Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please make this is a sticky!

I recently got a quota storage warning from my free Fast Mail account.

FOOLISH PRIDE! Foolishly thinking that all the e-mails I wanted were saved on Chatter and that FastMail was a temporary way station for e-mails, I deleted ALL my Fastmail e-mails from my storage from the Fast Mail Web site.

LIKE, OH MY GOD! Well, wouldn't ya know, all my e-mails that I had "saved" on my Treo were also deleted! The good news: I have only been using Chatter and FastMail since Sept. 9 and lost only about a week and half worth of stuff. I look at it this way: I"ll "convince" myself that I just installed Chatter and FastMail earlier today and that I'm just getting warmed up!

Besides, I aslo have old e-mails I have on (pop3) Snapper (which I'm not using anymore) that I'll be copying, pasting, then sending to my Chatter AND FastMail accounts for (SD) archive purposes. I had turned off Snapper for five months so I and this was before I heard of Chatter

ACTION ITEM: I know it sounds crazy, but I'm going to get the Fast Mail $39.95/year 2GB storage account in the next few days, unless the brain trust here has any alternative ideas. I'm trying to move away from using a normal desktop to get my e-mail. For the most part, The Treo is my computer and I'm always on the move...

QUESTION FOR CHATTER USErS: Once Chatter SD card storage (v 1.1) is finalized, I'm guessing deleting the e-mails from FastMail wil also somehow delete the stored messages on the SD card, though I could be wrong.
    Messages stored on SD card are the same as those stored in RAM; if you are using "Sync Messages" and you delete a message from the server, they will be deleted from the Treo (card, in this case) as well.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Marc,

Good to know, thanks. I was hopping there was a workaround on not getting the $39.95 fastmail upgrade, but at least I gave it the 'ol college try!
  4.    #4  
    I can wait till Gmail has built-in IMAP capability!

Until then, I had a scary thought: how reliable are these IMAP web-based servers (like Fastmail)? If one (or all) of them goes out of business (heaven forbid) or something worse, we're screwed!
    How likely? Not very, I'd say. However, this is one of the considerations that makes me prefer everyone.net these days - reliability and size (they handle tens of millions of mailboxes compared to - guessing - 100k or so at fastmail).

Marc
    Using Outlook or other similar desktop email programs, you can keep a local copy / archive of your IMAP messages...
    KevMeister: if you are forwarding your emails from gmail or aim...you pretty much never have to delete them so even if I delete all my emails using chatter with fastmail...they are still archived?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Welcome to the world of IMAP!

Just wanted to say, since you mentioned you use gmail, there is an option to "save a copy one server" in your gmail forwarding settings. I don't know if you set that or not, but if so, you'll still have those messages if you log on to gmail.

This is what I do, so I am able to delete my fastmail box weekly, since I always have the original still on gmail if i ever need them.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  9.    #9  
    t2gungho & addictedtotech: All of my messages are saved on gmail, but for me, having the current e-mail versions on my Treo is what I'm gunning for. (always on the go, having to use a desktop is too time consuming!) Having to forward my gmail e-mails back to my fastmail account looses the original sender information, which I miss!

Marc: Which version of everyone.net do you use?
    http://www.everyone.net/email_compared.html
    Everyone's 1 GB for 19.99/month seems a bit much when fastmail ofrers 2GB storage for $39.99/year:
    http://www.fastmail.fm/

...Am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    t2gungho & addictedtotech: All of my messages are saved on gmail, but for me, having the current e-mail versions on my Treo is what I'm gunning for. (always on the go, having to use a desktop is too time consuming!) Having to forward my gmail e-mails back to my fastmail account looses the original sender information, which I miss!
    Then set up your GMail account as a POP3 account and sync it manually when necessary. Make sure "keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox" is selected for POP3 so the messages are not removed from the server with POP3.
  11.    #11  
    Nah...after discovering the thrills of real-time IMAP e-mail dilevery, I'll never go back to POP3! I'm just going through a (quick and steep) learning curve right now.

The headaches I'm currently going through will be solved when Chatter gets to final version 1.1 and deciding what Web-based IMAP server to use.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Nah...after discovering the thrills of real-time IMAP e-mail dilevery, I'll never go back to POP3! I'm just going through a (quick and steep) learning curve right now.

The headaches I'm currently going through will be solved when Chatter gets to final version 1.1 and deciding what Web-based IMAP server to use.
    Setup a free account with Fastmail and test chatter as much as you like while you decide on your permanent IMAP server. I recommend you install the latest beta from Chatter. It is quite stable and any issues you have will be under Marc's microscope...
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  13.    #13  
    eKeith,

I've already been using Fastmail and Chatter (v1.06) since Sept. 9. My T650 has been amazingly stable the past few weeks and don't want to mess w/the Chatter beta right now. When 1.1 is finalized, the manual will be the first thing I read!.

There was one time last week when Fastmail was acting up and it took a few hours to get my messages. If this is a common occurence, I'll ditch Fastmail.

Which IMAP server has the best cost/service ratio? Please see my earlier posts on my concerns with Everyone.net and Fastmail. Are there any other IMAP servers that I am missing?
    I think everyone.net has the best IMAP service, based on reliability.

Marc
  15.    #15  
    Marc,

Re: Everyone.net: Reliability wise, Everyone.net looks like the best choice. Cost wise, that's another story. Again, paying $19.95 per month for Everyone's 1GB storage is extreme compared to FastMail's 2GB $39.95/year, unless I'm reading something wrong or not aware of other alternatives.

That said, I don't want to waste bandwith and start a new thread on IMAP Web servers!
    Oh, I didn't know you needed 1GB. Everyone.net is $24.95/yr with 250MB, I think.

Marc
    Everyone.net has many plans.

We offer a single mailbox at over 35,000 for 24.95 a year with 250mb of storage -- an additional 750mb is available for another 24.95 -- This service is available at domains like chatteremail.com or any college sports team you like (http://www.everyone.net/sportsteam_network.html) -- just google powered by everyone.net and you will see a variety of domains....

For 34.95 a year -- we will host email at your own domain (or provide you a free one) with 5 mailboxes. you can add 750mb to any mailbox for 24.95 a year --

and yes lastly -- for $19.99 a month -- you can get 5 accounts with 1G each -- as well as LDAP support and tech support for each of the 5 user.

You are in good hands using Chatter

Josh (Everyone.net)
    Last edited by globeseek; 09/18/2005 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Need to add my name
  18.    #18  
    Josh,

Thanks for the clarification. I plan to phase out my Yahoo account eventually and use Gmail as my main account, which I've already been doing anyway!

Since I'll only be using 1 account (Gmail), is it possible to pay a yearly price comprable to Fastmail's 39.99/year? I would gladly pay 69.99/year with one account with 2GB storage.

-Kevin

...Am I missing something?
    No, I understand what you meant. Have you thought about the free AIM account? Its pretty big (I think its at least a gig) and its free. Seems to work about the same as fastmail.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    684 Global Posts

I didn't ask you to go back to POP3. It would only be for emergencies, like when you delete your messages on your Treo and they're gone at Fastmail too
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast