1.    #1  
    after i was forced to do a hard reset i started loading the treo cd software onto my phone. docs to go, ereader and zap were easy addtions as was the solitaire game. but what exactly is java for and what do you gain by having it on the phone?

thanks

alan siegel
    For running Kmaps which is a very cool program, Java is required
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    If you have a need for it, then obviously keep it (I use it for playing around with Opera browser).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4.    #4  
    so, are there specific programs that need to be run on it? does it affect other things like just using the web without doing anything? for instance if i just go to the espn or google site, is java doing anything?

if you use a program like kmaps (i suppose that's some sort of gps? or opera-is that just an alt browser?) do you have to somehow connect them to or through java?

i have gps in my car and the web browser on the 650 seem fine. am i missing something?

thanks...this is all new to me.

alan
    Alan: I don't use kmaps (mainly because I am on the 600 and the display would suck). My understanding is that java is needed for that. (and I think for kmaps...it not really gps because you already have to know where you are.)

Opera is just an alternative to blazer. Its really fast but the interface and 5 way support isn't very good.

If you don't need either, then I would just get rid of java (or if you haven't installed it, then dont.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

You only need java if you have an application that uses java.

It wont inhibit the processes of any applications by not installing it, not your browser or anything else, unless they require it, in that case it will be obvious because when you try to open the program it will give you the error message "make sure java is installed".
    i have java installed on my treo 650 for worldcam viewer,they have some cool webcams and i can see my own webcam.works pretty good.
    I really enjoy Kmaps, and the fact it runs from the card with Powerrun. The bummer is the obnoxiously large RAM footprint of Java just sitting idle all the time until I want Kmaps.

Since kmaps (and occasionally Opera) is the only Java app I run, the Java stuff is taking up about 20% of my RAM. C'mon Treo 700!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I agree that Java issue is in a large part due to hardware constrains... I also agree that in one year from now something like 2MB on a future Treo (700?) won't be an issue at all.

If you don't plan to run Java (J2ME) applications on your Treo, you have no reason to install Java at all. If you read the application description it'll tell you whether Java is required or not. We haven't seen a lot of "real" Java mobile applications that are capable of showing what Java can really do. At least we haven't seen them in consumer space. They are mostly "hidden" on corporate Treos and Blackberries. 1.6MB for Java installation on a current Treo is a lot and is hard to justify that space by using Java for simple phone games only. And the games are not really something that Java is the best suited for.

The power of Java is in its openness, its portability, its connectivity, its security and its suitability for the large enterprise applications.

Java is probably the most open language around. You can find a myriad of open source and free applications written in Java that you can use off the shelf.

Java is portable. It is easy to port Java application to another platform after it was tested on one platform. KMaps is an example of a portable Java (J2ME) application. It was written for Treo and digested by Treo users first as we know that Treo users are kind of elite when it comes to mobility and I may also say, taste. Once "approved" by Treo users, KMaps can be ported to other platforms. For example, KMaps Blackberry port is already done after a little work spent on it and is already in testing by several Blackberry users. How many large applications you can port to another platform so easy? The portability is good as it ensures that you can switch phones when you like, but you can still be able use your favorite applications. Portability also ensures the large user base for the application and that is what makes the application features better (e.g. KMaps is expecting to see a surge of Location Aware Messages, Notes and KMaplets after opening KMaps to Blackberry users), so everybody benefits.

Java is a highly connected language. If you are writing Java application that doesn't access network, then you are using the wrong programming language. Being highly connected, Java is very suitable for applications that use a lot of Web Services and Web Services mean business...

Java is the most secure language out there and that fact is out of the question. Java simply doesn't let developer to write the program that can mess up with your system without you knowing that. Many people have seen numerous pop-up security boxes that Java application issues informing users what it is about to do and developer has to sign the application in a proper way to get the controlled access to phone features.

Java is very suitable for enterprise grade, business oriented applications with a lot of online services. This may not be something that consumers, people outside of corporate space value, but many people will start to value security, privacy, mobility and connectivity of the application more than they do now and those are the imperatives of the corporate grade applications. For example, Blackberry, considered the most "corporate" platform out there is completely based on Java (J2ME). All Blackberry applications are written in Java and Java is pretty much the only way you can program on Blackberry. The reason is again, Java's security, connectivity and business orientation towards online services.

I am not saying that now everyone should go corporate in the way of thinking. I am saying that consumers will look for applications more connected, more secure and with more "business like features" than now. These applications will be a bit more complex and will access a lot of online services and that is where Java comes to play. However, there are not many applications like that on consumers' Treos at the moment...
    Last edited by imitrovic; 09/11/2005 at 07:32 PM.
  10.    #10  
    thanks guys...i appreciate all your input.

not that i need the space but it looks like a deleted app to me!

alan
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Alan: I don't use kmaps (mainly because I am on the 600 and the display would suck).
    I use kmaps on my 600 and I'm very happy with it. I can't wait for the satellite photos to be integrated...
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by novfilms
    thanks guys...i appreciate all your input.

not that i need the space but it looks like a deleted app to me!

alan
    There are a lot of web sites that I use that require it. I look forward to the next generation, when primary storage is not so dear. I would use it if it could run from SD.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Where can I download Kmaps and what exactly does it do?
    Its a great mapping program and you can find it by googleing kmaps or putting kmaps in the treocentral search box
    Quote Originally Posted by alfred44
    Where can I download Kmaps and what exactly does it do?
    Just remember, you need to have the Java VM installed to run Kmaps...
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I'm not sure if the link has been given but you can get the java files by filling out the form on this page http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/
    Java would be worth it if some enteprising developer would create a tool like this which could move the java plugin to the card!!!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=93727

*HINT*

Anyway, java apps like Opera, Kmaps, and TrafficEdge are worthwhile imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    I use kmaps on my 600 and I'm very happy with it. I can't wait for the satellite photos to be integrated...
    Agreed - KMaps images look just fine on a 600.
    I like PalmFolio, too, a freebie linked off the Palm site where you download Java, that gets stock quotes and shows charts.