View Poll Results: What do you pretend from Palm?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing, I'm OK with my Treo 600/650

63 38.18%
  • A full refund - I'll never be a Palm customer again

10 6.06%
  • I want my 600/650 to replaced and fixed

27 16.36%
  • I want a 100$ upgrade for the next model

65 39.39%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I want the same amount the lawyers are getting.
    Now THAT would be almost as impossible as getting Palm to put enough RAM in the Treo so that it would actually function properly. Get your head out of the clouds and be realistic!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wal
    Someone if these forums made the comment ďIf your not happy with the product donít buy itĒ; that would be a fair comment if Palm was advertising a poorly built bug ridden phone, but thatís not the case.
    Hey - the Treo retails for only $100-200 more than a basic modern laptop... shame on you and your company for expecting so much out of them. I'm sure that you had 75% of your laptops and other technology fail within the first year too, just an "industry standard." And the hours spent talking with fine representatives in the Philippines discovering that "soft resets" and "hard resets" are the panacea for anything wrong with the Treo are extremely educational.

Sir, multiply the problems I've had with one (1 + 7 refurbs) Treo 600 times your 30 defective phones, and I can imagine how extremely pleased you and your fellow workers are to know the ins and outs of Palm "support" so well. I haven't a clue why anyone would want Palm to improve their hardware or technical "support" on such a well-designed dev...

(sorry... soft reset, out of memory...).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    But what is the return rate like as of late? Has it gotten any better (I ask because it 'sounds' like there have been less problems versus when the 650 first came out.)
    Gawd, I would HOPE so... They released it 6 months before they had stable firmware, and their solution for the "whiners" was to toss them a 128MB SD card... IMHO the latest firmware is about as good as can be expected, given the lackluster hardware they are stuck with.

I was one of the suckers that bought several 650's on the first day, and after learning (firsthand) how badly they had botched the upgrade they all went back. And yeah - I complained - it was absolutely inexcusable to release a product in such terrible condition, I wasn't paying $600 plus tax to beta test product for Palm! Yet Palm got vitriolic on me and other customers that dared mention that even the memory was 40% less capacity than the previous model (something they turned 180 degrees on a few days later!).

I have owned probably 80% of everything that Palm has released (except their low-end throwaways). As little as I want Palm to suffer from a lawsuit (where only the attorneys will achieve any $$), it is probably the only way Palm will learn to clean up their act. They struggled so hard to ignore or shut up their customers when we have tried and tried to point out simple hardware or customer service problems that need attention. At least with the Smartphones we have our carriers as additional leverage. But some stuff you are stuck dealing directly with Palm, and it's more and more of a nightmare.

I've been a die-hard Palm user since early 1997, and am hopeful that maybe the attorneys can accomplish improvements for what has fallen on deaf ears at Palm for years.
    Well, this lawsuit will accomplish nothing, since Palm is a dead company anyway (and I LOVE the Treo).

There has been zero innovation at Palm for many years (the Treo has Handspring's idea), so the lawsuit does not affect that.

(There have been some great 3rd party apps, which I salute, such as Snappermail, Agendus, and Verichat).

As far as customer support, Palm basically made all the 600, and esp. the 650 users beta test their product. The 650, despite hardware rev b, still resets daily.

In the end, this is just a money grab by lawyers who are picking over the carcass of Palm.

Palm will go down as a famous HBS case study of how to have the market in the palm of your hand, then **** it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad at 12/26/2005 11:18 AM
    Now THAT would be almost as impossible as getting Palm to put enough RAM in the Treo so that it would actually function properly. Get your head out of the clouds and be realistic!
    Why impossible? Does the lawyer's work is harder than that of any other working working class hence deserves more of the rewards? No wonder the people that can't afford good legal help always end up with the short end of the legal decisions.

Enough talk about lawyers, I do believe they do have their specialties and deserve payout but I don't particularly like the high share of compensation they get in behalf of the people they so represent, hence my comment (advance apologies to lawyers in the group).

