Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    This is an old and oft-repeated story but I'm compelled to tell it anyhow. I've been away from TC for a few months because I got cozy with a Nokia 6620. I had a GSM unlocked 650 for a short time but couldn't give up some things the Nokia did. Let's see... native PDF support, MobiTV, MLB Gameday Audio, I could insure it... A lot has changed since then. I have a slingbox and a tablet PC with a Sprint EV-DO card so MobiTV is out (even though I can get it on the Treo now). DataViz is bringing native PDF support. The Cubs are out of it (as usual) so MLB Audio doesn't intreest me until next Spring (and I can stream from the web with the tablet anyhow, or even watch with the slingbox). The Nokia is old enough that I'll probably drop the insurance soon anyhow. On and on...

    That Nokia has made me appreciate the Treo in other important ways. Yeah, it "multitasks", but open two or more things and it slows to a maddening crawl. The lack of a full keyboard makes it far less likely that I will use the PDA side of the phone. You can whip out the Treo and add a PIM item in a flash--it's a hassle with T-9 numeric keypad. I thought I'd get better at data input by now, but there's no substitute for a thumb board. And even though Opera 8 for Symbian 60 is a big improvement over 6.20, it's still slow and hard to read on that small screen--no match for Blazer or the other Palm OS browsers.

    So now I see the firmware improvements (including BT DUN) have finally made it to cingular. I know WM5 is on the way--something new is always on the way. Bottom line is the Treo is kind of like a Honda Civic--it just flat works in the real world. I had look at all I had invested in Palm OS software, spent a few minutes toying with a friend's Sprint 650, and couldn't take it anymore. Wish I hadn't sold my Roadshow unlocked GSM/accessories. Cingular 650 on the way

    Todd/Indy
  2. #2  
    Welcome back. I did the same thing with a Pocket PC a few years ago...boy, was that a mistake!!!
  3. #3  
    Welcome back. I am glad that you finally saw the light.
  4.    #4  
    Hope I get a good one... anyone know what hardware version cingular units are shipping with and if any changes have been made (better reliability?). Also, are the currently shipping units Palm or PalmOne branded?

    I also hope RF performance and volume are better on this go-around. A $550 phone shouldn't need band-aids, but that's an old story, too. The Nokia is certainly a spoiler when it comes to RF performance.

    TIA,
    Todd/Indy
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    This is an old and oft-repeated story but I'm compelled to tell it anyhow. I've been away from TC for a few months because I got cozy with a Nokia 6620. I had a GSM unlocked 650 for a short time but couldn't give up some things the Nokia did. Let's see... native PDF support, MobiTV, MLB Gameday Audio, I could insure it... A lot has changed since then. I have a slingbox and a tablet PC with a Sprint EV-DO card so MobiTV is out (even though I can get it on the Treo now). DataViz is bringing native PDF support. The Cubs are out of it (as usual) so MLB Audio doesn't intreest me until next Spring (and I can stream from the web with the tablet anyhow, or even watch with the slingbox). The Nokia is old enough that I'll probably drop the insurance soon anyhow. On and on...

    That Nokia has made me appreciate the Treo in other important ways. Yeah, it "multitasks", but open two or more things and it slows to a maddening crawl. The lack of a full keyboard makes it far less likely that I will use the PDA side of the phone. You can whip out the Treo and add a PIM item in a flash--it's a hassle with T-9 numeric keypad. I thought I'd get better at data input by now, but there's no substitute for a thumb board. And even though Opera 8 for Symbian 60 is a big improvement over 6.20, it's still slow and hard to read on that small screen--no match for Blazer or the other Palm OS browsers.

    So now I see the firmware improvements (including BT DUN) have finally made it to cingular. I know WM5 is on the way--something new is always on the way. Bottom line is the Treo is kind of like a Honda Civic--it just flat works in the real world. I had look at all I had invested in Palm OS software, spent a few minutes toying with a friend's Sprint 650, and couldn't take it anymore. Wish I hadn't sold my Roadshow unlocked GSM/accessories. Cingular 650 on the way

    Todd/Indy
    ...
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  6. #6  
    Todd: I bought a Cingular Treo 650 almost two weeks ago now, and it was Palm branded. The on-board Firmware/Software versions were 01.05, and Treo650-1.04-CNG, respectively.

    Aside from having to shim up the SIM card with a slip of paper to avoid losing the GPRS signal intermittently, and a slight problem being heard by some people I've called (installing VolumeCare fixed this), I'm EXTREMELY happy with this Treo (I upgraded from a 270!).

    The only bug(?) that I do notice on a regular basis is that the Battery indicator flickers every once in a while - don't know what that's all about? This, and the fact that Misfortune Cookie didn't work on the 650, and reservations about installing BigClock (one of my past favourites), are all I've got to complain about to date.

