1.    #1  
    I have a few email accounts (gmail and sprint) and dont have any crazy needs for checking my mail. All I want my treo to do is to retrive these emails every couple of minutes and organize them into folders, similiar folders that I have in Outlook. Can chatter do this?
    Also, how does it sync with outlook? I dont need them to coordinate regarding mark each email as read or whether I deleted an email on one machine. Thanks, I am new to all of this and am excited to learn everything about the treo.
    How are you organizing them now? (On Outlook that is.) Manually? Filters?

I would say the best thing, but maybe not the ideal situation you want, is to get an IMAP account, so everything would be in sync. Create folders and filters on your IMAP account, and everything syncs.

As to syncing directly to Outlook, Chatter won't, but I think it might be on the "Things to look into list..." Marc?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    I organize my folders using filters. How would I turn my email accounts into IMAP accounts? Is this possible? Is there any way to turn a gmail account into an IMAP account?
    manoosie - There's a great thread here about getting pushed mail from Gmail... http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=94243

insertion - Conduits? The HORROR!

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    manoosie - There's a great thread here about getting pushed mail from Gmail... http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=94243

insertion - Conduits? The HORROR!

Marc
    Hehehe...my mistake. Now that I think of it, it must be OWA I'm thinking of.

You're always so responsive to suggestions, its hard to keep on what you're looking into.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the link. That might be my solution, however I am wondering does chatter just check for mail every couple of minutes for a pop server like gmail. Isn't that all that outlook does?
    Quote Originally Posted by manoosie
    Thanks for the link. That might be my solution, however I am wondering does chatter just check for mail every couple of minutes for a pop server like gmail. Isn't that all that outlook does?
    Chatter can check your POP mail (like gmail) at set intervals, or using an IMAP server can recieve mail that is pushed.

Outlook (like Chatter) does whatever your server and setting dictate. For POP you, or rather your email programs, have to go to the server and check. As opposed to IMAP, where the mail is delivered to you.

A confusion many people have is between email SERVERS and CLIENTS. Chatter is a Treo email client; Outlook is a PC email client; Entourage is a Mac email client. Microsoft Exchange, fastmail.fm, Gmail, Yahoo! mail, AOL, etc. refer to email servers (also called services, hosts, providers, etc. also apply).

Clients sync with servers; clients DON'T normally sync with other clients (except via conduits, as in HotSync, but this is an unusual case).

So when you ask whether anything on the Treo can sync with Outlook, unless you're thinking of some non-real-time, manual process like HotSync, the answer is that sync'ing with Outlook isn't meaningful. What's IS meaningful is sync'ing with your email servers in the same manner that Outlook does.

Does that make sense?

Marc
  9.    #9  
    I guess for timing sake, i dont see a difference between a chatter getting mail every two minutes from a pop account and getting it every two minutes from an imap account.
    manoosie - There is no significant difference between fetching POP3 every two minutes and fetching IMAP every two minutes (except that IMAP is far faster and more efficient). However, IMAP servers can stay connected and receive mail CONTINUOUSLY as that mail arrives (i.e. within seconds) WITHOUT having to ask for it. And that's a big difference, not only in terms of timeliness of mail, but also in terms of bandwidth and battery life.

Marc

p.s. POP3 is inferior to IMAP in MANY ways; this is just one. Another significant one is attachment handling, which is very nearly barbaric in POP3.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    manoosie - A couple of weeks ago I was where you are in terms of learning about IMAP. I didn't get it or should I say I didn't see a real benefit given that I was comfortable using POP on MY schedule. When I learned of Chatter, I began to learn about IMAP and push email. After much reading, I have come to the conclusion that the real benefit for me in using IMAP and Chatter is that all of my clients (Desktop, laptop, Treo) can have exactly the same files/folders that are synched automatically. The value of this to me is that now I don't have delete email messages multiple times. While a lot of people will expouse the virtue of PUSH email and having their email sent to them rather than having to go get it (POP) this is not as important to me as having one folder per email account that is up to date regardless of the device I am using.
    I have found this to be a big timesaver. YMMV. Good luck on your journey.

~~~ gottago ~~~
    gottago - Well said. Actually, I'd put push around #3 on my list of the best things about Chatter, after 1) your point about seeing the same messages everywhere and 2) asynchronous operation (i.e. no progress bars).

Marc
  13.    #13  
    you guys are probably right. I will start to dink with it and let you know if i have questions. Thanks for your help!
    I would add another one ahead of push. IMAP can keep Read/Unread status in sync.