Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I've been thinking - there ought to be an easy way to at least SEND free SMS from the treo via the data connection. Browsing to a website like wwtxt.com and filling in the information (including copying over the phone number) is just to cumbersome. Isn't there a free program out there somewhere?

I know there is a plugin for firefox that uses Google's SMS system to send text messages - seems like it could be adapted fairly easily.

The other option is using AIM's SMS messaging service and something like verachat. But you would have to create a new AIM account for each person you want to text message and it would involve some participation on their part (giving you a reg code when you connect a screen name to their number, etc.)

So what do we got? There must be an easy way to get around expensive SMS plans with all the capabilities of the treo.
    Something like, http://www.pdaapps.com/Treo600SMS/index.html has to exist for the 650.
    AIM's network already supports SMS. send a IM to "+1<10digit phone #>" you can even save them to your buddy list with a name for it. You dont' need other end to sign up for aim.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by XiiiXiii
    AIM's network already supports SMS. send a IM to "+1<10digit phone #>" you can even save them to your buddy list with a name for it. You dont' need other end to sign up for aim.
    radical
    u can also go with verichat and use data connection..
    with that u wont get charged for text messages.
    who does the receipient show up as to the other user? in other words, if they were to hit reply to an "sms" you send with aim or verichat, would it simply come back to you as an instant msg?
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    That AIM +1 method took over an hour to be delivered to my phone when I tried it from my PC! It finally showed up as being from some 6-digit number. A reply got back to the sender immediately.
    u can also go with verichat and use data connection..
    with that u wont get charged for text messages.
    how do i send an SMS with Verichat?
  9.    #9  
    add an aim buddy and for the screen name use +10001234567 where 000 is the area code, and 1234567 is the phone number. The buddy will show up as online. Send a message to it and they will get it.
    right. but who does it come up as to the end user (how will they know its you) and where does the msg go if they reply to it?
    Why not just send an email from your email program to there phone. You just have to know the messaging format of their service provider. TMobile is xx..xx@tmomail.net. Verizon is xx..xxx@vtext.com
    I have simple java program that I wrote for my girlfriend's 650 that sends a text message over the internet to my Sprint phone. It does it in such a way that when I receive the text it shows up from her as if she used the SMS application on her phone.

I'm with Sprint and have unlimited SMS but she has Verizon and is capped at 100 msgs. Are people interested in this? I could post it. Only sends to Sprint using Sprint's site, but I'm going to build Verizon support into it soon.
    Wapswap has free sms
    http://wapswap.com/
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I would be interested G-funk
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    Wapswap has free sms
    http://wapswap.com/
    How do the reciever know it's from you and how do they respond? Does the receiver get charged?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    How do the reciever know it's from you and how do they respond? Does the receiver get charged?
    read here
    http://wapswap.com/sms/

i would guess they get charged, if they regularly get charged for incoming sms. lots of people have free incoming but not outgoing.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    The site does not have any faq info.

Since it limits the number to 10 digits I guess it does not work with international numbers.
    Try www.teleflip.com

One can send an SMS from any computer to a mobile phone:
    (phonenumber)@teleflip.com

the received msg is from your email address and included in the msg is "--- www.teleflip.com"

So I tried sending myself a message using versamail and it worked. No subject line, ofcourse.

It's free, no sign-up, no passwords.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I have 2 questions...

1) does anybody know if Incoming SMS messages are free on sprint's network if you do not have any sms plan?

2) would anybody happen to know how to send sms over email to another sprint phone
    (ie a similar format for sprint as user "gapost" pasted above.... <Why not just send an email from your email program to there phone. You just have to know the messaging format of their service provider. TMobile is xx..xx@tmomail.net. Verizon is xx..xxx@vtext.com>

thanks
    @messaging.sprintpcs.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast