1.    #1  
    There have been rumours of a Windows Mobile Treo for a while. Engadget now has one in hand and will be reviewing it shortly (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000867059961/). Being a fairly recent convert to the Treo 650 and although frustrated with issues such as call quality, the good definitely outweighs the bad and it works beautifully with my Mac.

The acquisition of Palm Source and the somewhat bleak future of the Palm OS has got me thinking about my next smartphone purchase. Whilst I think the Palm OS will be around as we know it for quite some time, will the Treo become the next Newton? I can't imagine still using my current Treo in two years time or even one for that matter but I also can't imagine buying a Windows machine just to be able to use a smartphone but what other option will there be? Linux based Palm OS? Microsoft releasing their own OSX Windows Mobile syncing software, unlikely I know but iTunes for Windows, Apple and Intel?

Has anyone else thought about this or is it just me? I'd be interested to hear what people think.
    you can use missing sync to sync a windows mobile device with a mac
  3.    #3  
    I've tried Missing Sync and Pocket Mac which are fine for syncing contacts but what about syncing more than that? Documents to Go springs to mind and also adding software with the CAB installer was a complete nightmare.

There will always be third party solutions for these things but nothing beats native support.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ heterodoxos has a good point. It will be interesting to see if Palm will continue to support the Mac community.

There are alternatives, such as a SE's P910 and any number of Nokia phones. Albeit, Symbian pales in comparison to PalmOS, but there are other "fish in the sea".

I guess time will tell...
    Quote Originally Posted by heterodoxos
    I've tried Missing Sync and Pocket Mac which are fine for syncing contacts but what about syncing more than that? Documents to Go springs to mind and also adding software with the CAB installer was a complete nightmare.

There will always be third party solutions for these things but nothing beats native support.
    You raise a very legitimate issue, Hetero. It's one I've been thinking about for the past two weeks or so. Here a few thoughts I have on the subject.

First, it is amusing to me that Mac users, who are generally individuals who expect excellence out of their machines, have settled for patches, fixes and work-arounds when it comes to mobile devices. Let's face it, neither Palm devices nor Windows devices work well with Macs. Missing Sync and Pocket Mac are both riddled with problems. I know - I have used both of them. They are half-hearted efforts at best. So, there is no good solution for using Windows mobile devices with Macs. As for Palm devices, you still can't sync both addresses. And the addresses are misplaced when synchronization takes place. By contrast, my Treo works perfectly with my Windows machine. All addresses, contacts, etc sychronize without a hitch.

Second, I think Apple has failed to close a critical loop. The notion that "it just works" is a good one - in principle. But let's face facts: I am a doctoral student and I use SPSS (a statistical package) for my research. The university and SPSS make it quite clear that the Mac version of the application is NOT comparable to the Windows version. The Mac version has limited functionality, relatively speaking. There are other examples. I used quicken for the Mac and encountered all kinds of troubles. I couldn't believe I was using the same application when I switched to the Windows version. Clearly superior. So, Apple needs to talk with software makers about getting their programs up to speed.

Finally, I have been really thinking hard about buying a new machine recently. I have a PowerBook G4 and I love it. I have owned at 2.0 GHz PowerMac, but sold it. As I look at my options, I considered the PowerMac G5 2.7 machine. I like Mac OS X. I enjoy Spotlight. For synchronization of multiple machines with iCal, Mail, Address Book etc, .Mac cannot be beaten. But ultimately, I hesitate. Why? For one, I depend on a mobile device. I can't take my laptop everywhere. But sychronization with mobile devices is poor. No, I don't want the patch jobs that come with Palms and Windows devices. And the Series 60 devices typically lack ability to use a stylus or thumb boards. Plus, there isn't the vast array of programs (many of which I need) available for Series 60 devices. Point is, if Apple is so concerned about overall synchronization, why not either create a working (truly working) conduit for Palm devices? Or even work with MS (they do for Office) in creating a working conduit for Windows Mobile devices? Palm is on it's way out anyway.

So, I'll keep my PowerBook, but it can't be my primary machine - not as long as critical applications like Quicken are substandard; not as long as I cannot synchronize my mobile devices. So, here is a user willing to spend $5,000 on a new Mac, but will opt for a $3,000 Windows machine instead. I've heard all the hype about viruses and spyware. But the reality is, my critical applications and my synchronization "just works."

Whew! Had to get that off my chest.
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    ^ heterodoxos has a good point. It will be interesting to see if Palm will continue to support the Mac community.

There are alternatives, such as a SE's P910 and any number of Nokia phones. Albeit, Symbian pales in comparison to PalmOS, but there are other "fish in the sea".

I guess time will tell...
    And herein lies the trouble. Mac users must sit around waiting and hoping and waiting and hoping to see if they will continue to be supported. For the money we spend on these machines, there has to be more security than this.
    David
    Wait....isn't palm ditching hotsync and moving to the more universal conduit that's based off of Missing sync/iSync? Someone correct me, I could've sworn I read this. Everyone knows Hotsync is older than their grandmothers, I think we're past due a better conduit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie_S
    Wait....isn't palm ditching hotsync and moving to the more universal conduit that's based off of Missing sync/iSync? Someone correct me, I could've sworn I read this. Everyone knows Hotsync is older than their grandmothers, I think we're past due a better conduit.
    They sync engine is one thing... the conduit is another. For example, Microsoft's conduit for Entourage is better than Apple's conduit for its applications. When you sync with Entourage (even if you use Hotsync or Missing sync), categories are transferred to the Palm device. That is not true of the Apple conduit. Neither allows the location of events to be synchronized. These are simply not issues on the Windows platform.
    David
    Yes, I realize that, but I read somewhere (I believe here, I'll have to search for it later) that because the way the iSync conduits were built, it makes for a much more universal compatability. Which I thought would be implemented in the new Treo (being WM and all). I guess it's the iSync engine that Palm wants to emulate? That or Missing Sync.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ Homie, I have heard rumors as well that Palm is going to be moving towards a more "open" standard for synchronizing information. The technology is call SyncML. Currently Motorola, SonyErricson, and Nokia use this technology in their mobile phones, allowing them to easily communicate with sync engines such as iSync; which is also built on SyncML standards.

It would make sense for Palm to use SyncML in it's new WM Treo, which would, most likely, allow it to sync with iSync seamlessly, but that only addresses half the problem. For instance, how are we going to get third-party applications on the WM Treo from a Mac? Will third-party software companies rewrite their Palm conduits so that information will sync to a WM Treo?

I don't know, like I said before, time will tell, but I would be VERY surprised if Palm dropped Palm support altogether, unless of course Apple releases it's own PDA/Smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    you can use missing sync to sync a windows mobile device with a mac
    neither Mark Space (Missing Sync) or PocketMac support WM5 "yet" they both told me today "it's in the works" but how long who knows. And when it comes just how good will it be? Just contacts, cal and install apps? I want the 6700 (much more feature rich than the 700w) but how am I going to sync it? I guess our best hope for now is a 700p.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I am a switcher form Windows to Mac. I use quicken and quickbooks. I find that the look and feel of those programs are different on the mac, but function well.

I had several Pocket PCs before I switched. Even though PPC syncs wonderfully with Outlook, and the interface is nice, for me it was unstable. Switching to Mac has only benefitted me. I wish there was better syncing between Entourage and Palm, but for me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.