1.    #1  
    Ok.....I am still getting use to my 650. The only applications I have are chatter, mathu, and mobitv. I have noticed that sometimes I will have a voice mail out of no ware. I think I have it figured out but wanted to ask you guys. When I see the orange led on which is checking my email through chatter or when I watching mobitv should I be able to accept calls because I checked it out and it goes straight to voice mail? Let me know if there is any setting that could avoid this. I love chatter but I don't like missing calls.
    Thats the deal with chattermail. When your checking mail, or on Mobitv, or websurfing, any incoming calls go to voicemail.
    You might want to check how often you really need to check your email, or just do it manually.
    I went through the same experience about a week or so ago when I got my 650. Every time I was accessing data (whether it be browsing or synching email) calls would go straight to vm. Just to clarify, it is not a chatter issue. In fact, I switched to chatter to lessen the chances of this occurring by using IMAP IDLE support instead of synching with the server every X minutes with Versamail.

I was kind of suprised people didn't make a bigger issue out of this than they have -- I had been browsing this forum for a while before I made my purchase and had never read about it -- but since it is not a "Treo" problem I guess most people just accept it.
    I believe this is only a problem with CDMA versions of the Treo. GSM versions are far better at doing voice and data at the same time. I have never had a missed call on my Cingular Treo and I run Chatter and Toccer just about all the time.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Just tried to call myself while on the web, and the call showed up with the option for me to either "answer" or "ignore". BTW, I have the Locked GSM (Cingular) version with the lastest software update.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    I believe this is only a problem with CDMA versions of the Treo. GSM versions are far better at doing voice and data at the same time. I have never had a missed call on my Cingular Treo and I run Chatter and Toccer just about all the time.
    Have you actually tested it with the solid green arrows showing connectivity? I was under the impression that GSM can miss calls but you are right that it happens with CDMA much more frequently.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Have you actually tested it with the solid green arrows showing connectivity? I was under the impression that GSM can miss calls but you are right that it happens with CDMA much more frequently.
    I'm not going to say that it wont or cant happen on a GSM phone. All i know is that it hasnt happened to me. I've even had my web page loads interupted by phone calls.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Can someone explain the IMAP IDLE reference? Is that a setting you make on the Treo or the email site?
    I'm not going to say that it wont or cant happen on a GSM phone. All i know is that it hasnt happened to me. I've even had my web page loads interupted by phone calls.
    Gotcha I agree that GSM is much better on the data/voice handling side.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Westie
    Can someone explain the IMAP IDLE reference? Is that a setting you make on the Treo or the email site?
    The treo has it when you use a program that supports IDLE (i.e. CHATTER). Idle is a command that (I believe) runs on your email server. So if your email provider supports IDLE and you use a treo email program that supports the IDLE command (i.e. CHATTER), then you are set. (Don't ask me exactly what IDLE is...I guess I could search through Marc's posts. )

Quote Originally Posted by Westie
    It is a server setting. Nothing you can do with Chatter or the Treo about it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Well this certainly explains a lot... I just made the switch from Cingular to Verizon at the same time I got my 1st treo (switching from a POS cell phone)... I figured the reason I was missing so many calls was cause of verizon.

So if Im going to use an email client (preferrably chatter or versamail), can someone explain to me how I can lessen the chances this will happen as much as possible?

Thanks!
    If you run chatter connecting to a IMAP server that supports the IDLE command, I would think there would be less traffic (depending on how busy your mailbox is) than if you used Versamail synching every N minutes. An IMAP server that supports the IDLE command will notify YOU when new mail arrives (no polling), so no new mail = no traffic. With Versamail, you poll every N minutes regardless.
    I'm still amazed this isn't talked about more here. Whenever I look at the GSM vs CDMA conversations, why doesn't this come up? Assuming this is true, I just re-upped for 2yrs w/ Sprint, might have changed my mind. What has been happening to me is I call someone, leave a message, start browsing on the phone/reading email while waiting for the callback without thinking that I'm blocking the line. When the call finally comes, it of course goes straight to vm.

Frustrating.
    Actually... heres a question.. I have Chatter installed, but I havent configured a thing (on any email software for that matter). Would just having it installed still cause this issue to occur or am I experiencing this issue because of something entirley different?
    Last edited by durex; 09/15/2005 at 08:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by durex
    Actually... heres a question.. I have Chatter installed, but I havent configured a thing. Would just having it installed still cause this issue to occur or am I experiencing this issue because of something entirley different?
    Just having it installed shouldn't do anything, since it doesn't know of any server to talk with.

Are you running any other programs, such as Verichat?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Yes and I think thats excatly whats causing it to go online... that really sucks about the no calls when using data thing. even my pos gsm cell phone let you do that.