Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 70 of 70
  1. Mateen's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #61  
    Ok I searched and searched and have found nothing that would replace the native keyguard. They were all close but no cigar. This is what my dream app. would do.

    When the screen gets turned on (either manualy or by itself) the display would show only the Owner's page (this device belongs to.....). there would be no message asking to enter the fast pass and there would be no keyguard screen. Just the owner's screen.
    There would be a pause of 3 or 4 seconds to key in the fast pass (2 or 3 presses of predefined buttons).
    If the right fast pass was not entered within those few seconds, then the screen would turn off.
    Then the master password is needed to unlock the device (it doesn't have to be after the first miss. It could be after the second or third misses). At this point the display would show the owner's screen and a small dialog box on the bottom of the screen asking for the master password.
    Last edited by Mateen; 11/16/2005 at 04:50 AM.
  2. #62  
    Sounds great, now all we need is a palm deleloper to give a care.....

    I tried gotreo with no response...

    Mateen do you have time to check this out --->link
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateen
    Ok I searched and searched and have found nothing that would replace the native keyguard. They were all close but no cigar. This is what my dream app. would do.

    When the screen gets turned on (either manualy or by itself) the display would show only the Owner's page (this device belongs to.....). there would be no message asking to enter the fast pass and there would be no keyguard screen. Just the owner's screen.
    There would be a pause of 3 or 4 seconds to key in the fast pass (2 or 3 presses of predefined buttons).
    If the right fast pass was not entered within those few seconds, then the screen would turn off.
    Then the master password is needed to unlock the device (it doesn't have to be after the first miss. It could be after the second or third misses). At this point the display would show the owner's screen and a small dialog box on the bottom of the screen asking for the master password.
    I use TealLock and it does all this with one exception. The screen still stays on for the amount of time set in OS Power Preferences. Aside from that you can -
    1. Enable at power off.
    2. Set a "Quick Password" that allows one attempt and limit the time available for that attempt.
    3. Set the screen at turn on to show the owner info and just a blank line at the bottom for password entry without a prompt.
    4. The only thing that changes when you need to enter the master password is the [Ok] button will appear.

    Has lots of other options that include private records, allowing certain apps to run while locked, and file encryption. http://www.tealpoint.com/softlock.htm
  4. Mateen's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by topher
    I use TealLock and it does all this with one exception. The screen still stays on for the amount of time set in OS Power Preferences. Aside from that you can -
    1. Enable at power off.
    2. Set a "Quick Password" that allows one attempt and limit the time available for that attempt.
    3. Set the screen at turn on to show the owner info and just a blank line at the bottom for password entry without a prompt.
    4. The only thing that changes when you need to enter the master password is the [Ok] button will appear.

    Has lots of other options that include private records, allowing certain apps to run while locked, and file encryption. http://www.tealpoint.com/softlock.htm
    Yes TealLock has it all except the Keyguard functionality. I have even sent them an email and have asked them if they can incorporate this functionality in their present Beta testing for their next version but got no respond.
    One thing I don't like about TealLock is that there is a long pause every time to unlock because of decryption.
  5. Mateen's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tem
    Sounds great, now all we need is a palm deleloper to give a care.....

    I tried gotreo with no response...

    Mateen do you have time to check this out --->link
    Thanks for the link Tem. I wish I had the time to dig into this. Since I have no Palm programing knowledge, it would probably take me for ever to begin to start getting a program going.
    The only person that I think would give this issue any attention would be Jeff Gibson.
    There has also been a disgussion about this issue at this link.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97930
    Last edited by Mateen; 11/16/2005 at 02:02 PM.
  6. Mateen's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #66  
    OK here is the respond I got back from TealLock regarding the email I sent them requesting to incorporate the keyguard functionality in their next sotware release which is currently in Bata testing.

    "Thank you for your suggestion. I am not sure if this is possible. I
    will forward your email to the developers."


    Is it realy that hard to add a keyguard functionality? Is that why there is no 3rd party software out there that could replace the native keyguard? I am sure there is a market for it.
    O well.
  7. #67  
    Thanks for trying. My problem is that there is a glitch with the native keyguard. If the curser is blinking after a button is pushed the small keyguard window goes down and does not turn off the palm in the normal 3 seconds. It only happens every great once in awhile and its hard to sit there and reproduce this by pushing buttons but it happens in my pouch case. Sometimes the blinking curser acts as activity and keeps the screen on for I don't know how long.

    So my next phone will be a clamshell.
  8. Mateen's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #68  
    The biggest cause of the battery drain is the native keyguard. It does not do the job it is suppose to do.
    If you have your device set to power off after lets say 2 minutes of inactivity and when the device does its random wake up which in my case happens more than 10 times a day then the keyguard does not turn the device off in 4 seconds like it is suppose to and your device will stay on for 2 minutes every time there ia a random wakeup..
  9. #69  
    That only adds up to 20 minutes of the screen being on...is that really a major battery drain?

    I'd like to see a better keyguard alternative as well...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  10. Mateen's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateen
    Ok I searched and searched and have found nothing that would replace the native keyguard. They were all close but no cigar. This is what my dream app. would do.

    When the screen gets turned on (either manualy or by itself) the display would show only the Owner's page (this device belongs to.....). there would be no message asking to enter the fast pass and there would be no keyguard screen. Just the owner's screen.
    There would be a pause of 3 or 4 seconds to key in the fast pass (2 or 3 presses of predefined buttons).
    If the right fast pass was not entered within those few seconds, then the screen would turn off.
    Then the master password is needed to unlock the device (it doesn't have to be after the first miss. It could be after the second or third misses). At this point the display would show the owner's screen and a small dialog box on the bottom of the screen asking for the master password.
    Good news.
    I have been corresponding with TealLock developers and seems like they might implement Keyguard functionality in their next software version which is in bata testing at the moment. I will post as I get more info.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions