Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone else begun to experience this on their Treo 650's after a few months of use?

This used to be a common problem on the Treo 600, but it appeared to be resolved when I got my Treo 650. Basically, what's happenning is that occasionally my SD card "unmounts" which means the Treo doesn't detect that the card is inserted. The solution is that you have to eject and re-insert the card. It is a simple solution but a real PITA especially if you use mem manager apps like Zlauncher, PowerRun etc that require the SD mounted and detected...

I was confident that this bug had been resolved on the Treo 650, but I've recently had numerous unmounting issues and wonder if it was only me and thus a hardware defect or a general problem other users are also experiencing... Thanks...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 10/06/2005 at 12:55 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I've started to experience a slightly different problem...

I have about 15 apps stored on the card. When I switch to the card, the built-in launcher only display icons for 4-5 of them....

If I do a soft reset, all the icons are visible and everything works normally....

.. sometime later I'm back to 4-5 icons until I rest again.

Anyone seen this behavior before?
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbaker
    I've started to experience a slightly different problem...

I have about 15 apps stored on the card. When I switch to the card, the built-in launcher only display icons for 4-5 of them....

If I do a soft reset, all the icons are visible and everything works normally....

.. sometime later I'm back to 4-5 icons until I rest again.

Anyone seen this behavior before?
    i think if you get a launcher like zlauncher that will fix your problem.

and btw my SD card never "unmounts" not yet anyway.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    I have an SD Card "remount" feature in CradleCare that solved this problem on the 600's. I am sure it will work equally well on the 650's if this problem is now cropping up again.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Cradle Care is a great product and terrific solution for automatically remounting an undetected SD card (among other features that it provides.)

However I have a slightly different problem with my 650. After a soft reset (sometimes), my SD card becomes unrecognizable. Even removing and re-inserting the card does not help. When this occurs, even Cradle Care does not realize the card is not being detected. The Treo "card info" states, "no card inserted". After several resets and several re-inserts, it just seems to "fix" itself eventually. I can't figure it out.

Is this happening to anyone else? Any solutions?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman
    Cradle Care is a great product and terrific solution for automatically remounting an undetected SD card (among other features that it provides.)

However I have a slightly different problem with my 650. After a soft reset (sometimes), my SD card becomes unrecognizable. Even removing and re-inserting the card does not help. When this occurs, even Cradle Care does not realize the card is not being detected. The Treo "card info" states, "no card inserted". After several resets and several re-inserts, it just seems to "fix" itself eventually. I can't figure it out.

Thanks
    I think I have seen threads talking about this problem. Have your tried a search here at TC for this issue?

Jeff

Thanks

Try powering off, ejecting, then re-inserting the card. after a couple of seconds the card should be recognized again. For some reason, when it happens to me, powering off is the key to recognizing right away.

no need to shut the radio, just tap the red power button to go into standby...

Thanks
    All of a sudden this is happening to my Sprint 650 also. I have no explanation. I added no software. Soft reset-->no SD card recognition-->I try everything to fix it--then it fixes itself!

Sometimes I think that the folks at PalmOne are sitting over a couple of beers, watching what we go through, and are laughing and having the best time.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I think I have seen threads talking about this problem. Have your tried a search here at TC for this issue?

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I checked out TC, but no real luck with my exact problem.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NAL
    Sometimes I think that the folks at PalmOne are sitting over a couple of beers, watching what we go through, and are laughing and having the best time.
    Agreed!!

BTW: Kayden75's suggestion did work....but I would have sworn I had tried that before without any luck. But it did work for me when I tried it. I'll let you know if it works the next time as well.

Thanks.
    Would be nice to know the brand, model and size of these cards that are showing up with problems. I run a Lexar High Speed (32X) 512MB card and the only time I've seen this is when I've dropped the phone and the card pops out.

KW
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaswind
    Would be nice to know the brand, model and size of these cards that are showing up with problems. I run a Lexar High Speed (32X) 512MB card and the only time I've seen this is when I've dropped the phone and the card pops out.

KW
    Mine is a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaswind

KW
    My problem does not appear to be card related. I have tried three different cards once the problem occurs and the 650 does not recognize any. But for the record:

1) SanDisk Ultra II 512MB
    2) Lexar 1GB SD Card
    3) SanDisk (standard) 512MB
  14.    #14  
    ARHHH!!! IT's happenning every day now! I've missed a couple SD backup now b/c the card keeps getting unmounted for no reason.

I have a 1 GB PQI card which I've not had any issues with before.

Also, I recall a freeware re-mounting app created for the Treo 600 a while back but I can't recall the name of it. I think it might still be posted over at MTDN though... anyone remember the name of it? I wonder if it would work on the 650...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    just started happening to me too.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Also, I recall a freeware re-mounting app created for the Treo 600 a while back but I can't recall the name of it. I think it might still be posted over at MTDN though... anyone remember the name of it? I wonder if it would work on the 650...
    I too am missing overnight backups due to this recent problem.

Cardkeeper at http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=60329

The program certainly makes noise when the card is out on a Treo 650, but doesn't successfully re-mount.

I'm wondering: Might you be using ProfileCare or VolumeCare? I only noticed this problem on my Treo 650 after installing these. I mentioned it to Jeff Gibson, the author, and he recommended CradleCare to re-mount the card. It too complains when the card (physically) comes out, but re-mounting seemed to be inconclusive.

I often have to do resets to get the card to re-mount.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPetro
    I too am missing overnight backups due to this recent problem.

Cardkeeper at http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=60329

The program certainly makes noise when the card is out on a Treo 650, but doesn't successfully re-mount.

I'm wondering: Might you be using ProfileCare or VolumeCare? I only noticed this problem on my Treo 650 after installing these. I mentioned it to Jeff Gibson, the author, and he recommended CradleCare to re-mount the card. It too complains when the card (physically) comes out, but re-mounting seemed to be inconclusive.

I often have to do resets to get the card to re-mount.
    CardKeeper was the first application that I modifed as a palm developer. Then I created CradleCare that took CardKeeper and took the functionality to the next level and scanned the SD card and attempted a remount of the card when it became unmounted. There is are several options for card remount in CradleCare: "Attempt Card Re-Mount" and if that attempt fails, the option "Soft Reset to Recover Card" is available.

As for ProfileCare/VolumeCare causing this to happen, I don't see how this is possible. But I will never say never with this Treo Platform. I can tell you that I have 3 650's myself and I do not see this SD card problem on any of them. I am also running PC/VC on all of these Treo's. There is only one place in PC where the SD card is touched and that is in the feature called "Exclude" that is found in the Global Options menu screen. If you disable this option, PC will be doing nothing to the SD card. (This option reads the SD card and builds a list of files that are on the card. Very harmless operation but it does touch the card.) VC is also doing this same operation (or will be in the next release).

I hope this helps and if this someone can pinpoint one of my applications as the cause I will fix the application ASAP!

Jef
  18. DDD

Just started happening to me yesterday. Not one problem before yesterday, and no new programs installed.
    I get this fairly frequently. Card not detected by any apps. PowerRUN apps not working. Eventually comes back.
  20.    #20  
    Well, I guess I'll have to checkout cradle care. However, I'm still wondering if this is due to some hardware issue and if so whether it would justify a replacement under warranty. I just don't feel like shoud have to invest into a 3rd party solution (even if it might be very good app) to fix a bug that shouldn't be there in the first place! *sigh*...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast