide 2.5GB of FREE mail storage. Google would love EVERYONE to use their gmail account. Similarly, splashdata should also want everyone to use splashblog... it'd be one heck of a business.
    I agree....but that's an unfair comparison don't you think? SplashData is NOT Google. If SplashData enjoyed the type of revenue that Google does, then I would assume that yea, they would gladly give unlimited free hosting. This is, I assume, a rather small company that puts out a nice suite of software products for smartphones....
    I have done this with the new version.

You have to go to the top page, hit close and close again, and then sync. Then the add button reappears.
    Quote Originally Posted by rg1
    That logic doesn't hold up when you consider gmail. Google provide 2.5GB of FREE mail storage. Google would love EVERYONE to use their gmail account. Similarly, splashdata should also want everyone to use splashblog... it'd be one heck of a business.
    I agree somewhat. Google is ad supported, and I certainly don't want to see that with a moblog.

But Snapper needs to pick a business model and stick with it. Either give away the app for free to get people to buy an annual subscription to the hosting service, or use the free hosting to sell the app.

But not both.
  7. rg1
    I'll take those text only ads with gmail over paying $30/yr to splashdata.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    I agree....but that's an unfair comparison don't you think? SplashData is NOT Google. If SplashData enjoyed the type of revenue that Google does, then I would assume that yea, they would gladly give unlimited free hosting. This is, I assume, a rather small company that puts out a nice suite of software products for smartphones....
    just wondering, do you work for splash data?
  9.    #29  
    If they added video, longer than 10 seconds of it, maybe i'd understand...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by gadraw
    just wondering, do you work for splash data?
    lol....no....why would you assume that? Have you not read through all my posts in this thread?
    Here is a reply from SplashData regarding my concerns on subscription services....

Thanks for the reply.

It is a pro service. You can limit your photo blog to 100 photos and it will be free. The price is comparable to Flikr's pro subscription, with plenty of incomparable features.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
    Flickr provides so much more than SplashBlog in my opinion (storing all types of photos including camera phones, storing originals, support for popular blogs w/ text, etc). And they only charge $24.95. SplashBlog seems too much like a niche product to me, and $30 is like the nail in the coffin.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
    I went ahead and received my year free per there clause. Thanks for posting the coupon code. I agree $30 a year is a bit too much. Perhaps it will change.
    Anyone notice that SplashBlog has been down all day?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12