1.    #1  
    1. How the heck do you turn the treo off?? I really cant believe I cant figure this out....

2. How do you keep the treo from continuously searching for a network when you have no reception? It seems as though the few places where Ive had no reception, it keeps trying to find a network. I tried just shutting off the 'phone' but this didnt seem to work. Id really like to find this out as its KILLING my battery...

Im sure these are widely known, and you can believe that Ive looked everywhere before posting and looking like a fool.. but ive looked in my manual cover to cover and when youre searching for "shut off treo" or "shut off phone", about 20 pages of threads come up...

Thanks again!
    1. You can turn the wireless radio on/off and you can blank the display but there is no power switch. Your manual will tell you how to do this. Both functions use the same button. Holding it controls the radio, momentarily pressing it controls the display.

2. Turn off the wireless radio and that will stop it from searching for a network.

Hope this helps.
    Press and hold the red "call cancel/hang up" button to turn off the radio. Press it once quickly to blank the screen and save your battery. If you leave the screen on it should turn itself off in somethink like 2 minutes. You can go into Preferences > Power to set a different delay for blanking the screen should you so desire.
  4.    #4  
    Well, Im quite familiar with both of these options, but again, even when the phone is off (i guess its called the radio) it still says "Network search..." in the upper left corner. And theres really no way to shut the treo off entirely? When the battery gets low, it gives you the option to "shut down now", why on earth wouldnt there be a way to shut off the treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by durex
    Well, Im quite familiar with both of these options, but again, even when the phone is off (i guess its called the radio) it still says "Network search..." in the upper left corner. And theres really no way to shut the treo off entirely? When the battery gets low, it gives you the option to "shut down now", why on earth wouldnt there be a way to shut off the treo?
    First, if the radio is off there can't be a "network search" as that is a function of the radio connecting to a network. If it says "Network Search" on your phone, your radio is still on. The radio searching for a network will drain your battery extremely quickly.

Second, the Treo, like every Palm device, is always "On" as the data (with exception of what is on your expansion card) is stored in RAM. RAM holds it's data with an electrical charge. Disconnect the battery (or turn off power) and the RAM is erased. There is a small amount of capaticitor power on the motherbaord of the Treo to retain data even if your battery goes dead. The Treo in standby (screen off or sleep) mode uses very little power. The screen draws the huge majority of the power used by the Treo. When your battery gets low, the Treo is simply going into a "preserve data" mode until you can get a charger hooked up. Even with the power-down mode the Treo will eventually lose it's data if the battery goes completely dead.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteWill
    Second, the Treo, like every Palm device, is always "On" as the data (with exception of what is on your expansion card) is stored in RAM. RAM holds it's data with an electrical charge. Disconnect the battery (or turn off power) and the RAM is erased. There is a small amount of capaticitor power on the motherbaord of the Treo to retain data even if your battery goes dead. The Treo in standby (screen off or sleep) mode uses very little power. The screen draws the huge majority of the power used by the Treo. When your battery gets low, the Treo is simply going into a "preserve data" mode until you can get a charger hooked up. Even with the power-down mode the Treo will eventually lose it's data if the battery goes completely dead.
    Actually, this isn't entirely true. Previous Palm devices operated this way, but one of the 'improvements' in the Treo 650 was NVRAM which doesn't require power to hold it's data. Unfortunately that's also what causes the Treo to be somewhat less stable than previous devices because it handles the file system somewhat differently than previous Palm devices.

As I understand it, the point of not being able to turn off the PDA functions is that most people use it for scheduling and appointments and it's important that the device be on and running to be able to alert you of those appointments. When you use the 'off' button to turn the display off you're really doing more than just turning the display off... the device goes into a sleep mode where it uses very little power.

Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by durex
    Well, Im quite familiar with both of these options, but again, even when the phone is off (i guess its called the radio) it still says "Network search..." in the upper left corner.
    When you press & hold the red phone button, you should see it go through a disconnect process and "Phone Off" appears in the upper left corner of the screen. Some posters have said that after a soft reset (sometimes they occur spontaneously) the phone will automatically try to connect the radio. Also some programs force a radio connection (TomTom Nav 5 seems to do so). If you continue to have the problem, then try searching this site for old posts regarding network search.