1.    #1  
    I got my Tomtom5 in the mail yesterday and like a kid on Christmas I tore into it. Right off the bat I had install errors, specifically an error 4019 can't create dB. No big deal, I wiped it and tried again.

Now I have the product installed and no maps. Every time I open the app I go through a setup procedure as if it is the first time I have run the program. I tried their web support (no phone or live support offered) and each time I try to submit my question I get an error because there is no subject. BUT THERE IS NO SUBJECT LINE

How can I install maps manually from the CDs? For you people up and running with this software, how do you install maps? I have no menu, no prompt, and the CDs don't have an intuitive way of uploading maps to the treo.

I knew this would be a nightmare when I purchased the product (from old posts) and I know the upgrade is not entirely functional (from old posts). Does anyone have advice here?

TIA,
    l
    -Lammy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamourish
    I got my Tomtom5 in the mail yesterday and like a kid on Christmas I tore into it. Right off the bat I had install errors, specifically an error 4019 can't create dB. No big deal, I wiped it and tried again.

Now I have the product installed and no maps. Every time I open the app I go through a setup procedure as if it is the first time I have run the program. I tried their web support (no phone or live support offered) and each time I try to submit my question I get an error because there is no subject. BUT THERE IS NO SUBJECT LINE

How can I install maps manually from the CDs? For you people up and running with this software, how do you install maps? I have no menu, no prompt, and the CDs don't have an intuitive way of uploading maps to the treo.

I knew this would be a nightmare when I purchased the product (from old posts) and I know the upgrade is not entirely functional (from old posts). Does anyone have advice here?

TIA,
    l
    If it blows, why don't you just return instead of trying to install it? I'm still trying to figure out how you formulated an opinion considering you dont have it working. If you have a lack of computer litericy, don't blame the product, blame you lack of capibilities.
  3.    #3  
    Actually, speaking of capabilities, I was raging against TomTom. Notice I did NOT say that Navigator 5 blows. My frustration is with the company. Before you dish back, read carefully.

The support is unacceptable. Search for old posts regarding their response, and now I can't even submit a question.

Thanks for the insult...
    -Lammy
    I'm with Lamourish. A few weeks back, Tom Tom told me that I was the first person in the US to receive the TomTom5 software-only package. To be honest though, I've been afraid to install it, with what we've been reading TC (even the 5.12 update seems to have problems), and the TomTom stability poll on TC wasn't encouraging.

What to do? Installation steps & fixes have been posted on TC in the past, but what's the latest walk-thru with the buggy 5.12?
    I agree there support is a joke. I'm taking a loss on the thing too since it seems you can't sell the thing to someone else once it's been activated.

I'm ditching the whole thing as I already got a Magellan Roadmate 700.
  6.    #6  
    As an addition, I was plugging through the .ini files to completely uninstall for another attempt and I glaced at the box that TT5 came in. The VERY FIRST bullet point is "Effortless Installation." I just chuckled.
    -Lammy
    Call their U.S. support line - (978) 287-9555. You'll find it is outstanding. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems - my install was flawless, although a bit tedious (and the hotsync errors are annoying, but there are work arounds). I wouldn't recommend upgrading to 5.12 quite yet, but that is up to you.

If you are anything like my kid at Christmas, you try to do everything without slowing down to read the instructions or pay attention. To install the maps, you use the map CD and select the box to install maps. It will then prompt you for the disk with the actual map you are looking for.

I've been using for a couple of months now and have yet to really have any serious issues - it's really a great product.
    Tomtom does not do very well answering online support questions. However, the Nav5 product is the best I've seen for use on a PDA. I had a couple of map CDs that were defective and they sent out replacements promptly. You have to use the map installation program on the CDs, you can't just copy the maps from the CD. Once I installed the first map and activated it, installing additional maps went smoothly for me as I used the install to SD option from the CD menu (PC only). You can also install them to your hard drive and copy to SD if you choose.
    Try phoning or faxing TomTom support if problems persist...

Phone: 978.287.9555
    Fax: 978.287.9522

I'm not judging, but it does appear from the orginal inquiry on installing maps, that there may have been a failure to read instructions carefully.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the numbers and input. I sincerely appreciate it. In fact, my first CD is defective. I put in CD #7 and was able to install a map. However, now I have an additional issue. I have had TT5 up and running, but I have no icon available in launcherX to start it. I have never run into this before. Thinking of a shortcut, I thought I'd assign a hotkey to it from the phone application. To no avail. The only link that I have to start TT5 "Navigation" is in the native palm launcher. I CAN launch the contact navigator from LauncherX. I have never run into this problem before. Any suggestions?

Regarding the map issue, when the installer from the first CD didn't work I ran the program and there was a link to download maps. I thought that THIS was the way you told TT5 to retrieve maps from the CD. Instead, it's a TT-Plus service for which I (obviously) hadn't registered for and it spit errors back at me.

Oddly, I still can't install voices, but that is not a big deal to me.

I still maintain that support (without everyone's help here) is severely lacking, and the install was anything but easy.

Once I got the program up and running I was really pleased, but the patchwork way I am running it is...well...suboptimal. Things will be better when I get a launch icon in my 3rd party app launcher.
    -Lammy
    1. Delete both "start" and "CN" from internal memory, if they are there.
    2. Copy "start" and "CN" back into internal memory.
    3. Edit the creator ID of "CN" and change it to "xxxx" use filez program (freeware)
    4. Soft reset.
  12.    #12  
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! It works!!!
    -Lammy
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc2
    1. Delete both "start" and "CN" from internal memory, if they are there.
    2. Copy "start" and "CN" back into internal memory.
    3. Edit the creator ID of "CN" and change it to "xxxx" use filez program (freeware)
    4. Soft reset.
    curious: what's the purpose of doing these steps?

Luckily, I did not have any problems that others have spoken about. But, I am about to change devices and you never know what will happen.
    I have no idea, but whatever it is, it fixes the issue where the navigator icon is not showing in launcherx. Must be a conflict somewhere, but once the owner id is changed for contacts navigator, the navigator (start.prc) shows in the launcher.

Mystery to me.
  15.    #15  
    It got me up and running I still have the previously described hotsync errors and reset issues, but I expected those. I hope they will be ironed out in the future. The software is really great, once it runs.
    -Lammy
    Lammy
    Sorry to hear you are having the hot sync problem which I experienced two months ago. It is caused by two files of the same name and one starts with a capital letter. You need to use file Z to change the file settings. It's been so long, I forget the details, but a group of us cracked the issue back then and posted the solution here. My TT5 works great, but I haven't upgraded to version 5.12 yet since it is working. I also had to replace the software and maps one CDs. Once you get past the installations issues, you will love TT5 if you don't jump out of a window first.
    Good luck
    Larry
  17.    #17  
    Hey, thanks for the input. I'm still playing around. I DO like what I see. Does anyone have a way to fastswitch from the bluetooth GPS to a bluetooth headset and back? I get resets when I try...

Additionally, has anyone figured out a way to navigate to a specific GPS coordinate?

I'm liking this more and more!
    -Lammy
    I am running v 5.0 -- have not yet upgraded. My install in new. I spoke with TT support about the 4019 and the "possible db overwrite problem". Here is there basic response--
    re 4019 they suggested the following:
    1. Open the PalmOne Folder (in programs)
    2. Open your user folder (the one with your device name)
    3. Find Exchange Folder.
    4. Delete Exchange Folder.
    5. Clear recycle bin
    6. HotSync.
    I modified by copying the Exchange to another folder and renaming it. I then hotsynced -- no 4019 error.

Re the Possible DB overwrite problem. I was told that it really was not doing anything and could be ignored. It would be fixed, but because it really was not causing a problem it was a low priority.

I agree that their installations instructions leave much to be desired, but once installed I am very pleased with the software and the interaction with their MKII GPS receiver. There US help line was great. They said the website is being moved and will be up and running soon. I am glad someone posted the US phone numbers.

Anyone know of a source for an AC charger for the TomTom MKII GPS unit (the dc is 5V 1A type "b" plug)?
  19.    #19  
    Very strange in deed, "from the recycle bin." This is a new one to me.

I'm still tinkering with TomTom5. I used it all weekend with a major glitch, I typed in an address on "main" instead of "E main" and it took me to a nearby town about 6 miles out of the way. Decreased the WAF considerably. I suppose that this was a user error, something that maybe everyone has experienced. As for the errors, they're at a point that I can live with.

RE: power adapter, I'd try radioshack. They have universal solutions that I have used in the past.

Has anyone found a way to navigate to a specific GPS address? For example, I was to meet family at campground that had a specific coordinate system on their web page.

-l
    -Lammy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamourish

Has anyone found a way to navigate to a specific GPS address? For example, I was to meet family at campground that had a specific coordinate system on their web page.

-l
    TomTom does not have this option since it is intended for street navigation and can only get you from A to B only if point B has an actual street address. I'd simply program to the closest street address to the campground and go from there...