Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, I am aware of the limitations of the conduit used by the native Mac applications. For example, multiple addresses do not sync and the one that does goes into the wrong place. What about using the Treo 650 with Entourage 2004? Does that have the same limitation? I'm wondering because I think Microsoft developed its own conduit. Please advise.

Second, there was a known problem when using VoiceSignal on the Treo 650 that synchronization would fail as Hotsync attempts to backup the VoiceSignal program. Is that still a problem, or has it been fixed?

Thanks for your help.
    David
    I use Entourae with my 650. It works fine. It syncs only one address though.
    iCal finally tempted me away from Palm Desktop. It's been over one month & I hate it. I'm debating trying out Entourage now. Can someone describe or point me towards the trials & tribulations of Entourage, Mac & the Palm. I thought Palm Desktop was great but going nowhere where Apple just kept adding all these new rich features. But iCal has a terrible to-do list, the sync is crappy, I had terrible luck with .mac; I've basically stopped using my treo & am missing birthdays & appointments. So now then... Entourage, will it make me a happier, more organized person?
    Ouch. I have no problems with my iCal, and I use the to do's and iSync functions all the time without any problem. Sure the categories don't really match up, but hey, it still reminds me. I have entourage 2004 though, and I'm actually curious to see how it works compared to iCal. Hope it works out better for you.
    I use Entourage 2004. I like it a lot. It has a nice feature called Project Center. It keeps track of all docs, contacts, etc. on a single project. It syncs ok with my Treo. t
    The fault is with the Treo as it doesn't have many categories. The calandar syncs except of multipal dates.
    The brillaint thing about Palm Desktop is that in week view each day has it's own To-do list. It's so simple yet brilliant.

iCal is just sluggish on my 1Gz G4 laptop. It takes several moments to load each calender & it's never zippy with dragging & dropping. Mail is falling victim to this now that the mailboxes have thousands of emails in them. My friends for the most part seem to find the same thing. Twelve years ago my PIM & email wasn't sluggish on my Mac IIcx.

The iCal to-dos work, but I just don't like the interface/design of them. I have many long term, project based to-dos that are practically unusable & confusing in the iCal window.

iCal has too many non-syncing fields: birthdays, second address, etc.

.mac deleted everything on my laptop, desktop & palm. I know we come across so many people with problems due to bad computer maintenence (& RTFM) but let me just note that I've used Macs & Palms since they were born, I've worked as a Mac system admin & currently a video graphic professional. I'm not the all-knowing master but if iSync deletes everything then I firmly believe there's a problem (yes it was backed up).

I guess Palm Desktop had it right when it would repeat an event everyday as opposed to a single event that spans days yet does not sync.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    After Tiger was released, I tried REALLY HARD to use the built-in “iApps”. I quickly became very frustrated with Apple’s Palm synching support in iSync.

So now I've gone back to using Entourage. I've had very little trouble with it, other than it does not sync multi-day all-day events correctly. The workaround I’ve found is creating a daily reoccurring all-day event.

The bummer is, I really liked the new Mail app in Tiger, but Entourage makes my Treo much more usable for reasons already stated.

Also, I've been keeping my eye on Chronos’ SOHO Organizer. It’s due out sometime in the next few months. If it keeps up with its predecessor, Personal Organizer, it should have good Palm syncing support, plus the ability to sync with the other “iApps”. Unfortunately Chronos hasn’t released too much information on its feature set yet, so I guess we'll have to wait and see
    I stick to palm desktop, easier that way.
    Perfect as the wing of a bird may be, it will never enable the bird to fly if unsupported by the air. Facts are the air of science. Without them a man of science can never rise. - Ivan Pavlov
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    <merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by mathchris

iCal is just sluggish on my 1Gz G4 laptop. It takes several moments to load each calender & it's never zippy with dragging & dropping.
    You realize this might be more of a RAM issue than a speed issue right? I know you mentioned your G4's speed, but OSX eats up RAM faster than a pizza at a weight-watcher's convention. No joke.
    Hopefully Entourage will support Spotlight in the future. I'm gonna make the switch (always a frustrating ordeal).

