Quote Originally Posted by treocentral2004
    Soon is relative. One of the things that it is relative too is price. I paid $300 for the first megabyte of rotating storage that I ever purchased. 1G in a USB fob sells for $50-. I recently bought 1G rotating for less than $1. It seems to me that 32G that I can put in my pocket for $2 per G and less to be all but inevitable.

The more interesting question to me is when does it drop below $100-. I am also interested in the form that the market prefers. I like both the SD form and the fob, each for different reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Soon is relative. One of the things that it is relative too is price. I paid $300 for the first megabyte of rotating storage that I ever purchased. 1G in a USB fob sells for $50-. I recently bought 1G rotating for less than $1. It seems to me that 32G that I can put in my pocket for $2 per G and less to be all but inevitable.

The more interesting question to me is when does it drop below $100-. I am also interested in the form that the market prefers. I like both the SD form and the fob, each for different reasons.
    Less than 5 years ago, we were all going gaga over 64MB flash cards. At that rate, and with a 1GB in my Treo already, 32GB doesn't seem so far away. I agree that the sub-$100 price point is an important target.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Less than 5 years ago, we were all going gaga over 64MB flash cards. At that rate, and with a 1GB in my Treo already, 32GB doesn't seem so far away. I agree that the sub-$100 price point is an important target.
    Notice that 64MB cards can no longer be efficiently bought or sold. One would hardly give up a slot for 64MB card, even if one has no application for a larger one, unless there is a significant difference in cost. However, once the difference in cost reaches dollars, as opposed to tens of dollars, it is no longer significant. There is a minimum marketing cost that tends to hold up the price of low capacity cards as the cost of higher capacity cards fall toward that cost.
    The other question is when will the devices be able to handle such cards. The 650 can't go above 2gb I believe.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Yes but Palm already demonstrated the FAT32 driver on the LifeDrive.

It means the next Treos... should be able to deal with higher capacity cards... (hint to Palm, and fingers crossed!)
    thas 32 gigaBIT

not byte