1.    #1  
    I e-mailed Apple .Mac support the following question:
    The .Mac Mail implementation of IMAP does not currently support the IDLE feature of IMAP. Is this something that is being investigated? Support for IDLE allows an IMAP client to remain "online" with the IMAP server, waiting for new messages to arrive. The net result is that new messages are pushed to the mail client nearly instantly. Most other large fee-based mail providers (Fastmail, Everyone.net, AOL, etc...) do have this feature. Can I expect to ever see .Mac mail support this? Thanks!
    And received the following response:
    .Mac does not currently incorporate IDLE. If you wish, you can change Mail for Mac OS X to check for new mail every minute.

The .Mac Support Team recognizes that our best advice comes from our customers and that they are instrumental in the improvement of the .Mac suite of services. To ensure your feedback is considered for possible product enhancements, please use the .Mac Feedback page to do so. This will assure that your comments will be read by the individuals responsible for such decisions.

The Feedback Form can be found here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac.html
    I'm going to follow the feedback link and request this again. Anyone else who'd like to see .Mac support IDLE for push to Chatter (and desktop clients that support the feature) should as well.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
  2.    #2  
    The continuing saga of trying to get a straight answer out of Apple (continued from below).

My response:
    I wish to use a mobile PalmOS client called ChatterEmail that supports IDLE for pushed e-mail from IMAP servers. Setting a wireless device to poll .Mac every minute is impractical for obvious reasons.
    ...and Apple's answer:
    Apple does not comment on rumors about decisions, products, programs, or promotions that have not been officially announced by Apple.

By withholding comment, Apple hopes to protect customers from making decisions based on information that is incomplete, inaccurate, or subject to change before the formal announcement. Apple believes this is the best way to ensure that all customers are treated fairly.

We appreciate your interest and encourage you to stay up to date on Apple news. Visit Apple Hot News at <http://www.apple.com/hotnews/>.
    ...and me again...
    What in the world are you talking about? Rumors? I am simply asking if IMAP IDLE support is something Apple might consider for .Mac Mail. If you can't comment on future product plans, fine. Please consider this a request for a feature that numerous competitors already have.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ^ Looks like you received a "form email" repsonce.

I hate those! I went through a similar billing issue saga with Comcast recently, all I got in responce to my messages/replys were FORM EMAILS!

...These large companies and their form letters make me crazy...