Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    I have a treo 600 on TMO and MobiTV is not yet available on TMO or on the Treo 600 . All I want is Live streaming CNN ( is that so much to ask ? ) I have been looking all over for some software to stream it to my treo but alas have found no single solutions . I did download the mobiTVinstaller.prc and my treo says the software is not the newest version and won't install it but I do have the latest updater from TMO , can't figure it out unless its because its designed for a 650 and not a 600 ......

    Anyone got any suggestions for streaming live CNN from my home pc to my treo 600 ? Please don't say firepad , I already have that and no sound .......
  2. wildfirex's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #2  
    The best way I can think of doing something like this would be to take your cable (or satelite, or whatever) audio/video, convert it on the fly on a desktop machine or server into a video stream, and then stream it to a video player on your Treo. That's the basics in a nutshell, but as for each step along the way, I have no idea what software/hardware you'd need, especially if you're running satelite or digital cable (which I believe have Digital Rights Managment that may prevent this). The other option is using TiVo or ReplayTV (ReplayTV would probably be better, from what I understand its easier to pull the videos off the device).
  3. #3  
    [QUOTE=ghost1157]I have a treo 600 on TMO and MobiTV is not yet available on TMO or on the Treo 600 . All I want is Live streaming CNN ( is that so much to ask ? ) [\QUOTE]


    Yes, that IS too much to ask. CNN is not available.
  4. #4  
    Im not sure I would want MobiTV on my 600. The resolution wouldnt help and I didnt think the demo I saw on another 650 was all that great either.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  5. #5  
    I don't think it will be too long before it's available for 600s using T-Mobile, but it may not bel all that great: 1) THe 600's processor isn't too fast, which I would imagine might be a bit of a drawback, and 2) even some those with EDGE data speeds report choppy video, which T-Mobile does not offer yet on a widespread basis and the 600 is not capable of receiving - most T-Mobile subcribers can only get up to 40kpbs right now, which I wouldn't imagine would be all that great for streaming video with audio (it's barely good enough for streaming audio alone). Add that to the 600's resolution as mentioned by t2gungho and the overall experience may not be all that great.

    Trust me though, once available I will be one of the first people trying it!
  6. #6  
    Oh I will try it...but I don't see it being wort<
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    I don't think it will be too long before it's available for 600s using T-Mobile, but it may not bel all that great: 1) THe 600's processor isn't too fast, which I would imagine might be a bit of a drawback, and 2) even some those with EDGE data speeds report choppy video, which T-Mobile does not offer yet on a widespread basis and the 600 is not capable of receiving - most T-Mobile subcribers can only get up to 40kpbs right now, which I wouldn't imagine would be all that great for streaming video with audio (it's barely good enough for streaming audio alone). Add that to the 600's resolution as mentioned by t2gungho and the overall experience may not be all that great.

    Trust me though, once available I will be one of the first people trying it!
    Do you watch movies on your Treo 600? I sometimes do, and the resolution is certainly satisfactory. Bear in mind that the 600 needs just 1/4 the number of pixels as the 650 (160x160 vs. 320x320), so both bandwidth and processor speeds should not be an issue. You can easily get by with 16khz for TV sound - maybe even less. It you just change pixels on the screen that change from the last frame (instead of transmitting complete frames each time), the 600 should be able support on average at least 10 frames/second.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  8.    #8  
    I can live with the res , I do watch an occasional movie now , and I will find a way to stream CNN , it may take several pieces of software to pull it off but I will find a way ! I don't need a fast frame rate or hi-res , just want to be able to see and hear it .

    Right now I can watch streaming video from my home PC to my treo using Firepad ..... wonder if I could use that and then broadcast the sound using shoutcast to pocketunes ............ hmmmmmmmm sounds possible ...

    I would tend to agree that MobiTV probably needs EDGE which the 600 is incapable of , may force me to upgrade to a 650 but I'll try to get the above working first .......
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Do you watch movies on your Treo 600? I sometimes do, and the resolution is certainly satisfactory. Bear in mind that the 600 needs just 1/4 the number of pixels as the 650 (160x160 vs. 320x320), so both bandwidth and processor speeds should not be an issue. You can easily get by with 16khz for TV sound - maybe even less. It you just change pixels on the screen that change from the last frame (instead of transmitting complete frames each time), the 600 should be able support on average at least 10 frames/second.
    Great points. Given those facts now I REALLY can't wait! Thanks for sharing your light.
  10. #10  
    Important question for T-Mobile users who only have a t-zones plan and not the "real" T-Mobile Internet plan: does MobiTV have proxy server preferences that you can enter?
  11. #11  
    I downloaded the trial version of MobiTV and do not see any preference option for a proxy server.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by markwmccall
    I downloaded the trial version of MobiTV and do not see any preference option for a proxy server.
    Thanks for the info. So for me personally, I would be back to square one anyway and be unable to use it. Unless of course I change from the t-zones plan to the T-Mobile Internet plan.

    I might have to do it because of frustrations in not being able to use P-tunes streaming or use the many other apps that don't have proxy server settings.
  13. themirage's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #13  
    http://mobitv.com/treo.html

    For those who don't have a link.
    Treo 650 (Sprint)

Posting Permissions