1.    #1  
    Check is out:

Didn't even last a year in RTP opened office on Nov 1, 2004

http://www.newsobserver.com/business...-9232155c.html

Wish GoodGuy the best and hope he wasn't one of the people layed off. We worked together at Good and in the past. He is a GoodGuy.
    I made it. We are restructuring our sales organization to align more with the carriers.
    Interesting how the management puts a spin on lowering cost.
    Isn't that what they are supposed to do? :-) You don't hear too much from corporate america when m8
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    I made it. We are restructuring our sales organization to align more with the carriers.
    Glad u made it.
    Yea, lowering company cost is great!!!! It's a win, win for everyone involved. there is no need to put a spin on it.

I was totaly jazzed when my old employer figured it would be such an awesome move to cut 300 jobs here in Austin and send all but 25 to Shanghai, China and Hsinchu, Taiwan.

The best part was being flown over there three times to teach them how to better do the job I was loosing becasue it was not going as smooth as the suits had hoped.....

Aint business grand.....

But back to the point, glad you still got a job Goodguy!!!

Oh yea, then to further save a dollar and fifty cent, they sold the 25 of us off to some other company a couple months back...Nothing says thanks like a foot in the arse...

But I still have a job, so it could be worse..it can always be worse I am learning..
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    We are restructuring our sales organization to align more with the carriers.
    V -

Everyone was assigned by carrier.

IMO it comes down to TA not wanting pay a inside rep a commission for an indirect carrier sale. His comments in the N&O state explains many of the issues in RTP - Short Term Goal, Demand Generation, show growth and get carriers to sign. TA stated this was their plan, ramp up, sign carrier and then kick employee to the street. TA could have hired a HarteHanks, MarketSource or MarketStar to complete the above tasks but it goes to show his lack of conscious and ethics. Now 80+ people are out on the street, some hired within the last 30 days and others that left prosperious careers for the IPO dream of Good painted by SO.

My bet is SO, recieved the ok for demand gen, which explains why there were more lead gen people hired than Corp AMs last Nov. He must have convinced mgmt, after the first wave, that he could still do lead gen but in a carrier support model. Without understanding the challanges, ramp-up, infrastructure needs and the shark tank territories - it was doomed and by the time he realized it, it was too far gone. Gotta hand it to him though - he is a betting man and he is normally right but the house wants their money.

Enough of my soap box rant...Great Product.

Honestly, glad you made it.
    Last edited by GolfBallMan; 09/11/2005 at 10:37 PM.
    Obviously, I can't comment.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Gotta admit this makes us think twice about our future with Good. My East Austrian spies tell me the carriers are trying to make their licenses work only on their networks.

Hope that isn't the case because we deal with ALL the U.S. carriers and 2 in Canada (are there more than 2 up there?). I know Sprint doesn't do that with the BlackBerry licenses they sell us.

In general, our limited dealings with Cingular regarding GoodLink have shown the telephone sales reps are somewhat less than knowledgeable about the product.

What have you heard, GoodGuy???
    ea..

Again, I am limited in what I can say, but I can tell you this: you should not have any concerns with the future of Good. Your East Austrian spy is wrong.

As it relates to the carrier rep's knowledge of GoodLink, these organizational changes will dramatically improve that.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ea0423
    Gotta admit this makes us think twice about our future with Good. My East Austrian spies tell me the carriers are trying to make their licenses work only on their networks.

Hope that isn't the case because we deal with ALL the U.S. carriers and 2 in Canada (are there more than 2 up there?). I know Sprint doesn't do that with the BlackBerry licenses they sell us.

In general, our limited dealings with Cingular regarding GoodLink have shown the telephone sales reps are somewhat less than knowledgeable about the product.

What have you heard, GoodGuy???
    Good isn't going any where company is financially stable. Product is rock solid. They just basically brought in people and used them to get the attention of carriers -- short term growth and demand generation. Just questionable on why they didn't use a contract company but insisted on effecting 80+ familes.

"This is a significant part of our strategy," he said. "We've worked very closely with the carriers as we moved into these relationships, and we've come up with a new model that is consistent with their organizations. We now have 6,000-plus people who sell our product."

""It's part of our strategy..."

I think that the reorg kinda speaks for itself. Everybody speaks highly of Good, but rarely do you see them in the wild. Meanwhile, fundimentally inferior solutions, like RIM and Seven, are succeeding as a result of their carrier relationships. I think that Good finally woke up and realized that selling these sorts of solutions directly to the enterprise is an uphill battle, and that maybe carrier sales might be the way to go.

The problem is, and everybody has taken their chair. Good has an even bigger challenge if they plan to displace one of the other vendors in a carrier, or to convince that carrier to carry multiple solutions.

Good luck Good. I want to see you succeed, but the challenges ahead aren't trivial.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    I think that the reorg kinda speaks for itself. Everybody speaks highly of Good, but rarely do you see them in the wild. Meanwhile, fundimentally inferior solutions, like RIM and Seven, are succeeding as a result of their carrier relationships. I think that Good finally woke up and realized that selling these sorts of solutions directly to the enterprise is an uphill battle, and that maybe carrier sales might be the way to go.

The problem is, and everybody has taken their chair. Good has an even bigger challenge if they plan to displace one of the other vendors in a carrier, or to convince that carrier to carry multiple solutions.

Good luck Good. I want to see you succeed, but the challenges ahead aren't trivial.
    Well said and true.

IMO issue with carrier channel is the high turnover rate in sales people but you need constant presence to keep them up to date and informed. So you still need presence.
  14.    #14  
    Layed off 80% company wide. Sheds a gentlier side of Good but doesn't address the fact they were hiring sale people within 3 weeks of their actions.

Infoworld article.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I didn't even know Good was in Raleigh. I survived a restructuring last fall. Best of luck to all of the affected families. Luckily the Triangle is a decent place to look for another job.