Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to record Phone calls with the TREO 650, or is there a program that does this automatically? If so, where can I purchase it? Thank You.
    I doubt this is what you're looking for, but I remember there was a Radio Shack interface I could use between the Kyocera 7135 and a tape (or digital) recorder. I'd like to do this with the Treo. (I don't think there's a way to record digitally to the SD card without additional hardware.) Anyone know what I'd need to buy?
    I would think that a program designed specifically to do this would be illegal, as I think recording a phone conversation without the other party being aware, which would be very easy with this type of program, is against the law.
    Palm Treo 680
    Unlocked GSM
  4.    #4  
    its perfectly legal, because most if not all motorola phones can record conversations. i remember when i was with nextel, i was recording business conversations.... Its perfectly legal. Hmmm time to give suggestions to Palm Programmers....
    see this thread for some acceptable solutions
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...g+conversation
    if quality is the most important thing then you would need this ....

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=17-855
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimzo
    if quality is the most important thing then you would need this ....

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=17-855
    Yes! That's the one I used with the Kyocera. Can anyone confirm it works with the Treo's 2.5mm jack? I don't know whether the Treo's jack is standard for this purpose.
    Why is this legality thing still brought up. Even if there were separate state to state laws...isn't it perfectly legal to record something that's on your sound card.

I've heard (never actually looked up the laws myself) that recording internet radio shows/songs is perfectly legal because they're on your sound card...same goes for hooking up a cd player with a cord to your line-in/mic jack. Perfectly legal!

How would a phone conversation be any different?
    mVoice for Treo by Motion Apps will record phone conversations. Very handy for recording directions, phone numbers, shopping lists, etc. while you're driving or otherwise unable to write things down.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo
    mVoice for Treo by Motion Apps will record phone conversations. Very handy for recording directions, phone numbers, shopping lists, etc. while you're driving or otherwise unable to write things down.
    So no need to put on speakerphone or anything? Does it record to the SD card? Is it in a format that can be opened/played on a PC? I ask because I'm a reporter and wonder whether I can use it to record phone interviews.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    If I remember the law correctly, recording personal conversations (non-business conversations) is only legal if at least one party knows. If it's a business conversation, then the customer must know. If the call is being recorded by a third party, this is when it's illegal without a wire-tap warrant.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WildFireX
    If I remember the law correctly, recording personal conversations (non-business conversations) is only legal if at least one party knows. If it's a business conversation, then the customer must know. If the call is being recorded by a third party, this is when it's illegal without a wire-tap warrant.
    You are correct in some states, dead wrong in others. States laws are either divided one-party consent or all-party consent states. In a one party consent jurisdiction, you are right. So long as one party to the conversation, even without disclosing it to the other parties, consents to the recording then ANYONE can record the conversation, including -- obviously -- the one party who is consenting. However, in all-party consent jurisdictions, everyone who is a party to the conversation must consent to its recording. In those jurisdictions, the only way law enforcement can record a conversation is with a warrant, even if a law enforcement officer is a party to the conversation. Also, I've never see a law that distinguishes between recording a call or recording a live conversation.

By the way, several cases in various jurisdictions hold that the law that is applied is the law of the state you are located while taping, not the law of the state from where the person who is unaware of the recording is located.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for your help guys, im giong to read up on the mvoice, i guess if i have any other issues, or problems i'll be right back here. I don't think that we should talk about legal issues because, what one of the members said previously, sometimes we need to record phoen numbers, drivin directions, and shopping lists, which is just EXACTLY what i am looking for. Thank You Guys.
    The comment about mVoice is somewhat misleading as there isn't any way to record phone calls the "correct way" on the Treo. mVoice, Audacity and others use the speakerphone to do this. It actually works fairly well if privacy is not an issue, but I would call it a "work around" as Palm does not provide the audio path to do it the correct way.

There is a second method as well. Using a Seidio 2 in 1 headset will work, but the far audio is not as loud as the near end so is limiting as well. Actually, the speakerphone works better.

Fred Clark of Audacity Audio. We offer two great recorders, if you have an interest. www.AudacityAudio.com
    I use voice memo to record while on phone calls, its not perfect,but it does the job......i have quick access to it via hi-launcher.......if you do a search you'll find it around here somewhere........hope this helps!!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Agreed, mVoice is not a perfect solution. You don't have to use the speakerphone to get a recording of the other side of the conversation, but if you don't, the recording is barely intelligible. With the speaker phone on, the recording quality is acceptable. Alternatively, if you don't want to use the speakerphone and you don't need to record the other person's voice, just get the information, you can just repeat what they say back into the phone.

Other points about mVoice:

* You can record to either main memory or the SD card.
    * Recording quality can be set depending on what's more important to you - smaller files or higher quality recording.
    * There are several ways to move the recordings to a PC and play them on the PC.
    * You can set up one touch recording by pressing and holding one of the 4 hard keys on the 650. This works even while you're on the phone, and even if you use (as I do) the green phone button for press-and-hold activation.
    * One thing I don't like about the one touch recording is that you have to hold the button for as long as you want the recording to continue - let up on the button and it stops recording. You can then immediately do a "one touch append" from the on-screen controls that records for as long as you want.
    * Another option is to start mVoice recording BEFORE you start the phone call. This works fine too and recording continues while you're on the phone (or using any other application, for that matter.) This is probably a good option for a journalist.
    * While you're recording, there is a timer that tells you how much available recording time you have left. This is computed based how much memory you have left and what quality of recording you're using.
    How can I find out if Florida is a one or two party consent state?
  18. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RhoXS
    How can I find out if Florida is a one or two party consent state?
    Florida is an all party consent state, most are.

http://www.poynter.org/content/conte...d=86432&sid=32
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Where can I buy voice memo guys?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alfred44
    Where can I buy voice memo guys?
    You can get it here.
    Make April 15th just another day. Fairtax
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast