View Poll Results: which is better for treo650 sprint or tmo edge Internet?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • T-mobile unlimited data $19.99

6 30.00%
  • Sprint Unlimited data $15

14 70.00%
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    which is a better value and which is faster? are they the same on treo 650 I see that sprint is 5 buX cheaper ' is that it does sprint have any blocked instant messenger ports. and finally who charges more tax in NYC....THANKS FOR HelpIng.
    Can't speak as to which is better really,however as far as I recall tethering is not against the TOS with unlimited internet with T-Mobile
    Better is where the local service is . . . . each carrier does better in certain areas, one carrier is not best in all areas. Test who has the best service for the locations where you spend 90% of your time. . . . and then worry about price. Sprint will probably raise it's unlimited price once EV-DO rolls out, so you will need to compare then.

Cheers, Perry.
    This is true-what good is service if you can't use it ! But with that said,many people in NYC will complain about any carrier.The taxes would be mostly the same,no ? The variance would be a result of the difference in monthly charges,but the actual theoretical percentages would be the same ,no ?Personally,I have T-Mobile,I like them,the service works in my house ! When I had sprint,I had no coverage in my house,and neighbors who have Sprint have little or no coverage in their apartments either....

Also,do you have a cellular provider now ? Or would this be a new line of service?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by narbeauchamp
    This is true-what good is service if you can't use it ! But with that said,many people in NYC will complain about any carrier.The taxes would be mostly the same,no ? The variance would be a result of the difference in monthly charges,but the actual theoretical percentages would be the same ,no ?Personally,I have T-Mobile,I like them,the service works in my house ! When I had sprint,I had no coverage in my house,and neighbors who have Sprint have little or no coverage in their apartments either....

Also,do you have a cellular provider now ? Or would this be a new line of service?
    thanks for al replies.
    It will be a new line of service. I had tmobile before. Its good, but i havent tested sprint.
    I also have gsm treo 650 at hand. im leaning towards tmobile, but i wanted to ask these questions before i make the leap.
    Of course dont forget that the Sprint PCS data connection does not work well if you also want to receive calls. The Tmobile GSM data connection is much better in that respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    thanks for al replies.
    It will be a new line of service. I had tmobile before. Its good, but i havent tested sprint.
    I also have gsm treo 650 at hand. im leaning towards tmobile, but i wanted to ask these questions before i make the leap.
    If you have a GSM Treo, it won't work on Sprints network anyways. So, yes Sprints rates are cheaper, but you'd have to pay for a new phone.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I just changed a month or so ago from T-Mobile to Sprint. While I miss the functions of my old T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone, here in Chicago Sprint's Internet service is 150% better.

Also, while I haven't travelled much since the move, I expect the coverage will be much better nationally (T-Mobile really is worthless once you get away from cities and interstates).
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I am a huge fan of T-Mobile because my phone works in Europe, and I can buy and sell handsets at will whenever something new comes out. Also, they have no problem with you using the unlimited data on any device, laptop, Treo, cell phone, tethered, whatever. And no port blocking either, in fact VPN works!

Sprint works in more remote places, but I have to ask, why a cell phone in a remote spot? Doesn't one go far away to be removed from things like cell phones?

My experiances with Sprint were poor, mainly because they don't like bluetooth, won't easily upgrade phones, or allow you to use more than one handset on one account. (with T-Mobile you have own as many phones as you like, just switch the sim card into the one you want to use!)

Anyway, my two cents.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Sprint's is much faster, but there are trade-offs to each carrier. Like the guy said above, it's all about which carrier works where you want it to. Sprint may have the best data, but if you don't get a signal it's pretty much useless.

Like someone above said, GSM (T-Mobile) handles getting calls when transferring data better. Sprint's native coverage seems better to me than when I had T-Mobile. Even when T-Mobile get's EDGE going, it's no where near the speeds of 1xRTT, in the real world.

The other thing to consider here is the future of T-Mobile. They are just getting to EDGE when AT&T/Cingular has had it for a long time. T-Mobile is also not planning on deploying UMTS until years after Cingular. In my opinion, T-Mobile doesn't seem to be much of a player anymore, except for their plans. They seem to only care about the voice part of their service, which is fine.

Joe
    If you can get edge where you live then TMo is faster, plus you can receive calls when you are online.

I figure Sprint connection is more consistant if you want to stream music in the car or whatever.