1.    #1  
    I just bought the Port Authority 2 FM modulator / transmitter that is supposed to be so good. It is supposed to let me hear my Treo on my car stereo or home stereo. It uses batteries and/or plugs into the car lighter. It has the 3.5 mm jack so I plugged it into my newly purchased Seidio adapter bought at Treo Central and it causes my VoiceSignal VoiceDial program to go into an endless loop!!! Help! I don't want to have to return it (and lose my shipping each way, etc.). Has anyone used an FM modulator that does this? Any fix? Anyone?
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
  2.    #2  
    Does no one have Voice Dial and an FM transmitter plugged into the Seidio adapter for use with the Sprint Treo 650??
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
  3.    #3  
    Seriously...nobody? Anybody? What do you use as an FM transmitter? Does it cause the problems I described?
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Stupid question, what is the difference between the transmitter and a modulator?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    Stupid question, what is the difference between the transmitter and a modulator?
    Some say a modulator plugs into the cassette area (I think), but I have also seen where these terms are used interchangably. Here, this is really a transmitter that you connect to the Treo via the headset plug (with an adaptor) and that then transmits the sound to an FM station. Problem is, when I try to use it the damn Voice Dial program goes into a loop so I can't use the transmitter (or the phone)!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    I've just encountered the same problem using a Belkin FM transmitter with VoiceSignal. Palm support on their web site acknowledges the problem and their solution is to tell you not to use an FM transmitter when you have VoiceSignal installed. Personally, I think that's a pretty poor response. Anyway, here's a work-around that's not terribly elegant but effective. Find the file on the handheld called VoiceDial68K.prc and move it to your SD card. Don't bother to put it in a file, just stick it in the root. Now, VoiceSignal will still work and you can use the FM transmitter without the continual VoiceSignal loop/launch. But, as near as I can tell after testing this a bit, the VoiceDial68K file is the application that enables you to launch VS by button on a hard-wired headset. So, if after finishing using your FM transmitter, you want to have the button functionality back for VS, simply move the VoiceSignal68K file back to the handheld. As noted, not terribly elegant, but it seems to do the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTreoGuy
    I just bought the Port Authority 2 FM modulator / transmitter that is supposed to be so good. It is supposed to let me hear my Treo on my car stereo or home stereo. It uses batteries and/or plugs into the car lighter. It has the 3.5 mm jack so I plugged it into my newly purchased Seidio adapter bought at Treo Central and it causes my VoiceSignal VoiceDial program to go into an endless loop!!! Help! I don't want to have to return it (and lose my shipping each way, etc.). Has anyone used an FM modulator that does this? Any fix? Anyone?
    You can try to use a "Ground Loop Isolator" that connect in betweenthe seidio carkit and your FM transmitter. They have it for sell in seidioonline.com
    I've run into this problem with my application, HeadsetControl. There is a workaround however.

When you plug in a cassette adapter or an FM transmitter, Palm's detection scheme seems to flip back and forth between thinking there is a mono headset, and a stereo headset. This ends up generating button events that trigger VoiceDial.

Currently this happens with my application, but I have found a way to fix it. If you use a hybrid headset with your Treo, I can have HeadsetControl ignore the detection of the mono headset. This way, the button events are ignored when a FM transmitter is plugged in. When you are using the hybrid headset, you can set up a command to launch Voice Dial from the headset button (as of my latest beta, HeadsetControl steals control of the headset button from Voice Dial). This way you can still have Voice Dial with the hybrid, and normal operation with an FM transmitter.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

This fix in my application will be available in the options menu of my program as a "Ignore mono headsets" or something similar. I will add this fix in my next beta, perhaps in a couple days.

You can try my application at http://www.jwideas.com