1.    #1  
    Ok, I know this information has to be on this forum somewhere, but I guess I am searching for the wrong terms -- I keep ending up with 9 pages of hits...

Anyway, I would appreciate some assistance (steps or link to info) on how best to clean up my Treo & start from a clean state. I've had enough time to know what I want on the device now and how I want it setup.

I know that I can do a hard reset and wipe the device, but when I put my hotsync name back in and sync, I'm back where I started. I need to keep the hotsync name for some software that I have purchased.

Should I delete the info from the PC somehow? Some friendly pointers please...

Thanks
    hard reset
    rename the backup folder on the PC to backupold
    (Programs, Palm, userid, backup)
    hot sync
    all you PIM DATA WILL RETURN BUT NO 3RD apps
    install desired 3rd party apps fresh
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    hard reset
    rename the backup folder on the PC to backupold
    (Programs, Palm, userid, backup)
    hot sync
    all you PIM DATA WILL RETURN BUT NO 3RD apps
    install desired 3rd party apps fresh
    by PIM data do you mean contacts and calendar information?
    Yes. Anything in your Outlook or Palm Desktop (depending on what you sync with).
    thanks.
    PIM Data is memos, contacts, appointments and tasks.
    ahh, even more okay thanks. I'm going to do this procedure on my T600 on general principles...and the fact that I'm tired of flaky behavior with the LED, white screen of death, etc!
    to start a new, its better to go into the palmone folder on your pc and save your contacts, memos, task etc. to the desktop. then do a zero out reset, getting rid of saved preferences and all. then sync over you contacts etc.

p.s.
    i think perry knows the exact files you have to save
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    to start a new, its better to go into the palmone folder on your pc and save your contacts, memos, task etc. to the desktop. then do a zero out reset, getting rid of saved preferences and all. then sync over you contacts etc.
    Saving all that info to the desktop is not nessessary. The key is to rename the backup folder associated with your hotsync name. Something like backup_old, or I myself prefer backup_date, with "date" being the date I did the housecleaning on my Treo. Hard (or zero out) reset your Treo and resync, being sure to select the correct username name from the dialog that will appear. This process with create a clean backup folder for your username and ONLY restore the built in PIM info.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    I agree with cgordonn. I do the same thing when having to wipe out someone's local profile on a computer. Don't confuse yourself with moving something out of there. Keep it all in one location so it is easier to go back if necessary.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for all the tips and advice. I've decided that this morning is "clean out Treo" time
    How to restore VersaMail settings and emails?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(36541),ts=Palm_External2001

goes into details about Versamail and it's files. They have the creator ID of asc3 or asc4.

These are backed up to the Backup folder on the PC. Thus, when you rename the backup folder, you'll lose your e-mails. Some files are also stored in the Versamail directory on the PC. These would normally restore Versamail settings and messages when you hotsync.

My advise: Start fresh. Re-create the Versamail accounts and re-download the e-mails from the mail servers.

When I do a clean install, I try to avoid using any of my previous files or databases. Also, if you were considering using an Uninstall Manager (like from NorthGlide)
    http://www.northglide.com/um.html
    then this is the best time to start.. before you re-install any applications.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A