Back to the topic, as far as putting additional RAM on the Treo, Palm could have done it, there is nothing technically impossible about that. The decisions to have certain product features are driven by the management in Palm and their view of the long and short term bottom line.

My opinion only, some manager did not review the information in front of them and decided to go with a conservative recommendation which backfired.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Well I gotta say,

I do not consider myself a power user, I added only (2) 3rd party apps and thats snapper mail and MobiTV, and the only reason I even added snapper mail was because 75% of the time versa would try and poll for mail I would get error messages, thankfully snapper worked like a charm and relieved the mail issues.

Mobi TV was just for kicks, a waste IMO.

Unfortunately, even with the latest and greatest FW from cingular, my unit needed to be soft reset any where from 1-4 times daily, would reset on its own at minimum 2 times a week and would freeze between menu's daily and there is my number ONE major issue with the treo, and thats all the damn missed calls that get instantly directed to voice mail, I mean seriously, how the heck can any one use this device in a professional manner, its unreliability is what drove me to be forced to make a change.

It got so bad where at one point I went into the store and they all said they dont even like selling the units and that I should XBM it and sell it. Well I did not XBM the unit, I did how ever put it in a box and will ebay it and bought a BB 8700 which has not had a single hiccup in 2 weeks, voice calls are crystal clear, speaker phone is amazing, email is flawless and the planner is good enough and lets not forget about the flawless BT that works with my 05 BMW X5 with assist, that my treo would just go into a never ending reset loop if I tried to connect it too.

Sure I cant watch movies or play MP3s but whats the difference if half the time my Treo is frozen or resetting. I really love the form factor of the treo and the solid build quality and screen, but aside from those items, the device just is not reliable enough for my daily use.

So here is a prime example of some one who uses it normally for calls, email and pda with little to no 3rd party SW and the unit has major issues. As far as returning the unit, well none of the major issues happened till around 3 months after owning it, so that was that.

If it were not for the fact that versa mail does not work half the time I wouldnt of even had to buy a mail app to replace the buggy one that comes with the phone.

Ahh well, in the end the treo is just bling, it looks nice and has cool factor, but this unit just cant be taken seriously in a professional environemt, maybe some folks out there dont mind dealing with its issues, but I for one do not want to have to perform a soft reset on the highway when my phone freezes up during an important call.

I hope this suit follows through to teach companies like this to get their act together. I paid full price for my unit which came out to 620.00 dollars, I expect it to work.

In the end the best thing the treo has going for it is this forum.

Cheers!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    My opinion only, some manager did not review the information in front of them and decided to go with a conservative recommendation which backfired.
    If that were really the case you would think they could have corrected the mistake as soon as they saw the reaction of their customers and increased the memory on hardware B. and then offered to replace the hardware A units. It would have cost them some money but what they would have gained in goodwill and future sales would have offset the costs. I think they just decided that the price point and amount of memory "worked".
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot at 12/27/2005 08:42 AM
    If that were really the case you would think they could have corrected the mistake as soon as they saw the reaction of their customers and increased the memory on hardware B. and then offered to replace the hardware A units. It would have cost them some money but what they would have gained in goodwill and future sales would have offset the costs. I think they just decided that the price point and amount of memory "worked".
    I believe they knew, if you go back to the interviews after the 650 was finally released to the endusers, Palm continue to maintain that users reporting problems in sites like TreoCentral are not the regular Treo users but are power user types. Palm implied that they have targeted the release of the product for general use.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 12/27/2005 at 01:41 PM.
    As I said before, my Treo has been rock solid, so dismiss the case and get on with the 700p...

However, I would accept unlimited coffee for life...

http://www.conferencingnews.com/imag...kramer_150.jpg
    Are Kyocera and Palm related? hahaha Ive gotten a T650 as a replacement for my (6th) Kyocera 7135. Seems the same design engineers worked on the 2 products!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234