    I've been with Cingular for the last two years, and just renewed my contract for another two years to get a deal on the Treo. No complaints with their service so far.

    Good luck!!!
    Cingular Treo 650 - Firmware 1.31 - Software 1.15-CNG - Hardware A
  7.    #7  
    Interesting... thanks. Palm and not PalmOne branding? I didn't expect that so quick. Did you get it retail or direct? Does the box say Palm or PalmOne? Mine's coming direct FWIW.

    I'd update the firmware before getting too far along if I were you

    EDIT: Oops, just saw your tag line in orange there--looks like you've already done it.

    Thanks again,
    Todd/Indy
  8. #8  
    Parkinni -
    Quote Originally Posted by parkinni
    Aside from having to shim up the SIM card with a slip of paper to avoid losing the GPRS signal intermittently,
    Can you explain this a little please? How did you determine that was the problem and arrive at that solution? Where exactly did you put the paper? I'm not having an intermittent signal loss problem but just curious about your post. Might help someone else, one day.

    Thanks.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverGuy
    Parkinni -

    Can you explain this a little please? How did you determine that was the problem and arrive at that solution? Where exactly did you put the paper? I'm not having an intermittent signal loss problem but just curious about your post. Might help someone else, one day.

    Thanks.
    Just do a search on it. It's been posted and brought up several times.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10. #10  
    DiverGuy: Just do a search on "GPRS problem", or something like it, and you'll find several posts elaborating on this nuisance and the solution...just like teh Munk says.
    Cingular Treo 650 - Firmware 1.31 - Software 1.15-CNG - Hardware A
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Hope I get a good one... anyone know what hardware version cingular units are shipping with and if any changes have been made (better reliability?). Also, are the currently shipping units Palm or PalmOne branded?

    I also hope RF performance and volume are better on this go-around. A $550 phone shouldn't need band-aids, but that's an old story, too. The Nokia is certainly a spoiler when it comes to RF performance.

    TIA,
    Todd/Indy
    I just got my Cingular T650 11 days ago. It came with the Blue Cingular logo face plate. The firmware was 1.31 and the Rom was 1.15-CNG Hardware: A

    I have had no problems with this unit so far. The battery indicator does flicker occasionally, but if that is the only problem it has I will be very happy.

    Good luck!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Interesting... thanks. Palm and not PalmOne branding? I didn't expect that so quick. Did you get it retail or direct? Does the box say Palm or PalmOne? Mine's coming direct FWIW.

    I'd update the firmware before getting too far along if I were you

    EDIT: Oops, just saw your tag line in orange there--looks like you've already done it.

    Thanks again,
    Todd/Indy
    My mistake, tbhausen - the box for my Treo says, "PalmOne". Got it at one of the 4 Cingular stores in town (ALL with different prices/deals on the 650, I might add!). Has the blue faceplate. Sorry for the confusion.
    Cingular Treo 650 - Firmware 1.31 - Software 1.15-CNG - Hardware A
  13.    #13  
    Got it today. PalmOne box. Had latest firmware and seems to be running fine so far. Interestingly, it's hardware A and seems to have the bright purplish screen and key backlighting (like my friend's Sprint 650) rather than the softer blue of the unlocked GSM I had. Despite current firmware, the keys don't dim with the screen. What's up with that? Ok, Ok, I'll do a search now.

    EDIT: There doesn't seem to be nearly the amount of carrier customization that you'd find in a typical mass-market (e.g. Nokia) handset.

    Todd/Indy
  14.    #14  
    Couple of more notes. No resets so far (I haven't synched or installed any apps yet). Sound quality and volume seem just fine. Scala 500 works well but takes a bit long to transfer incoming calls. And MMS implementation is odd...You use "Messaging" app for SMS and MMS both, but add photo/sound/video clip and the message becomes an MMS transparently to the user. I had to disable a nag screen the first time through. No regrets at this point other than the cost and the fact that the key lights don't dim.

    Todd/Indy
  15. #15  
    Tell you what I did. I went to cnet.com and read the reviews on smartphones. They said the Treo 650 was king of the hill, all things considered. I had never owned a cell phone or a PDA, so I took their word for it. I haven't been sorry. I know the grass is always greener on the other side. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    No regrets at this point other than the cost and the fact that the key lights don't dim.

    Todd/Indy
    When you decide to install some apps you might want to try KB LightsOff. It allows you to turn off the keyboard lights of your Treo 650 when they are not needed, either automatically or manually. In Auto Mode, the keyboard lights will come on whenever you use the keyboard or other keys (configurable), and go off after a configurable period of keyboard inactivity. You can also manually turn the lights on or off with a simple keystroke based on the situation.
  17.    #17  
    Thx for that. I've known of that one but it's just a bummer because the GSM unlocked treo did have dimming keys and I'm surprised that feature hasn't made it to Cingular yet.

    Todd/Indy

Posting Permissions