1.    #1  
    I have sucessfully installed Tom Tom 5 navigator but no matter what I do I cannot hot sync. The hotsync always gets stuck on backing up handheld databases, even if I shut everything off on the hotsync manager. TomTom support has been no help. Any suggestions from anyone that has overcome this would be greatly appreciated!
    Slow down your hot sync connection. Most USB connections default to "as fast as possible" in the Hot Sync Setup. Slow it down to 115 or 56k and see if that helps. Especially if your on a USB 2.0 device -
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE
    Slow down your hot sync connection. Most USB connections default to "as fast as possible" in the Hot Sync Setup. Slow it down to 115 or 56k and see if that helps. Especially if your on a USB 2.0 device -
    I have the same problem. Just installed the excellent TomTom package and all is perfect except for a problem on the HotSync. Any ideas?

I get the following message:

"Unable to create handheld database. SyncCreateDB returned 4019.
    HotSync Exchange synchronization failed"

Thanks much.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Hello
    Well I fixed the 4019 problem by renaming the 'Exchange' folder and deleting the 4 files inside located at:
    C:\Program Files\HandSpring\T650\Backup\
    Now my error is:

-- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database CurrentMap.dat to file C:\Program Files\HandSpring\T650\Backup\CurrentMap_dat.PDB. The file contained database currentmap.dat data.

The Hotsync works fine and this is only a WARNING. However it would be nice to get rid of it. Thanks all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magohn
    Hello
    Well I fixed the 4019 problem by renaming the 'Exchange' folder and deleting the 4 files inside located at:
    C:\Program Files\HandSpring\T650\Backup\
    Now my error is:

-- WARNING: Possible database overwrite problem. Backing up database CurrentMap.dat to file C:\Program Files\HandSpring\T650\Backup\CurrentMap_dat.PDB. The file contained database currentmap.dat data.

The Hotsync works fine and this is only a WARNING. However it would be nice to get rid of it. Thanks all.
    managed to fix this too with a little searching....

Originally Posted by emair
    So I got a reply to my email to support:

We advise you to download and install FileZ from the following link and please follow the steps below.
    1.Open FileZ
    2.Click on "View and Edit files"
    3.Click on "Internal"
    4.Search for the files stated in the hotsync log(like CurrentMap.dat )
    5.Select one file at the time
    6.Tap on "Details"then click on "delete"
    7.Repeat the same operation for each file.
    8.Go to C:\Program Files\palm or palmOne\Userfolder
    9.Click on the Backup folder and rename to "Backup.old"
    10.Now perform a hotsync operation

They completely ignored my other issues. Argh. I guess I'll see if this works to rid the Hotsync errors.

Success! It appears that the lowercase versions of the files were the problem. Version 5.12 no longer creates them.

I had to re-activate my maps, but I wonder if you just delete the lowercase versions of the files from the internal memory and from the Backup folder, if it would keep the registration.

Now if they could just fix the other issues....

Thanks all....
    I have the same problem. 4 warnings...
    I will try this as well.
    Fast and easy method:
    - Use FileZ or Resco Explorer
    - Remove the attribute "backup" from file CurrentMap.dat (not from currentmap.dat).

Ciao from Italy.
    Or Just delete one of the 2 duplicate files on the treo- that way you can save space as well. I recommend deleting all of the lowercase ones.

rename your backup folder, sync and the issues gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magohn
    managed to fix this too with a little searching....

[I]
    Originally Posted by emair
    So I got a reply to my email to support:

We advise you to download and install FileZ from the following link and please follow the steps below.
    1.Open FileZ
    2.Click on "View and Edit files"
    3.Click on "Internal"
    4.Search for the files stated in the hotsync log(like CurrentMap.dat )
    5.Select one file at the time
    6.Tap on "Details"then click on "delete"
    7.Repeat the same operation for each file.
    8.Go to C:\Program Files\palm or palmOne\Userfolder
    9.Click on the Backup folder and rename to "Backup.old"
    10.Now perform a hotsync operation
    I decided to finally do something about these errormessages -- the four I was getting after every hotsync with my laptop (hotsyncs with my desktop doesn't get them). so I followed the above directions to the letter. once I started TomTom again, I needed to re-enter the activation code.

then I performed a HotSync.

two of the very same errormessages returned (only two, probably, because I only reactivated one set of maps.

huh?
    Try using FileZ to change the backup tag on one of the duplicate files. I did that months ago and have not had the problem since. I picked the names containing the capital letters but have no good reason for doing so. Tomtom kept recreating the files when I tried the above fix.
    One thing I fogot to ask . What do you have HotSync doing with TomTom ? I have the Install TomTom maps conduit set to "do nothing" as I have no need to back up what I have on a CD nor to install new mapos as I already ahve every map from the 8 CD's on my SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    Try using FileZ to change the backup tag on one of the duplicate files. I did that months ago and have not had the problem since. I picked the names containing the capital letters but have no good reason for doing so. Tomtom kept recreating the files when I tried the above fix.
    that did the trick. I guess I'd rather the right file gets backed up, of course. (probably they're the same in any case). I didn't bother fixing it for months, but that error popup got very annoying -- I'd have to view the log all the time to see if there had been some other problem apart from TomTom.

Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    One thing I fogot to ask . What do you have HotSync doing with TomTom ? I have the Install TomTom maps conduit set to "do nothing" as I have no need to back up what I have on a CD nor to install new mapos as I already ahve every map from the 8 CD's on my SD card.
    hmm, that's interesting. i actually don't have ANY TomTom map conduits set up on either laptop or desktop HotSync. eg, under "Custom" I don't see anything for TomTom.

where do you have these
    If I right click on "Custom", it's in the list. Interesting variation tho. I did NOT install TomTom from my regular machine (laptop). TomTom, I had been warned, won't install unless you have your set up in C:\programFiles\palm. So I went to my son's machine, installed PD there, synched, installed TomTom, installed the apps via SD card method and then went back to my laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    If I right click on "Custom", it's in the list. Interesting variation tho. I did NOT install TomTom from my regular machine (laptop). TomTom, I had been warned, won't install unless you have your set up in C:\programFiles\palm. So I went to my son's machine, installed PD there, synched, installed TomTom, installed the apps via SD card method and then went back to my laptop.
    I hadn't heard about TT expecting that directory structure -- would explain the misery I have had installing & updating TomTom. ridiculous. never have I had such difficulty installing an application that I like as much.
    Took me 7 hours to figure it out.....it's now a sticky under Palm OS Apps (mssg 3) I sent the instructions to Seidio and they reposted them here. They sending it out to customers who get stuck.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=102991
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield
    I hadn't heard about TT expecting that directory structure -- would explain the misery I have had installing & updating TomTom. ridiculous. never have I had such difficulty installing an application that I like as much.
    I just asked TT about this problem as I was trying to update to 5.20 (still not sure I need it but thought I might be good to stay current and they finally put it on the US Eng site). Anyway since I had a Treo 300 before, all my sync files are under Handspring and not Palm. TT install kept giving me an error that it couldn't find a .dll file. TT supports solution is that I need to re-install Palm.:
    "May we ask you to re install the Palm software to your computer (on C, then the TT5 software will install without problem)."

Haven't done that yet. Dumb! I may live with my un-updated TT a bit longer....
    Last edited by jrfaris; 03/17/2006 at 11:34 PM.
    That's why I went the other PC route. My Palm directory saved for 800