1.    #1  
    I will be upgrading to a 650 from my 600. is it as simple as putting in my SD card and running backup buddy. I know I can hot sync all my palm data( contacts, calender, etc), but what about downloaded programs like chatter,
    thanks
    kevin
    Kevin... let me spare you a basket of flames- DO A SEARCH. There's a ton of info here on this subject, but the way you're thinking of is definitely not good. Palm still recommends renaming your backup folder, installing the new desktop s/w on top of your old, and re-installing 3rd party apps one at a time.

Do your homework...
    DO NOT SYNC your new 650 TO YOUR 600 userid. You will create a brick.

Follow the upgrade instructions on the Palm web site or search here for one of the many threads that have dealt with the issue.

You will love the 650!

Cheers, Perry.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...418#post769418
    I did this recently and all I did was, sync the 600. install the 650 software and then sync that with the same user name and all data was transfered to the 650 no problem. Then I removed the 600 software.

Hope it works for you
    Hi Keith!

If I read what you did correctly. . . . I believe you are living on borrowed time with having a trouble free Treo 650. Device and 3rd party software settings brought forward from the 600 to the 650 (via a direct hotsync of the 650 to the 600's old userid) can cause several issues in the 650. . . . you may have just not encountered them yet.

Cheers, Perry.
  6.    #6  
    i did the search and got the info i needed, thanks to all, except Ketih, who it looks as though he was trying to screw me
    kevin
    I doubt he was trying to "screw you". His method probably just worked for him, but it has caused others some problems. At least he responded and tried to help.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Well, then, a clarification is in order. It was MY impression that by re-naming your backup folder before installing the 650 s/w that you were not bringing forward your 600 third party apps, and that whatever files were synched onto the 650 by doing this were not harmful. Palm even recommends re-installing the 3rd party apps one at a time and using the Treo in between- to isolate which app might be a trouble-maker. That's advice I've read many times on this board. Please clarify the above...
    Congrats.. I just upgraded to the 650 from the 600 this week.....The 650 is awesome...The difference is night and day....!!
    I got my new treo 650 and love it more and more. so different feelings comparing with other skinny phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Keith!

If I read what you did correctly. . . . I believe you are living on borrowed time with having a trouble free Treo 650. Device and 3rd party software settings brought forward from the 600 to the 650 (via a direct hotsync of the 650 to the 600's old userid) can cause several issues in the 650. . . . you may have just not encountered them yet.

Cheers, Perry.
    can you elaborate on the "issues" this would cause? but I guess if I read this right, the Palm webiste itself recommends renaming the backup folder - that speaks for itself. on second thought don't sweat it Perry

Best Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    can you elaborate on the "issues" this would cause? but I guess if I read this right, the Palm webiste itself recommends renaming the backup folder - that speaks for itself. on second thought don't sweat it Perry

Best Regards
    Hi ttrundle!

I made post #5 for two reasons:
    1. So kmcgill was not potentially mis-led.
    2. To give a gentle warning to Keith that he might not be as trouble free as he was currently thinking.

The forum contains many threads started by individuals who hotsynced to an old userid as an upgrade path that were now having problems:

constant resetting
    inability to sync
    inability to access the web
    3rd party software acting erratically
    . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .are a few that I remember

Right now Keith is having Hot Sync issues (in another thread), most likely the cable, but could be a problem caused with the direct hotsync to a prior userid.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/16/2005 at 08:45 PM.