1.    #1  
    Our CFO is going to be flying to Europe from California on United Scarelines. He asked me if under the rules of 'engagement' (or whatever they're called) that the FAA has, can he lawfully check his email with his Treo 650 and using Good Link while in flight?

I told him I didn't think so, but I would like a definitive answer. Can someone post me a couple of quick links or pass along knowledge about it?

TIA
    that would fall under "you're not allowed to use cellphones in flight." I've heard of people who were even told they couldn't use their treo's with the radios and bluetooth turned off.

Does it actually cause a problem? No. But the FAA doesn't really care.
    yeah I flew recently and was watching a movie when the stewardess came to me and said I couldn't use the phone even though the radio was off, but that the FAA is looking into letting people be able to at least use the pda part, but definitely not with the radio on.....!!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    There is NO FAA RULE about using devices with transmitters -- it's actually an FCC rule and the only FAA rule is that they "defer to the FCC" and thus the "ban".

It comes down the individual carrier (and somethimes the cabin crew) on how they want to interpret the rule.

If you try to explain that the phone portion is of and you're in complinace but they still give you grief -- ask them if they are going to forbid laptop use as well as most modern models have bluetooth and wifi enabled. The average user is NOT going to turn that functionality on/off as 99% of users don't know how.
    Search for FAA - lots of threads on this subject.
    I have used the PDA part of my Treo to/from Brussels and within the USA many times no problem.

As to email, forget it. Out over the Atlantic and ocean as far as your eyes can see, your nearest tower is a little too far.

Within the USA, you are still inside the metal skin of an airplane. Your signal is very weak even if you hold it against the window.
    It has been hit and miss with me as far as being told to put it away. I'm usually listening to my ipod and playing Bejeweled....I think they are just jealous!
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    I was told once to turn my Game Boy off. The Laptop argument didn't work for me. I was shown the saftey rules manuel where they clearly forbig video games on board.
    He won't be able to get a signal over the atlantic to sync with goodlink anyway!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I've used my sprint phone on the plane several times without the airlines knowledge. It doesn't work for more than a minute once you get up in the air. The towers are unreachable up high in the air. I also have free roaming which allows the signal to switch to verizon towers automatically.
    I got hassled for using a 6035 "back in the day" without the phone on, and they didn't believe it was a PDA!
    It wont get a signal anyway. Ive never been told I couldn't use my Treo as long as the radio was off. I fly a LOT. It really doesn't matter because once you are up in the air it just can't connect to the towers. I guess they are too far away or you are moving too fast for them to handle switching.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    I have used the PDA part of my Treo to/from Brussels and within the USA many times no problem.

As to email, forget it. Out over the Atlantic and ocean as far as your eyes can see, your nearest tower is a little too far.

Within the USA, you are still inside the metal skin of an airplane. Your signal is very weak even if you hold it against the window.
    Rumor has it that your cell carrier --Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, etc.-- can detect that you're using a cell phone in flgiht because and may cancel your service.

Has anyone heard of this actuall happening?
    Quote Originally Posted by badler
    Rumor has it that your cell carrier --Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, etc.-- can detect that you're using a cell phone in flgiht because and may cancel your service.

Well, one certainly leaves some evidence that one is in flight. However, I have never heard of anyone being turned off for any reason except non-payment.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler

Yeah. Right. Why would the carrier care? Whomever told you this rumor is...well...not very smart.

George Carlin had a great line: "Think about how stupid the average American is - then remember that half of them are dumber than THAT!"
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    I travel a bit and I have found putting my hand over the antenna and using stylus helps keep the crew at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    I travel a bit and I have found putting my hand over the antenna and using stylus helps keep the crew at bay.

I do it to and I think it helps. I put e-books on my Treo and no longer buy or carry paper books. Coming back from Switzerland on AA a cabin attendant got on my case. Then she enlisted all of the others. It was be bored or risk arrest.
    I fly United a lot and they allow me to use my Treo once we are up in the air as long as the radio is turned off. With the radio turned off, you can't get email even if you could get reception from the location. Long story short... email access not allowed during flight on United.
    FAA rules say it is a federal offense to not obey a crew member when they say to turn a device off, even if it just looks like a radio. FCC rules say no radios in flight without operator (that's the airlines) approval, that includes any cellular email connections. Cell phone carriers don't like cell phones in flight because high altitude fast moving radio antenna's can signal too many cell towers jamming up too many channels and messing up their phone location software.

I've used my Treo in flight on American Airlines many times, but always with the radios (cell & bluetooth) turned off.