Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can the Treo 600 use a 2GB SD card?

My 1GB card is having problems and I need to purchase a new one and am thinking about moving up to a 2GB card.

Thanks,
    Russell
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Yes.
    Yes - but it seems to work best with the low speed ones. Lots of folks have problems with the high speed cards. The blue Sandisk 2GB SD card has worked well for me right out of the box - didn't even need to format it. It can be picked up for just under $150 at amazon with free shipping. You can also get it for a bit less at other sellers, but personally I'd rather pay the extra 10 or 15 bucks to have the peace of mind from buying at Amazon which accepts returns than some fly by night website or ebay.
    Ditto. I've had mine for a couple of months - also a Sandisk. Upgraded from a 1gb. It works the same.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    Yes - but it seems to work best with the low speed ones. Lots of folks have problems with the high speed cards. The blue Sandisk 2GB SD card has worked well for me right out of the box - didn't even need to format it. It can be picked up for just under $150 at amazon with free shipping. You can also get it for a bit less at other sellers, but personally I'd rather pay the extra 10 or 15 bucks to have the peace of mind from buying at Amazon which accepts returns than some fly by night website or ebay.

One company has released a 4 gig card, and competitors are announcing plans to match that.

I'm a little confused about compatibility though. Treo is compatible with sdcard.org specs. Some of the new cards especially the imports advertise speeds of 150x. One advertiser said "not compatible with Treo." I see your comment about high speed problems.

I can't imagine why these cards would be incompatible with Treo and compatible with other things. Also, I'm wondering what "incompatible" means---won't support the extra speed, or won't see the space. WHat is the highest speed that is safe?

Any comments please?
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Incompatible means that the FAT file system that the Treo supports is limited to 2GB of addressable storage. It might still be possible to partition a 4 gb card, and soft-reset the Treo to alternately access one partition.
    Shneor
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Incompatible means that the FAT file system that the Treo supports is limited to 2GB of addressable storage. It might still be possible to partition a 4 gb card, and soft-reset the Treo to alternately access one partition.
    Damn. Is this definitely something you've tried or seen specs on? I tried sending an email to Palm Tech Support and they merely said: We are compliant with SDCARD.ORG standard spects. We know nothing more.
    I definitely know that the Treo 600 supports only the FAT file system on SD cards. I definitely know that the FAT file system is limited to 2 gb.
    Shneor
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    I definitely know that the Treo 600 supports only the FAT file system on SD cards. I definitely know that the FAT file system is limited to 2 gb.
    Desktops long ago overcame this, I guess the Palm OS has not...
    I have a KingMax 2GB 150x, and it works very well in my Treo 600, although it doesn't work (not recognized) in my Treo 650.
    That's particularly odd. Why would it work in the older version and not the new...?
    I would be very happy to know why !!!

Anyway, I'm not alone: another guy on the forum confirmed the exact same behavior with the same SD card. It works with the Treo 600. It doesn't work with the 650 !
    I have a Sandisk Ultra II 2 GB card in my 650. Everythings seems to run okay except that backups from Treo to SD seem to take much longer to accomplish than it did with the 1GB Lexar card in the Treo. It makes me think that some of the apps may be running slower as well. Movies still seem to play okay. I though it was my imagination, but I timed a couple of backups and the backup to SD was much slower with the Sandisk Ultra II. Anyone hear of such a thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by stipus
    Anyway, I'm not alone: another guy on the forum confirmed the exact same behavior with the same SD card. It works with the Treo 600. It e doesn't work with the 650 !
    Did you format with this command?

FORMAT H: /V:MYCARD /FS:FAT /X

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...4&page=2&pp=20
    There is no real benefit to getting a high speed card for the 650 - the 650 internal card reader is slow. The regular old blue Sandisk 2GB is the only card which has not caused problems for people. (Of course, knowing this place, someone will now reply that the blue sandisk caused their treo to catch fire, burn down their house and kill their family.)

The max capcaity the treo can handle is 2GB - unless you do some pretty major hacking to the FAT file system. In any event, isn't the 4GB card more expensive than the treo was in the first place? I remember seeing it for $700 or so.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...bosnation0e-20
    The new 4gb card from pretec I understand is around $700-$800. BUt they are the first ones out. Once competition kicks in, I'd be expecting that to drop in half before long.
    Under $300 150x 4 gig card!l

I presume this won't work in Treo, though for reasons stated. They also have a 2 gig card for 134. From meritline.com (no affiliation)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I have a Sandisk Ultra II 2 GB card in my 650. Everythings seems to run okay except that backups from Treo to SD seem to take much longer to accomplish than it did with the 1GB Lexar card in the Treo. It makes me think that some of the apps may be running slower as well. Movies still seem to play okay. I though it was my imagination, but I timed a couple of backups and the backup to SD was much slower with the Sandisk Ultra II. Anyone hear of such a thing?
    Yes, I am having the EXACT same problem. Except I am comparing the Sandisk 2GB Ultra II card to the Sandisk 512MB Ultra II card. The 2GB is much slower. Weird. I feel kinda ripped off. It's so much slower that I don't really use it.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbenjami
    There is no real benefit to getting a high speed card for the 650 - the 650 internal card reader is slow. The regular old blue Sandisk 2GB is the only card which has not caused problems for people. (Of course, knowing this place, someone will now reply that the blue sandisk caused their treo to catch fire, burn down their house and kill their family.)

The max capcaity the treo can handle is 2GB - unless you do some pretty major hacking to the FAT file system. In any event, isn't the 4GB card more expensive than the treo was in the first place? I remember seeing it for $700 or so.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...bosnation0e-20
    Is it possible to treat an sd card like a hard drive and use a program like partition magic on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Is it possible to treat an sd card like a hard drive and use a program like partition magic on it?
    According to other replies, yes---but people have said that you have to reboot the Palm etc to get it to recognize the 2d partition--ie., one at a time. (I wasn't clear on what you'd do to get it to switch on the reboot either)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast