Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I purchased a sync cable that does not have the sync button on it.
    its painted on it, but its not a button. what do i do?
    i dont have a battery in the treo to test it, but is this cable ok to use with unlocking. it says you need to hold the sync button on the cable. this cable does not have it, but is this cable supposed to be automatic at syncing into the treo.
    I don't think it's "fake." Without having it in front of me, I'm only guessing, but you should still be able to sync by pushing the icon on your Treo. However, for what you want to do, this wouldn't work.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I have a couple ebay crapos too. On mine, there's actually a plastic button built into the housing, but it feels "squishy". I opened up the cable, and there's actually no switch under the plastic button! It just pushes on the wires that would be attached to the switch if it were there! They work fine if you manually run HotSync from the Treo, so I guess it's fine, but it's quite funny.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    My recollection is that there's a patent involved which prevents some of these manufacturers from including a HotSync button without a license from PalmOne. I've had such cables in the past and indeed you just tap the icon in the HotSync screen. And, just checked, the cheap Insten sync-n-charge cable I have for the 650 is the same - no switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    I purchased a sync cable that does not have the sync button on it.
    its painted on it, but its not a button. what do i do?
    i dont have a battery in the treo to test it, but is this cable ok to use with unlocking. it says you need to hold the sync button on the cable. this cable does not have it, but is this cable supposed to be automatic at syncing into the treo.
    If it was a fake would they really even mail it to you?
    - a sync cable by definition does not have to have a hardware sync button, it simply syncs between your treo and computer

- for unlocking purposes, technically all you need is a usb sync cable. some methods (apparently the one you mention) show to use the hardware sync button in the process, but there are a couple ways to unlock a treo via a sync cable without using the hardware sync cable. otherwise, use the cradle with it's hardware sync button.
    I have the same cable from ebay. It works. Just press sync from the hotsync program in your Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I have the same cable from ebay. It works. Just press sync from the hotsync program in your Palm.
    Ditto... it's anoying... but whatever...

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    the usb cable charges the treo 650 as well. is that good or no?
    logically yes, but..any objections?
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

This is an old thread but I thought I would post this for the benefit of searchers.

I just got a cheap "Insten" cradle from Ebay. The only fault I can find is that it's a bit light in weight. It has a working sync button but you sometimes have to grab the cradle to keep from pushing it away when you press the button. All in all it's an almost insignificant gripe as I just loop one finger behind by habit now. I also charges my treo 600 from the USB port. The vendor was "ltrimming". They do a lot of business on Ebay.

I think I paid less than $10 including an additional car charger and shipping. The unit arrived in about 4 business days.

HTH