SoHO looks interesting. The Mozilla open source community is working on Sunbird project. It's in early beta with no palm sync yet but it may be a good promise for the future too.

I unfortunately will always have to open iCal at least once a day since my company has a few shared calendars. Also I found a few cool ones online too.

Homie_S: but you miss my point, even if that is the case, it's a PIM! It's nothing more than a database & it should not be sluggish anytime anywhere on any computer built since 1984. I see this as bad programming or planned obsolescence. I do video animations & editing on this laptop & now that's resonably intensive on the RAM & CPU.
    CMSNeuro: Yeah, I kinda wish I stuck with it too. But since I made the leap I might as well try Entourage. Palm Desktop has not changed since before I started using it 5 years ago (unless you count the carbon & the splash logo). These other packages are finding new tools & forms of communication & integration that PD lacks. Mac can sometimes be terrible for software. They make a pretty good freeware but it's just good enought to discourage a competitor that would have to charge money & the Mac app is just bad enough to tick you off when it's something important enough that you would pay for better. Thus I doubt Palm will try too hard to enhance their software on the Mac.
    I've used Palm Desktop in both PC and MAC. I say it's easier cause I don't have to go through the configurations except for the Bluetooth config. to sync. the Treo of course.
    Perfect as the wing of a bird may be, it will never enable the bird to fly if unsupported by the air. Facts are the air of science. Without them a man of science can never rise. - Ivan Pavlov
    This thread was merged with another & I'm a little confused now. Is it correct up top that Entourage will only sync one address from the Treo... just like Apple Addressbook?
    Update: I've been using Entourage 2004 for almost two months now & it's the best. None of these PIM apps are perfect but Entourage is way ahead for my personal use. It has a very robust conduit, the scripts are super helpful & the project center is great. I'm hoping there's more future for the Project center. There's an unpopular MS app that I completely love called Project (no longer on the Mac) & I hope to see the Entourage project center going furthur in that direction.

I think Life Balance, a to-do list on steroids, could be a great contender too one day if they fix some simple yet major problems (including the price). If you're shopping for a better PIM try the demo out, it does some pretty incredible stuff.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I've actually switched from Entourage 2004 to using the iApps and I've actually been quite happy. The iApps coupled with MissingSync 5 provides BY FAR the best Treo + Mac experience. I've been surprisingly impressed.

You may want to give the iApps another try if you're considering upgrading/purchasing MissingSync.

Just my 2˘
    I have just as many problems with the iApps themselves as I do iSync. But it sounds like MissingSync adds lots of great functions even if you're an Entourage user. But if you're an Entourage user, is it worth the hefty price tag when you're only using half of the features?

If the next Entourage includes Spotlight integration & .ics calendar subscriptions, I will never look back at iCal.

Question: does the contact photo sync between the Treo & Apple Address Book through Missing Sync 5 support the Treo 600? Does the Treo 650 have that same archaic method of adding photos to contacts in the Treo 600 where you first must make the phone number a favorite?
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mathchris
    Question: does the contact photo sync between the Treo & Apple Address Book through Missing Sync 5 support the Treo 600? Does the Treo 650 have that same archaic method of adding photos to contacts in the Treo 600 where you first must make the phone number a favorite?
    The 650 actually allows a photo to be added to each contact you have in your Address Book, and yes, MissingSync DOES sync address photos between the T650 and Address Book. The new MissingSync conduit will also sync multiple addresses in a contact card.

Like I said, I've been pretty happy with the iApps now that MissingSync 5 is here. My Treo is now a major playing in the "digital hub"
    I am trying to synch my Treo. When I open iSync and choose "Enable Palm OS Syncing" from the Devices menu it tells me that Hot Sync has not been installed properly. I have installed it a number of problems and also tried to sync on a different computer. It also tells me that HotSync is not installed properly on that computer also. iSync is 2.1, Mac OS X is 10.4.3, Palm Desktop is 4.2.1D. Anyone have this problem? Anyone know how to fix it?
    I have read a bunch of threads about Entourage 2004 not syncing perfectly. No Birthday, no contact photo and only one address

Has anyone found a fix/workaround for this? does Missing Sync help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast