1.    #1  
    Thank goodness I found this website. I bought a Treo 650 a couple of weeks ago (upgrade from Treo 90) and suffered through Verizon's Wireless Synch email application. Horrible.

Then, I found this forum and read everything! I downloaded the free version of Chatter, learned all about POP vs. IMAP, switched all of my POP accounts to a new Fastmail.fm IMAP account, and got everything to work. I have to admit I spent much of the weekend getting it right. Now, I just need to buy Chatter and I'm all set. Between the Chatter manual (which helped a lot) and the forum, I didn't have to ask a thing from another person. Very satisfying.

A few questions now that I'm free from Wireless Synch:

1. Should I delete the application from my Treo 650? It seems that it's just wasting space and I don't know if it uses any bandwith in the background.

2. If I don't use the Treo for web browsing, do I really need to buy the unlimited data services from Verizon? If I'm simply sync'ing with my IMAP account and not downloading files, does email take up much bandwith. $45 a month seems like a lot if I don't need all of the horsepower.

3. Is it really true that sync'ing all day long with an IMAP account really doesn't take up any more bandwith than just going in once or twice a day to manually update email? If the two methods use similar data services, I'd love to be able to get email all day long as it arrives? (I know the Chatter manual says this method is about the same as manually doing it, but it just seems odd that it would be that way. Maybe because no matter how you download, you're still getting a similar number of emails in each method?)

Anyway, thanks to all the people who posted messages, including Marc from Chatter. They really helped a lot. It must be nice to hear so many people raving about your product.

Kevin L
    westie - I didn't (and wouldn't) say that being online all day doesn't take up more bandwidth than checking once or twice a day. There are SO many variables involved that it would be hard to know what the equivalency was. For some people with a good connection, not many mails, and "Efficient Sync" set (it's an option in the Beta), it might be like checking every 3-4 hours. For people who get lots of mail it might be more like checking every 5-10 minutes. There's that big a range!

Marc
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Westie, if I was you, i would stick with the unlimited plan for a couple months until you determine you usage habbits, or more accurately, how much bandwith you are using each month. After you determine that, you can select a more appropriate plan to fit your needs.

Just my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by Westie
    Thank goodness I found this website.
    You and everyone else that it has helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Westie
    A few questions now that I'm free from Wireless Synch:

1. Should I delete the application from my Treo 650? It seems that it's just wasting space and I don't know if it uses any bandwith in the background.
    I would if you can. It might be a part of the ROM and therefore you won't be able to delete it. You can try though. I just set up a friend on Verizon with Chatter and she loves it too. No redirector.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

5.    #5  
    Does the bandwith usage depend on the number of times mail is checked? I thought it was based on the number of emails downloaded, which would make it irrelevant how many times the Treo was actually checking for mail.

I think it's best to watch my usage for a few months and then decide. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    You and everyone else that it has helped.

I would if you can. It might be a part of the ROM and therefore you won't be able to delete it. You can try though. I just set up a friend on Verizon with Chatter and she loves it too. No redirector.
    I believe it is in ROM, (they have VersaFail on the VZW CD as an add on)

You can always use something like Obfuscate to "hide" it though.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Beware of Verizon data plan and minutes. I originally purchased a Treo without a data plan as I also only wanted to check my E-mail. 1 week later I went to Verizons web site and checked my minutes used only to find that they were something like 7 x 24 x 60 with a bill of about 5K. You see, when the data connection is on but idle (grey arrows) your minutes are being used. Verizon does not make this clear. So the default setting are grey arrows and you must manually shut off the data connection through the web browser, etc. This seem to be a fairly common occurrence for Verizon's customer support as they credited me for 5K provided I signed up for the $45 monthly plan. I'm not sure how far you can get on the limited 5MB plan.