1.    #1  
    My Treo has been issued by my corporate employer, and to protect its data, it has set the device to require a password every singel time you turn it on. verry annoying when you want to quickly check the time or just glance at your e-mail. I believe they have removed any options regarding password settings from the preferences (can they do that?).

Is there any way to disable this besides convincing them how annoying it is?

On a side note, while the administrators can push me new applications, they can't see or use my applications/files can they?
    The password app is called Security. It is a stanndalone app, not in preference. Check and see if you have that app.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Is it running goodlink? Goodlink has it's own security feature, and if that's enabled you need to remove the software to get rid of it.
    Are your IT guys are taking precautions so you can't install any other software or just email access?
    intellisync/synchrologic does the same thing. no know way to remove password.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all the replies!

Godschoice: I do not have any app called Security actually installed on the PDA (as far as I can tell). Even if I go to the delete apps function, Security is not listed.

Shadowmite: I do have Goodlink on there, which is neccesary in order to access my corporate e-mail/calendar. However, it would be great to disable that password. Do you know exactly how I do this? I have messed with Goodlink settings and cannot find it. Maybe they have hidden it?

Ronbo2000: They aren't restricting what we install...that would be too much. I would refuse to use the device if that were the case!
    Well, goodlink password security is built in and activated remotely by your IT group. There is no way to disable it save for:

A) Hack the goodlink software (not something I'm going to spend time on)
    B) Ask your IT group to disable it (they will most likely say no)

To answer other questions, with goodlink yes, they can see what you have on your device and push other files to it. This is part of the evil of a corporate software package. If there is another way to get to your corporate email, find it, and delete goodlink! I HATE goodlink! It takes up almost all the space on the device and only does things that were built in anyway...
    I'm using the Sprint Personal edition of Business Connect, and although it's not perfect, it does allow me to get my corporate email off of the server... it's a program that you leave running on your desktop at work, and then when you're out of the office, it sends your emails to your device. It's a little buggy on REPLYING to emails - but, I can at least read them (and sometimes then I turn around and respond but in versamail to make sure my response goes through immediately). It's a little bit of work, but could be a good work-around for you.

If you have Sprint, ask for the "professional pack" rather than the picture pack, and BC comes at no extra charge... the pro pack is the same $15 that the picture pack would be.

Your IT guys don't have to know that you're running the Biz Connect program... although, it seems to me that if you delete Goodlink, they're going to know, because they won't be able to access your individual treo anymore...???
  9.    #9  
    Apparantly my tech guys aren't as devious as I thought. As you recommended from the beginning, there was actually a Goodlink Prefs feature that allowed me to simply turn off the password! (I apparantly was missing it until just now.) Its now off, and I can access my device freely. Awesome.

Will they have any way of knowing I did this?

Shadowmite, you mentioned that they can see my files and push stuff through. Can they also open them remotely to look at them? Can they open/see stuff on my SD card (I imagine so). The thing is, I don't want them peering into what mp3/videos I have on my device.
    then you lock those files with a password, it goes both ways hah
    Treoing & Loving it
    I have a new Treo 650. IT at my company installed Goodlink on my Treo. I was told that I should never try to sync to my home computer (no rationale given). I have not yet installed Palm Desktop on my home PC.
    I am concerned if I install the Palm Desktop software at home and then try to sync or add new programs to the Treo, I will mess up the Goodlink installation, cause other problems, etc.
    Can someone give me any advice ?? I would really like to at least be able to add additional programs, ringtones, etc. Thanks for any help.
    Istern, duplicate contacts issue that's one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHaque
    Apparantly my tech guys aren't as devious as I thought. As you recommended from the beginning, there was actually a Goodlink Prefs feature that allowed me to simply turn off the password! (I apparantly was missing it until just now.) Its now off, and I can access my device freely. Awesome.
    Thanks, I did not know that, you learn something new everyday.

Will they have any way of knowing I did this?
    No, unless your IT dept, ask you to surrender your Treo.

Shadowmite, you mentioned that they can see my files and push stuff through. Can they also open them remotely to look at them? Can they open/see stuff on my SD card (I imagine so). The thing is, I don't want them peering into what mp3/videos I have on my device.
    Your IT staff can't see through your phone but if you sync with your office PC (with backup of your SD to PC) then they have the ability to check what's on your PC.
    ronbo2000, actually, goodlink most certainly allows two way communications between the corporate server and the goodlink devices (treos). It's all a matter of if they CARE to check your files. Running the goodlink software runs a server on your phone which is ALWAYS connected to your corporate server (the client in this regard). I would imagine they won't care what you put on it... But the goodlink software does allow them to check if they wanted to.
    GoodLink, in it's current iteration, does NOT allow the IT department to see what is on, nor control what is on, your handheld.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lstern
    I have a new Treo 650. IT at my company installed Goodlink on my Treo. I was told that I should never try to sync to my home computer (no rationale given). I have not yet installed Palm Desktop on my home PC.
    I am concerned if I install the Palm Desktop software at home and then try to sync or add new programs to the Treo, I will mess up the Goodlink installation, cause other problems, etc.
    Can someone give me any advice ?? I would really like to at least be able to add additional programs, ringtones, etc. Thanks for any help.
    I just set mine to not synchronize e-mail, calendar, tasks, etc. We don't need to sync that stuff because Goodlink does it for us. But of course we need to install new programs!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    GoodLink, in it's current iteration, does NOT allow the IT department to see what is on, nor control what is on, your handheld.
    That's good to know, I heard it's in the roadmap as my company requested it I'm fairly certain... Do you know when this might take effect?
    Chances are your IT dept told you not to sync with your home computer because there really is no need to with Goodlink (as far as work information is concerned). Any info you put in goodlink contacts, email, notes are actualy stored on your companies exchange server. So if your device was lost or stolen they can just replace the device and goodlink will not skip a beat (all over the air). The only reason you may want to physicaly sync your treo with your PC would be be to back up your prefs, add-on software, and pictures. As far as install software it is usualy easier to email an app to treo then it would be to sync it.