1.    #1  
    I used to use a USB hot synch cable to sometimes charge my Treo 600 from a USB port on my laptop or office desktop. This does not seem to work with my new Treo 650.

This was also a great convenience as it meant I did not need the additional weight of a power cube when traveling. I am curious why I cannot do this with the 650.
    It does, however it is extrememly slow with the Palm sync cable that comes with your Treo.

There are plenty of Sync & Charge cables though.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the quick response. I am not sure it is charging because the light does not become solid red.
    That's correct. The light will not turn on, but it will charge. Note the battery level and then note it later. It will go up (very very slowly).
    Quote Originally Posted by RhoXS
    Thanks for the quick response. I am not sure it is charging because the light does not become solid red.
    Well, if you're using the supplied cable it won't show you as charging. Basically you're getting a slowwwwwwww trickle of current into your device. It's not designed to charge, it's more a side effect.

I would recommend a cable that was designed to charge the device, if you really want to use the USB port. It'll take forever to charge with the supplied cable.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I never use the included cables. I have a handy-dandy retractable USB sync/charge cable that I purchased from the TreoCentral store here. It has a button for Hotsync which is always helpful. I also travel a lot, so the fact that it retracts to such a small size is especially good, but I'm sure they sell other ones too if you want a longer cable for home/office use.

By far the most can't-live-without add-on I've purchased for my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM
    I never use the included cables. I have a handy-dandy retractable USB sync/charge cable that I purchased from the TreoCentral store here. It has a button for Hotsync which is always helpful. I also travel a lot, so the fact that it retracts to such a small size is especially good, but I'm sure they sell other ones too if you want a longer cable for home/office use.

By far the most can't-live-without add-on I've purchased for my Treo.
    How long have you had it? Im real interested in getting this as I travel constantly as well, but Ive heard some bad things about seidio's retractable devices- that the spring thingy breaks and it contantly wants to retract... i could see that getting annoying.
    I've owned a Seidio sync/charge retractable USB cable for almost 6 months and love it. Absolutely no issues at all and I travel almost weekly. Nothing beats how compact it is, and it always retracts right back with just a quick pull on both ends. I think the earlier models had some issues, but you should be fine buying one now.
    Wow I didnt know it was charging when I just had it plugged in. I have my charging cable plugged into my usb cable so I charge that way.
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhoXS
    I used to use a USB hot synch cable to sometimes charge my Treo 600 from a USB port on my laptop or office desktop. This does not seem to work with my new Treo 650.
    The cable the Palm sells at their kisok store like the one in Boston are supposed to charge if you have USB 2.0 (according to the salespeson at this kiosk). I use the Treo 600. For the 600, this cable is about 18" long. I think this is the cable you are referring to. Small chance of this, but make sure all of your ports on your PC are 2.0 or try plugging into different USB ports to make sure that doesn't make a difference.

Mayby another thing would be to try using combinations of other cables or other treos to see if either your cable or your treo might be defective. Maybe going to a Palm (or Sprint, or whoever your carrier is) store might be a place where you can try out different combinations.

-- Bob
  11. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by durex
    How long have you had it? Im real interested in getting this as I travel constantly as well, but Ive heard some bad things about seidio's retractable devices- that the spring thingy breaks and it contantly wants to retract... i could see that getting annoying.
    I've had it since I got my Treo in June. I used it pretty much every day this summer because I always took it with me when I went to work, so it was getting plugged and unplugged and retracted a couple times a day for three months. I don't need to bring it to my current job so now it stays plugged into my laptop most days. I've never had a problem with it. The wire is very thin, which makes it seem fragile, but so far it's working great.
    awesome.. thanks for the replies everyone. Im actually going to pick up their travel kit... better to carry one wire, than 3!