1.    #1  
    Just got my treo, and I love it. I was a pocket pc guy a couple of years ago, so I know about handhelds, just not palms . Anyways, here is what I am looking for:

-Calendar, Contacts app. I know there are programs out there that can do it all, and that is what I am looking for. seems like anything could be the one the treo comes with.

-media player. Sounds like ptunes(?) is popular, anyone differ?

-browser. Whats the best browser our there?

Others. What apps do you like, and what do they do? Thanks for your help guys!
    Welcome to the treo world...there are some great threads on favorite and must have apps in the boards. Search for those to get yourself started.

have fun
    For calender most users go with datebook5 or Agendus.
    Agendus just came out with an upgrade, Agendus 10 which seems pretty interesting. Agendus will do more with contacts than datebook5. For a dedicated contacts app try Beyond Contacts.

For media player Ptunes is the top choice for most users.
    For movies I am pretty sure that TCPMP has nudged it way to the top over MMplayer.

Browsers: I do believe that most people still use Blazer even with its 2mg limit. It is not the fastest but i feel it renders pages the best. Two other popular options are Xiino for speed, but renders pages oddly and Webpro 3.0 (hacked).

Other apps:

Chatter
    Resco Explorer
    Directory assistant
    Key Caps
    Volume Care
    Butler

Sorry that i didnt add any links, but with a search you will easily find ALL of the apps i have mentioned above.
    Get to know the device as it is for a couple of weeks. By then you'll know what you want that the supplied apps won't do and then you won't waste your money on something you don't need.

Tom
    There is a very long thread here about your 'six favorite apps'. Do a search for that and it should give you a lot of information.
  6.    #6  
    yea I realize I will be searching a lot for apps. another quick question: what rom updates do I need? where do I get them?
    Quote Originally Posted by manoosie
    yea I realize I will be searching a lot for apps. another quick question: what rom updates do I need? where do I get them?
    Who is your cell provider?
  8.    #8  
    sprint
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I just made a similar switch...

I am mainly still using demo versions of many applications before I decide what to buy, but, so far, here are the apps that I plan to buy and the freeware that I am using:

-Chatter (actually, I already bought this and it is great)
    -SplashMoney
    -KMaps
    -Palm DB (database program for palm and desktop.
    -Zlauncher
    -TCPMP (media viewer)
    -pTunes
    -DragonEdit (HTML editor that is still in beta)
    -keepoff (great on/off app)
    -I am still deciding between TreoGuard and Phone Technician for mp3 rings and other useful utilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by manoosie

Others. What apps do you like, and what do they do? Thanks for your help guys!
    I like playing movies on my Treo. I like Kinoma for converion and excellent playback quality.

For email, I like SnapperMail since it has good support for pop3 and IMAP.

For navigation, TomTom 5.

For finances, Pocket Quicken.

For password storage, Splash ID.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    I like playing movies on my Treo. I like Kinoma for converion and excellent playback quality.

For password storage, Splash ID.
    Splash ID is free now, and I like it.

For movies, I use FairUse Wizard to convert the movie, then I view it using TCPMP. Both are free. See the MultiMedia forum for info on these.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.