1.    #1  
    Folks: forgive the pathetic volley, below. I'm lost in this whole email / sync world.

1) to start things off, tre0 650 + panther + g5. Just upgraded to Palm desk. v D.

2) Ashamed to admit: have godaddy for virtual host + email. It seems to be POP protocol. Just using web email, which sucks.

3) My goal: using Mail (apple's) or Entourage, having full sync of everything (mac <--> treo) , plus ability to delete on Treo, then have it delete upstream on mail server. (right now: versamail shows everything, deletes nothing, requires CCing)

Confused about routing: do I start with Mail app, push to treo? (Or vice verse)

Also have a desktop and laptop. Want to have mails, contacts, sync that way, too. (Three way)

Happy to walk away from a) Palm Desktop b) Apple Apps, if need be c) GoDaddy for email, if I need IMAP. Can you walk away from email and keep domain name?

Again, i apologize for lame series of questions.

Save me and I will name son / daughter after you.

merci
    If you really want to sync multiple devices, IMAP is the way to go, no matter what OS you have.

There are free and paid IMAP servers out there, fastmail, everyone.net, fusemail, even aim.com.

Entourage and Apple Mail will handle IMAP fine, but you'll need to get a better email client for your Treo. Chatter would be the best solution for this.

Once you've configured all your email clients with your IMAP server, when you delete a message, or move it into another box, it is reflected on all devices.

You can always forward you POP mail to your IMAP account.
    Last edited by Insertion; 09/21/2005 at 04:31 PM. Reason: hate it when I find typos an hour later....
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I'll just add that everyone.net (and probably the others, aside from aim.com) should allow you to use your own domain name. You'll need proof that you own it of course.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by mac daddy
    Also have a desktop and laptop. Want to have mails, contacts, sync that way, too. (Three way)

Happy to walk away from a) Palm Desktop b) Apple Apps, if need be c) GoDaddy for email, if I need IMAP.
    I fully endorse everything Insertion said (especially the bit about Chatter).

The only thing I'll add is that if you're a .Mac subscriber, you can use iSync to keep your Treo, desktop and laptop's contacts in sync.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  5.    #5  
    thanks for info. Chatter sounds good. Looks like they have partnership with everone.net for $40 year. Do you love Everyone.net?

When I signed up with godaddy, I purchased, I think, the domain name. Is the registration with them, or register.com or _______? I don't want to get screwed by my soon-to-be-ex isp.
    I have a ChatterEmail.com account (Chatter's Everyone.net domain). I don't use it all that much, but I've had no trouble at all.

You own the domain name, so you shouldn't have any trouble moving the e-mail for that domain to another provider.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...