Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    In the contact list, I wanna order the names by first name, is this possible?
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
  2. #2  
    Not an option on my preferences screen within Contacts. . . . .

    However, (within contacts) starting to type a name does bring up matching options of first or last names within contacts . . . . . . You would still have to do this if you had it ordered by First name. I am missing the advantage you are seeking.

    Cheers, Perry.
  3.    #3  
    Here's why I wanna do this. I know the people by first name, however, I need to have their lastname handy as well for business purposes and the fact I have duplicates of some people.
    I'm just typing first and last name in the lastname field now, just curious if there's any other way.
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
  4. #4  
    if you start typing the first name, it should sort automatically for you, while showing last names as well.

    Like Perry...what am I missing???
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    if you start typing the first name, it should sort automatically for you, while showing last names as well.

    Like Perry...what am I missing???
    I guess he wants the default display to go First, Last rather than Last, First.

    But as noted, just start typing the persons name and it'll bring up a list.

    Otherwise, get something like Agendus that allows you to display Contacts in different ways.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. #6  
    Here is what I do. When I launch the Palm Desktop, I choose new contact and under LAST NAME I put the whole name (First and last) this way once I sync the palm all the contacts come up but First Name. It works for me. I hope this helps.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
  7. #7  
    I guess you could always enter the names backwards....last name in first field, and vice versa.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Un4given
    In the contact list, I wanna order the names by first name, is this possible?
    In short, the answer is 'NO'. Someone at PalmOne thinks that only people in the US are going to be using a Treo650 or else why in the world would they actually take away an option that has always been available on the older Treos. Even if the presumption by PalmOne that only people in he US will be using the Treo650, I still fail to understand why they would take away an option that costs them no extra money and in terms of programming also should not have been more than a couple of hrs job or maybe even less. Personally for me the built in Contacts program is absolutely useless because of the lack of this feature. Actually it's not even a feature but rather a very elementary option that anyone would normlly take for granted. As for solutions, there is only one solution, which is to get a third party software like Agendus to overcome this shortcoming.

    PS: No offense to anyone, but please don't make excuses for PalmOne on this issue.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I guess you could always enter the names backwards....last name in first field, and vice versa.
    Sorry, but that would mean for the sake of a work around to the PalmOne screwup, I must now also screw up my Outlook database. I just simply fail to understand why PalmOne could not have fixed, what has to be just an oversight, via one of the firmware updates.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  10. #10  
    Not defending Palm, but I still don't get the problem. In my contacts app, if I start typing someone's first name, it jumps to all matches (true, it's first and last name matches until the entries are unique). The more of the name I type, the more my list is narrowed down...I then scroll to the desired contact.

    Are you saying that yours does not do this??? Or am I completely misunderstanding the issue you are describing?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Not defending Palm, but I still don't get the problem. In my contacts app, if I start typing someone's first name, it jumps to all matches (true, it's first and last name matches until the entries are unique). The more of the name I type, the more my list is narrowed down...I then scroll to the desired contact.

    Are you saying that yours does not do this??? Or am I completely misunderstanding the issue you are describing?

    Same here, what am I missing? At most "this major Palm screwup" will cause you one extra keystroke in looking up your number. . . .

    Edit: Scratch that(the 1 extra keystroke thought), I played around and the keystokes necessary to "find" a first or last name would be no different between a file sorted by first name or a file sorted by last name. It looks for matches giving no preference to first or last name -- the preference is given to the closest match to the sequence of letters you have typed in. . . . . . so I am still confused as to why a file sorted by first name would be an operational efficiency for you. . . . .

    Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/19/2005 at 05:57 AM.
  12. #12  
    It's simple!, Just enter the first name space last name on the first line in add contact ( last Name ). After I did all that I noticed somewhere in The Palm desktop it gives you some options on how you want them sorted. Hope this helps you.

    Tom
  13. #13  
    Are you going to go through my address book and do this for me? Its retarted that Palm took away this option, I actually talked to the guys at the roadshow about it last year and he said it was Palmsource that did it and not Palm...

    Quote Originally Posted by Carz4ever
    It's simple!, Just enter the first name space last name on the first line in add contact ( last Name ). After I did all that I noticed somewhere in The Palm desktop it gives you some options on how you want them sorted. Hope this helps you.

    Tom



  14. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Same here, what am I missing? At most "this major Palm screwup" will cause you one extra keystroke in looking up your number. . . .

    Edit: Scratch that(the 1 extra keystroke thought), I played around and the keystokes necessary to "find" a first or last name would be no different between a file sorted by first name or a file sorted by last name. It looks for matches giving no preference to first or last name -- the preference is given to the closest match to the sequence of letters you have typed in. . . . . . so I am still confused as to why a file sorted by first name would be an operational efficiency for you. . . . .

    Cheers, Perry.
    I use contacts like this as well, Perry. I think ppl are venting about a feature they liked that changed. It seems to me that doing a first name sort would still be cumbersome; just typing the name alot quicker... usually after the third letter typed I have who I am looking for, pulled from across all categories, first or last, etc. Am I missing something?

Posting Permissions