1.    #1  
    I've had the 600 for a couple of years now, and I'm not doing as much business travel as I used to. I have a Sprint PCS plan that gives me 300 anytime minutes and unlimited Vision, and my bill is between $50 and $55 each month. I've used 12 voice minutes so far this month, and I don't think I've used Vision at all.

I like that my Treo has my entire Outlook phone book and calendar - I never liked carrying a cell phone AND a Palm. But the plans that appear to be available for this phone don't make economic sense to me.

Any advice on how I can continue to get the most out of this device without paying an arm and a leg for minutes and data that I don't use? The ideal thing would be a prepaid plan of some kind, but I don't know of any for this phone. I also don't know of any prepaid plans with access to data.

In the alternative, I'd be willing to switch to a different phone if it had a decent calendar function and a prepaid plan available.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tracey
    Last edited by tmccartney66; 09/24/2005 at 08:18 AM.
    I don't know how CDMA phones work with pay as you go plans or how complex it is to convert accounts.

I have used my Treo (TMo) with pay as you go SIM card and it works with the regular free data access of what is offered (t-zones).

In short, it works with pay as you go plans.
    I dont think the question should be whether or not you need a treo, but whether you needa cell phone. 12minutes on the phone in a month? I spend that a day calling home. You are wasting your money.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I don't know how CDMA phones work with pay as you go plans or how complex it is to convert accounts.

I have used my Treo (TMo) with pay as you go SIM card and it works with the regular free data access of what is offered (t-zones).

In short, it works with pay as you go plans.
    I have Eudora for checking POP3 e-mail. If I could get my hands on a T-Mo Treo, would I still be able to do things like that? And would data time just count against my prepaid minutes?

Thanks!

Tracey
    I don't use Eudora but if Eudora could go through t-zones then you could get your email without using your prepaid minutes. TZones is free with prepaid.

On the other hand, TMo allows you to access your POP3 email thru T-zones directly.

What is the email domain you subscribe to (i.e.: myemail@domain.com)? You don't have to tell me your email, just the domain portion.

Can anyone open an email account with that domain? Let me see if I could test it for you.
  6.    #6  
    I have addresses at mccartney.net and fairhousing.com (the site I run at work).

You said:

On the other hand, TMo allows you to access your POP3 email thru T-zones directly.

How does this work?

Thanks!
    Tracey
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I dont think the question should be whether or not you need a treo, but whether you needa cell phone. 12minutes on the phone in a month? I spend that a day calling home. You are wasting your money.
    I agree. Dump the data plan, get the cheapest voice plan offered, and continue to use your Treo as a PDA rather than a wireless device.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmccartney66
    I have addresses at mccartney.net and fairhousing.com (the site I run at work).

You said:

How does this work?

Thanks!
    Tracey
    T-zones allow allows you direct access to any standard e-mail client that supports the POP protocol. Anyway, I just checked my prepaid account, it does not allow access to email. Sorry for the misinformation.

The t-zone that comes with standard paid account does allow access for email.
    for $29 a month I think you can get 300 minutes and unlimited t-zones. I pay $40 for 1000 minutes and free evenings and weekends... I use about 350-400
    Or you get the Basic plan of $19.99 + T-Mobilweb (which is T-zone) at $5.99 ...
  11.    #11  
    Because I use my Treo for voice so little, I'm not going to get any more voice plans. I won an Ebay auction on an unlocked phone I can use with T-Mobile prepaid. I had a brief flirtation over the weekend with a Motorola V330, which is a small and beautiful phone, but I decided I would just miss having a Treo too much.

So the Treo will be mostly a PDA that does occasional phone calls. I can get 1000 minutes for $100, and they don't expire for a whole year. That'll pay for itself in two months of Sprint PCS bills I won't be getting.

I'll deal with the data issue later after I see how much I need mobile web and e-mail.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice...

Tracey
    It appears the decision is made, but there is another alternative that may work. Get a voice plan on T-Mobile, and dial up to a free ISP. There are many localities that have free ISPs. Given that long distance is free on cellular networks, you can dial up to one of those (presuming there is no restriction on residency).

This option does not work on T-Mobile ToGo, the prepaid service (at least not in my region).

Cingular blocks this capability, but T-Mobile allows it.