1.    #1  
    At times it was taking me 20 minutes to get online (the data connection wouldn't work), and many times my phone would take a soft reset to wake it up. These things were happening multiple times per day. So I decided to bite the bullet and hard reset. Here is what I did:

• Hotsync to new user name.
    • Restored Docs2Go, along with documents via hotsync. I drug the documents into the D2G window.
    • Set up my VersaMail account from scratch on the device and forwarded a few emails to my Treo that I wanted to keep on it.
    • Copied contacts, schedule, todo, and photos databases from old user folder into new and did a hotsync to restore them to my device.
    • Set up all my preferences and menus on the device manually (not via hotsync). This includes bookmarks in Blazer.
    • So far, the only app I have installed on the phone is TV Browser, and it has not caused any problems.
    • I use bluetooth to hotsync sometimes; sometimes I use the cable. I have been turning bluetooth on and off, just to test things out.
    • Left my SD card in there, with some games, FileZ, and some other apps. No documents from D2G are on the SD card.

I've been using my Treo for a week now, with no problems getting it to turn on. I have had a few occasions when I would have to turn the radio off and back on to connect to data, but only once every couple of days. I never had a bad reset problem, and it has only reset once or twice in a week. I can live with this level of problems. It is a complicated device, and I don't expect perfection (my laptop sure isn't perfect).

I can live with my Treo as it is now, but I'm going to start installing some utilities one by one, slowly, until I figure out what causes the problems. I will keep everyone posted.

This was the last straw before returning my Treo for a new one, but so far it looks like the hardware is not faulty, nor is the software that came with the device.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    If you have a good backup utility, make "restore points" as you go along, that way you can quickly go back to a previous state. That method has helped me track down troubling apps numerous times. Good Luck!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Nice ST1100. Had a 1991 for about 10 years. Great bike!
    I've been meaning to add "Warren's Computing Rule #3" to the collective archives of this forum, and now seems like as good a time as any.

Modified for Palm computing hardware, it is:

"Never install more than one third party palm applciation every two days, if not longer. Resist the temptation to save time and install lots of apps at once."

And the obvious reason is so that if your device starts becoming unstable, you can be pretty sure what program did it. And then when you uninstall it and stability returns, you know for sure.

This is why I have a stable 650, and why I know that TealScript is stable but slow, Jot is unstable and fast, and Grafitti Anywhere is fast and stable. But it took a week to know for sure...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DTom
    Nice ST1100. Had a 1991 for about 10 years. Great bike!
    Actually it is a Pacific Coast. The ST1100's little brother.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

6.    #6  
    Update:

The Treo continues to work great, but only with a clean install with all PIM info and Docs2Go (no SD card installed). I have tried to use my SD card a few times with some apps, but I started having problems. I think next I will install the same apps on the handheld and see if I have any problems.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Fellas, I havn't posted alot on here and mostly just read what you guys have to say. I havn't had much problems on my treo at all maybe a rest every couple month, but I find that if you dont sync with versamail, versamail never causes a soft rest. I just have hotsync do contacts where the phone overwrites the desktop, media, etc... but leave the versamail out. Only time I get a reset is when I sync with veramail. Hope this helps.
  8.    #8  
    VersaMail doesn't seem to be my problem. It is working fine.

9.    #9  
    Preliminary results indicate that my problems may have to do with my SD card. My Treo was running great, and then I formatted a fresh SD card and installed a couple of apps to it that I use frequently. Within a day, the problems came back. Could be coincidence, but. . .

Then I installed the same apps to the handheld. Everything is running great, no problems connecting or waking up the Treo.

I'm just wondering if some other people could test this out, especially those whose Treo doesn't want to wake up sometimes, or if your internet connection freezes.

Any takers? You will need to remove your SD card, do a hard reset, and run everything from the Treo. I'm using that little "non-functional" piece of plastic that came with my phone in place of my SD card.

Since so many people use SD cards, I'm wondering if this could be why so many people are having problems.