Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Around 5pm yesterday (9/22/2005) I got a text message on my Treo 300 saying:

"Important notice from Sprint:Your Blazer browser will not work after 9/22/05.Go to http://web.palm.com/support/blazer/sprint.html to register for a new browser."
    http://web.palm.com/support/blazer/sprint.html redirects to http://web.palm.com/support/blazer/sprint.jhtml, which says:

"Important notice Blazer 2 discontinuation
    This courtesy notice is being provided to you in connection with the terms of your Blazer 2 browser end user license agreement. As of September 22, 2005, you will no longer be able to access Internet sites using the Blazer 2 browser. If you would like to download a web browser from Novarra, Inc., please complete the registration form below. You will be sent an email with information and a web link to download a new web browser.
    NOTE: Installation from your desktop computer is required. A new browser for Kyocera 6035 users will be available soon."
    This apparently affects PDA-phones based on Palm OS 3.x and 4.x, including:

Treo 300
    Samsung i500
    Kyocera 7135

This apparently does not affect the Treo 600 & 650.

The new browser identifies itself as nweb v2.02, a/k/a "Novarra Browser." I'm mildly annoyed that they gave us zero notice of this. But the nweb browser does seem to work. I haven't decided yet whether I like it better or worse than Blazer. One downside is that it sucks up about 750K of memory (compared to almost nothing for Blazer, since Blazer is in ROM).

What browsers are the rest of you Treo 300 holdouts using?

For more (generally grumpy) discussion, see:
    http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...threadid=55829

-Dave
    dave283 at burtonsys dot com, but please no spam!
    Hi,

I also didn't like the next to NO NOTICE on this issue.

However, Novarra seems to be doing the job.

Thanks for the links.
    Seems like this is not limited to the Treo 300.

I tried my Treo 180 and 270. Apparently, Blazer is no longer working for this version. I am with T-Mo.
    Apparently this applies to all older Treo's 180, 180g, 270 and 300:
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...tem,CASE=40527
    UGh...Yuk that stinks...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Seems like this is not limited to the Treo 300.

I tried my Treo 180 and 270. Apparently, Blazer is no longer working for this version. I am with T-Mo.
    They haven't turned it off for Sprint yet, Blazer is still working fine for me (just tried it, and yes I cleared the cache first! ).

I probably will delete Blazer from flash memory and replace it with nweb. According to JackSprat, after deleting Blazer there should be 1336k of free flash memory.
    Hi jaak3,

Thanks for the tip... Cleared my cache (which I suspect was all I needed) and my cookies... Seems Blazer still has some life left.

Thanks again,
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Can we use this replacement browser on the newer treos?
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Can we use this replacement browser on the newer treos?
    The nWeb from novarra currently list the following for Palm/Handspring:
    Handspring:
    Treo 300
    Palm:
    Treo 600
    Tungsten C/E/T/T2/T3/Zire 71/Zire 72
    based on webpage as of 10/03/2005: http://www.nwebwireless.com/get_nweb.htm
    Is there any reason that the website only has Sprint as a choice? What about GSM carriers?

Timmay
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    hmmm - I still use a sprint T300. I have not recieved the SMS and blazer still working OK.
    They could have just rebooted the proxy server and possibly someone complained loud enough that Palm decided to quitely just extend the proxy server operation. Who knows?
    I hooked up my old Treo 180 to grab this new web browser while I still could. I then installed it..on my 600.

It seems pretty nice, it seems to use a proxy and feels very fast (just like the old days!)

However, it doesn't seem to be compatible with the 600. Whenever I click *down* on the control pad, it crashes the Treo.
    -- Go Illini!
    I finally got the notice from my Treo 180 regarding the discontinuance of the Blazer 2.0. As soon as I connected to the internet and tried to browse, it displayed the Notice of Discontinuance for Blazer 2.0.

To answere bigredgpk's question, on this notice, it prompts you to enter information so Palm can email you the link to download the software. It also gives the carrier option "Others" for users that have other phone services other than Sprint.

On the download link, the link warns you that the browser is compatible with devices with Palm OS 3.5 or higher. Note that if Web Pro is already installed, do not install this client software.
    On n-Web, I can get to the Yahoo site (mobile.yahoo.com) and everything works except for the "Messenger" link. I get a 404-Page Not Found. This works fine with Blazer. Any ideas..?
    I tried the link on regular desktop Firefox and it hangs.
    The Yahoo messenger link results with blank pages for both Treo 600 and 650.
    Hi,

Noticed the "Blazer discontinued" page reappeared today. Haven't been able to get the earlier "fix" to work. Has Blazer finally bit the dust?
    Someone in Palm finally got the proxy server to display the message. Only Blazer 2.0 is out of commission as of this time.
    Youre right, this (mm.yahoo.com) fails on my desktop as well... Interesting that it was working on Blazer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast