1.    #1  
    After posting for advice in the 'Treo General' forum recently, I finally plumped for a Treo 650 with my contract renewal @ Cingular. I did a clean install of the latest Palm Desktop, and upgraded to the latest Firmware/Software via. the directions at Palm's website. Got a month's worth of Cingular's PDA Unlimited data plan and have been playing around with the device since I got it. One word: A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!! (especially as I was coming from a Treo 270).

While I've been waiting for my screen protector and SD card to arrive in the mail, I've read several posts about File Management, Back-Up, and Uninstall utilities available for the Treo. Before I start to populate the unit with lots of new software, what are the best programs of this type to put on the Treo? I keep seeing BackUpBuddy, BackUpMan, FileZ, etc., but don't have a feel for what would be a good starting point. Ease of use and reliability are prerequisites.

The only thing that I've put on the Treo so far is VolumeCare (well worth the promo price @ Treonauts). Are there any utilities that conflict with each other that I should definitely avoid? Your recommendations please?!
    Cingular Treo 650 - Firmware 1.31 - Software 1.15-CNG - Hardware A
    I highly recommend putting Uninstall Manager on before anything else. I too am testing backup apps at the moment and havent founs anything wrong with BackupMan. FileZ is a great tool for getting into the file system, its free, get it.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    ZLauncher is an excellent palm launcher, looks very nice, and helps you tidy things up if you have a lot of applications installed, plus it has an excellent file manager installed.

Resco is another good file manager. Has more in depth stuff, such as editing of preference files.

FileZ is another file manager, and is free. Filez is a good one to keep on the system regardless in ram, just in case you ever need to move something and your other file manager is goofed (or you're updating the file manager itself
    In terms of a launcher I havent tried Zlauncher, though it appears to be the favorite here. I have been using SilverScreen for years and love it. I also use PowerRun to run apps off my SD card, I believe ZLauncher does this as well.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Resco Explorer is real nice. It has built in ZIP/UNZIP ability. You can even explore ZIP files without expanding them. That's real nice when you decide to download a new app to try. From Resco Explorer you select file to download from browser when its done it asks if you want to install to Resco. Say yes and Resco asks where you want the zip saved. Then you get asked would you like to launch Resco. Say yes and you are in the Zip file view. Select the .prc and hold the pen down and a menu pop's up with an item for "install to RAM". How cool is that ? Zip file remains ziped on your SD card and the prc file is installed.

Zip is very full featured including password encryption which is also nice to have.

BTW: I don't work for Resco but I do play a Resco Employee on TV ;-)
    Treo 650 Verizon 1.04
    http://www.rgps.com
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Resco Explorer is a beautiful program.
    I'll second (or third, or whatever...) Resco Explorer. Does everything I need including ZIP file mgmt, simple file viewing, etc. Worth every penny.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    File Management: Resco Explorer. Used FileZ for a while and found Explorer much easier to maintain files (edit, copy, delete, etc.). Also includes a very good backup utility if you aren't concerned about scheduled backups.

Backups: For scheduled backups - Resco Backup. Had far less problems with this than BackupBuddyVFSPro. If you backup manually you can just use the utility in Explorer.

Uninstall utilities: Uninstall Manager is always the first thing I install. Works great.

I also use PowerRun to move apps to the card. Use Hi-Launcher more than any of the other lanchers I've tried.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Try McFile or FileMan. I have mcfile on my t3 and fileman on my treo.
    Resco Explorer.
    File manager is great.
    Runs directly from the card because it does back up too.
    And many other things.

It is many apps in one.
    I highly recommend it!
  11.    #11  
    Thanks to everyone who's responded so far.

It appears that I definitely need to put Uninstall Manager on my Treo....Pronto! I also noticed that quite a few Palm OS software sites had the option of buying this app bundled with another from the same maker called, 'Cleanup'. Is the extra $ worth it for this app too?

Resco Explorer looks like exactly what I need to manage files and do manual back-ups. Thanks again!

On the launcher side, does anyone have any thoughts on 'Initiate'? I've seen several postings here, and elsewhere, that rave about this app.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by parkinni
    I also noticed that quite a few Palm OS software sites had the option of buying this app bundled with another from the same maker called, 'Cleanup'. Is the extra $ worth it for this app too?
    Yes. Cleanup is a great way to monitor your Treo for abandoned files and preferences from uninstalled or deleted programs. It sorts and color-codes the files in RAM and on the SD Card and allows you to delete them, while offering a backup option. This means you can experiment with deleting unknown files safely.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    Yes. Cleanup is a great way to monitor your Treo for abandoned files and preferences from uninstalled or deleted programs. It sorts and color-codes the files in RAM and on the SD Card and allows you to delete them, while offering a backup option. This means you can experiment with deleting unknown files safely.
    Thanks for that, aldamon! I'm off to purchase it right now!

One more thing (before I leave this thread), do you know of a good password safe/manager...preferably FREE?
    Not free, but SplashID is a GREAT password safe. Highly recommended
    I agree. Invest in Uninstall Manager, Resco Explorer, and Zlauncher...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2714
    Not free, but SplashID is a GREAT password safe. Highly recommended
    Thanks for the recommendation, mc2714 - I'm currently trying out eWallet as we speak.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I agree. Invest in Uninstall Manager, Resco Explorer, and Zlauncher...
    I bought Uninstall Manager/CleanUp, and it has proved to be a boon.

I have Explorer installed on trial right now, and it's looking like a keeper too. One thing, though: can you open files from the SD card using Explorer with the 5-way nav pad? When I navigate to the file I'd like to open/run, pressing the centre button on the pad just brings up the option menu, ie. Info/Send/View/Open/Open With/Copy/etc.

I had Initiate installed for a day, and it kept locking up my Treo. Plus, I had a hard time backing out of it to get to the Home page/screen. Uninstall Manager eventually got rid of it, but it was hard work (involved a couple of soft resets before this would work).

I also put the ZLauncher trial on my Treo too. Seemed OK, but I couldn't replace the default Palm background with a custom file. I may revisit this again and see how things go.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by parkinni
    Thanks for the recommendation, mc2714 - I'm currently trying out eWallet as we speak.
    I use Yaps for my IDs and passwords. It's free and secure.